Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,653,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I get where you are going with your questions but her son has ADHD which is probably the biggest reason he's making these messes and no amount of rule making and consequences will sink in over night.

But breaking it down into steps is critical because telling an ADHDer to "clean up that mess" is way too abstract and will get you no where.
Why do you say that?

My youngest is ADHD and she cleans up after herself just fine. Sure it was a struggle at first when she was 3; but now, no big deal.

She knows if I have to clean, it gets thrown away, so she cleans; heck her room is always one of the cleanest (ie, no drinks on the bedside table, bed made, hamper closed, etc..) in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,313,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
My son has too many toys. Although we have culled them several times, he still has too many in a small space. He plays with toys he had when he was really young in new, creative ways.
Put most of it in the garage except maybe 25% and rotate them in and out.
Also train them to help you put them away.

If you let them they will leave it all over the house.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 AM

753 posts, read 1,488,168 times
Thank you for all the suggestions. We do have the rule he must put them up before getting more out. He doesn't follow it. Consequence has been putting toys away for several weeks.

The ADHD thing does manifest itself in that, as someone stated, cleaning up is a struggle both because he can't break it down into small tasks and because he has a different brain. I can't speak for anyone else's child's ADHD but his is severe and medication helps a lot but doesn't teach good habits. I know that's our job. My husband and I do need to redouble our efforts on teaching the habit. I like the idea of picking up after or before an evening event such as tv.

Right now we have no garage and no extra room. Large amounts may have to go in my closet or something. We do need to go back to the token system we were doing where he had to earn electronics time. His DS or the Wii was about all that motivated him.

Thank you for the discussion and helping me with ideas. You have motivated me to stop expecting him to do this without lots and lots of guidance and supervision. And especially thanks to those who understand ADHD and know that it is a huge factor in this situation.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:35 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,147,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
We do this too. Before a snack and TV every evening, all the toys have to be picked up. the longer it takes, the less TV they get.
Genius. I'm writing this one down.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,246,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

Also, I learned from my friend with 5 kids and a spotless house...every night BEFORE dinner the playroom/bedrooms need to be cleaned. Anything left out is given away (and I really do it!).
This. Pretty simple. ADHD or not this approach makes it black and white and easy to understand. Get rid of it if it remains on the floor.

Our 4 year old has no problem with this concept as long as we're consistent.

Also, sound like you have too many toys to begin with, especially for a kiddo with ADHD. I have a toddler and a 4 year old and I gave away half our stuff. As someone mentioned earlier, kids a century ago did just fine with hardly any toys and no TV.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,380,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
This. Pretty simple. ADHD or not this approach makes it black and white and easy to understand. Get rid of it if it remains on the floor.

Our 4 year old has no problem with this concept as long as we're consistent.

Also, sound like you have too many toys to begin with, especially for a kiddo with ADHD. I have a toddler and a 4 year old and I gave away half our stuff. As someone mentioned earlier, kids a century ago did just fine with hardly any toys and no TV.
This. A bunch of small tasks might be problematic but a black and white "if it's out, it's gone" is very easy to understand as long as it's enforced every time.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,868,347 times
Great suggestions. I totally agree that your son probably has too many toys right now. As you know, a mess can affect people with ADHD by making it even harder to focus because they are surrounded by "noise." One thing I'll add is that if your son has toys that you will hate parting with (expensive, unique, gift from Grandma, etc.), tuck those away before you start the "if it's out, it's gone" process.

Someone else (somebodynew?) has a technique where if she has to pick up the toys, they go in the "Saturday box." Kiddos don't get the box back until Saturday. That's an alternative once you go through a round or two of purging.

Good luck!!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,870,993 times
We do the whole organized bin thing, but the one thing that actually makes it all work is what others have mentioned, having a specific time to clean everything up. For us it's right before dinner and once the expectation has been built it goes pretty smoothly. We don't have any ADHD to deal with, but do have a 2 and 3 year old that make a good portion of the mess and mix multiple bins even though that is supposedly "verboten". To get through that, it does take some direction from us. I will hold one bin at a time and say, "OK, I need all the blocks" and they race to see who can pick up the most blocks. Then onto the next bin, etc. until it's all done.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,262,522 times
Don't make exceptions for expensive toys. The money is already gone. The child doesn't understand or care about cost. It's left out......it's gone. Forever. It's hard for you to do, but it's a sure fire way to get the message across.

This might be a good time to tell grandmother or auntie that there are tooooo many toys and please don't give any more.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,868,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Don't make exceptions for expensive toys. The money is already gone. The child doesn't understand or care about cost. It's left out......it's gone. Forever. It's hard for you to do, but it's a sure fire way to get the message across.

This might be a good time to tell grandmother or auntie that there are tooooo many toys and please don't give any more.
That's why I put the "if" in there. I can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting