Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,466,764 times

Advertisements

All 4 of my kids (1 boy and 3 girls) have played with Legos. I think the girls may have received "gir" Legos as gifts but I never bought any of the special-for-girls Legos.

My 10 y.o. girls are in a Legos Engineering class this last week before school starts and I was shocked rto see they are the only girls out of 15 students. That started me thinking "Do parents consider Legos a boy toy or do they not think of engineering as a girl pursuit?"

I have collected Legos for over 30 years and they are in huge plastic buckets. I usually don't even include the instruction sheets to encourage more imagination. Their girl friends always run right to our huge collection of legos and they all seem to enjoy them so I never even thought there would not be a rather equal distribution of boys and girls in this class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM

14 posts, read 22,788 times
Dang, I played with them when I was young and my daughters played with them. I think that is a gift for either sex!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,414,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That started me thinking "Do parents consider Legos a boy toy or do they not think of engineering as a girl pursuit?"
I don't know any parents who consider Legos a boys toy. Neither do I know any who think of engineering as a "boys only" pursuit. Really? Some parents would think that? Wow.

As far as the Legos engineering class I think it's more likely other girls picked something they like MORE. Not that they don't like Legos. Who chose to put your girls in that class, NK?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM

I just reread last year's thread about Legos for Girls which is interesting but I'm still baffled why no one else enrolled their daughter in Lego Engineering Class. If this clas was available in your community would you think your daughter might be interested?

When I picked them up yesterday they were grinning ear to ear and were extremely happy with their class. This contrasts to their ho hum faces after arts and crafts classes earlier in the summer. They both said this class was the most fun they had all summer. i and their engineer dad are extremely happy.

ETA My 72 y.o. engineer husband's boss is a 28 y.o. old perky, fun and gorgeous woman. He loves it!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,112,356 times
LEGOS are awesome. I had no idea there were people out there who thought they were more for boys! OMG that ridiculous.

LEGO's are for everyone - boys, girls, young, old, and mom's and dad's, too. Heck even our cats like to play - of course they don't stack them so much as paw them around the floor like a dead mouse, but whatever.

I still see sets that make me giddy and wish they were under the tree for me at Christmastime!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,423,949 times
My daughter LOVES hers. She has a "girl" set (pink, light bue, purple, & white) that she received as a gift and its been supplimented with the regular colors - she's 2.5yo so she has the bigger size for now (Duplo?). I've been thinking about ordering her a bunch more of the people, figures, etc... we make all sorts of things out of them - garages for her match box cars and small dinosaur figurines, etc....

The last couple times we've travelled- I've ended up picking up a tub at the local Ross store to give her something to play quietly in the hotel room with. (I've left them behind with a note that they aren't "forgotten" )

Re: engineering - my parents weren't very involoved in my education to say the least.... When it came time for me to take some tests before beginning high school, the educators threw in and extra tests to measure "mechanical aptitude" . I ended up scoring in the 99% percentile. My parents weren't there when I picked my classes for high school - the advisor suggested some classes in engineering, or trying to get into some engineering program they had - I told her that I wasn't all that enterested in "trains" .

Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM

13,982 posts, read 26,104,883 times
I have no daughters, but my nieces always played Legos with the boys when they visited. We too have huge containers full, stored away. I will say that when eldest attended a robotics camp there were girls enrolled. However, when the boys went to horseback riding camp, they were the only males. The director told me she was always happy to see boys, as they rarely signed up. Our HS equestrian team is all female too. I always thought that was curious.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM

22,873 posts, read 48,221,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That started me thinking "Do parents consider Legos a boy toy or do they not think of engineering as a girl pursuit?"
No to both.
Legos are not a boy toy, and engineering is not a boy pursuit.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Mattie- save those Legos for your new grandchild coming soon. You will be glad you did. I saved son's matchbox cars, He Man stuff including Castle Grayskull and loads of other toys as well as My Little Pony toys. What goes around comes around.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,414,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

I still see sets that make me giddy and wish they were under the tree for me at Christmastime!
I want the Legos architecture set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting