Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times

Advertisements

Seems like a few parents have posted here that have experience with allergies vs. intolerances...

ETA - long and kinda gross, sorry!

Anyway - when BabyGirl was about 5 months , we gave her a few bites of banana. She seemed to enjoy it and after eating lunch , my husband put her down to sleep. When we checked on her, she was still asleep and had thrown up (alot!) in her crib. Gave her a bath and she seemed ok. The pedi it's "normal" for kids to have upsets and not to worry. (She never even really spat up as a baby on either the breast or bottle)

A few months after that , she tried banana again - got sick again. She seems to be fine if she has a banana muffin or banana bread.

In April, we took her to Hawaii. We went to a Luau where there was fruit on the table. We were seated with people we didn;t know and someone at the table peeled a banana and gave my daughter a nibble (without asking us grrr...) She only had a tiny bit , about the size of a small grape. She picked at the food at dinner - then fell fast asleep. I moved her from her chair to her stroller... She slept thru a very loud dinner show and the walk (several blocks along the blvd on Waikiki beach) back to the hotel. When I went to take her out of the stroller, she got really, really sick. Hotel doc said she was ok but that we might want to have her checked for banana allergy.

Took her to the allergist when we got home, negative for scratch test and the doc there said she just has a intolerance to banana.

So..... went back to Hawaii two weeks ago. While we were there , I was very very careful to check everything she ate for banana. The morning we flew out , she had a few bites of a pastry or two from the breakfast buffet, some cereal, and pineapple/mixed fruit juice at around 8am. She had some milk and I bought some food for the plane. She was her normal happy self (she flys all the time and wasn't upset at all) - Normally - she's a bit "keyed up" at take-off and then settles in for a nap a couple hours into a flight. This time, she wanted to snuggle as soon as we got on the plane. She seemed kinda drowsy, so I let her sit in my lap..... as we took off, she got sick all over me and was sick for about the first two hours of the flight. Slept the next two and seemed "ok"the last hour of the flight.

I don't think she had anyting with banana in it the morning we left, my husband thinks she might have had a tiny bite of a cream centered type breakfast pastry - I assumed it was a cheese filling but maybe it had banana?

Anyway- anyone have any ideas ? Is there something else that she could be having this reaction to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 06:57 PM

645 posts, read 988,711 times
Hello! This seems rather curious. Does she have any other reactions when ingesting banana, ie: hives, itching, swelling, etc?

Does she have a similar reaction to other foods, ie: dairy, wheat, other types of fruits? Any skin irritations that you've noticed, ie: welts after touching latex??

Do either you or your spouse have food allergies, etc??

Hopefully, it is only an intolerance to banana ... it is not that uncommon. But I would be curious if she develops similar reactions to other foods or items.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
I have lots of allergies and they are in my family. Dairy, wheat, eggs, peanuts, shellfish.
I suffer bad symptoms with some foods, and anaphalaxis with others.

If you can't eat something, you can't. Sometimes people test negative for a food, but every time they eat it, they get sick. I wouldn't eat it.

Also, is the baby eating anything with wheat in it?

In order to find out what is bothering you, you have to do avoid a specific food to find out. If the symptoms continue, you remove another suspect from the diet.
You have to be sure to read labels and really stick to simple nutritional foods.

The Food Allergy Network

The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network

Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 PM

No, she doesn't seem to have any other reaction - it seems that she gets really sleepy and then a couple hours later, or when woken gets violently, violently ill. Both episodes in Hawaii (in the room and on the plane) were prolonged bouts of vomiting but no other reaction - it seems like once it's out of her stomach, it's out of her sytem.

The doc who gave her the scratch test said "intolernace, not allergy" because she was non-reactive to the scratch and doesnt experince any hives, runny eyes, difficulty in breathing, etc....

I think one of my husbands cousins kids has "allergies" and one of my nephews (husband's sister's kid) is one of those kids who seems to be allergic to everything but air (eggs, wheat, dairy, nuts, etc..). But I think that's about it. My daughter is a "donor egg baby" so I'm not sure if the donor had allergies in her family.

My daughter - eats just about everything under the sun, she's never been sick other than these episodes..... She doesn't seem to have any reaction to latex, and eats kiwi, mango and avocado all the time.

It was so scary on the plane though ..... thankfully, the flight attendant were great and my fellow passengers were very understanding. (I had offers of childrens tylenol, extra clothes for the baby from another mom and a woman offer me her souvenier t-shirt) I had a private car picking me up at the airport and the driver was wonderful. BabyGirl just wanted me to hold her and I was struggling with carrying her, the umbrella stroller, our carry-on - wondering how I was going to get our suitcase - then they announced that oversize items were being dropped elsewhere (her carseat). And get everything to the pick-up area. The driver had noticed that I was a women travelling alone with a baby on the pick-up list so he had decided to park the car and come in and get me... he was just an angel, I didn't see any point in beating around the bush - I told him what happened and that I knew we stunk! (I had washed up best I could and changed BabyGirls clothes into the extras I brought bue we still reeked). I tipped him all the cash I had ($25 bucks on a $70 fare) and it still didn't seem like enough, LOL

Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
How much was she out in the sun?

Was she lethargic? Is she old enough to tell you if she has a headache?

Read up on sun allergies and talk to her doctor about them.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
An intolerance and an allergy are two different things. You might have a lactose intolerance, meaning that you vomit or have diarrhea if you have milk products, but you may not get as ill if you just have a little bit. An allergy is much more serious: you'll have symptoms every time you eat it, and even a tiny bit might provoke symptoms. I think that usually they're systemic... it seems like falling asleep and vomiting might fall under that, but I'm not sure.

I will say this: My daughter has a shellfish allergy. She ate it and had mouth symptoms (itching, burning). The allergist did a prick test, which came out negative. He used the commercial proteins that they sell for allergy testing. He said that some people don't have a positive reaction to the protein, and had me bring in a cooked shrimp and some cooked lobster. He did the prick test again, this time using the actual seafood, and she tested positive.

I'd go back to the allergist and see if he can do a prick test with an actual banana, if he was using the commercial proteins before.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
An intolerance and an allergy are two different things. You might have a lactose intolerance, meaning that you vomit or have diarrhea if you have milk products, but you may not get as ill if you just have a little bit. An allergy is much more serious: you'll have symptoms every time you eat it, and even a tiny bit might provoke symptoms. I think that usually they're systemic... it seems like falling asleep and vomiting might fall under that, but I'm not sure.

I will say this: My daughter has a shellfish allergy. She ate it and had mouth symptoms (itching, burning). The allergist did a prick test, which came out negative. He used the commercial proteins that they sell for allergy testing. He said that some people don't have a positive reaction to the protein, and had me bring in a cooked shrimp and some cooked lobster. He did the prick test again, this time using the actual seafood, and she tested positive.

I'd go back to the allergist and see if he can do a prick test with an actual banana, if he was using the commercial proteins before.
Hmm... when I took her to the allergist , he said the same thing, that an actual banana was more accurate than the solution they use. He happened to have eaten a banana with his lunch and asked if I was okay with him grabbing the peel out of his trash can and having the nurse use that in addition to the regular stuff. So she has had a test with both the commercial prep and the peel.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How much was she out in the sun?

Was she lethargic? Is she old enough to tell you if she has a headache?

Read up on sun allergies and talk to her doctor about them.
I don't think she had too much sun. She is very very fair , very blonde with very light blue eyes so I'm extra careful about the sun. When we go to Waikiki - our routine is pretty much the same every day. Breakfast, zoo from about 9 am til noon (it's shaded there and she's in loose lightweight clothing that covers pretty much everything plus a hat and sunscreen. I ship my big jogging stroller over so she's out of the sun when she's in it. We have a light picnic lunch at the zoo ( shaded area) and then back to the room for a "lie down" - she might nap, or we do puzzles, color,play with legos, other quiet activities. Beach time from around 2:30 til maybe 4pm or so. Again - she's covered up (rashguard, surfer shorts and a hat plus sunscreen). I'm make sure that she has plenty of water and if she seems at all to be overheating , I take her to the mall or room straightway.

The morning we left - we went to the zoo for a couple hours, but stayed in the shade while we were there and then back to the room to pack. She seemed fine at the airport (thru checking in, security, at the gate, etc). My husband is still there until Sun and if I had had an inkling that she was going to be ill - I would have never gotten on the flight. When she was sick, I didn't care that I had vomit all down the front of my shirt and jeans, in my hair, etc..or about the people around me, I just felt so helpless!

I'm going to talk to the pedi on Monday, I'll ask about the sun thing for sure.

She's only two - so I don't think she could have told me about having a headache. She didm't say much of anything til she got sick, and then just that she "was ucky" but I'm not even sure if she meant because she was soiled or because she didn't feel well (?)

Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Maybe this time the mixed fruit juice was the culprit. It might have had banana in it.

There are just some foods that some people can't handle. As a parent, once you identify one of those foods, you just have to make sure that your kid doesn't eat anything with that ingredient. My daughter is not allergic to nuts, but she vomits when she eats them. I just read labels and don't give her anything with tree nuts in it.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Maybe this time the mixed fruit juice was the culprit. It might have had banana in it.

There are just some foods that some people can't handle. As a parent, once you identify one of those foods, you just have to make sure that your kid doesn't eat anything with that ingredient. My daughter is not allergic to nuts, but she vomits when she eats them. I just read labels and don't give her anything with tree nuts in it.
That's what I'm thinking, I think it was some sort of pineapple (which she has here all the time) with guava , passionfruit or maybe papya. I'm thinking of calling the hotel and maybe seeing if there is someone in the kitchen I can talk to.... it might be helpful to know what exactly was in the fruit juice...

Thanks everyone for their replies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting