Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:10 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,100,118 times

Advertisements

We went to Disney a lot with the kids. None of my boys were known for sleeping in the stroller either, but Disney is exhausting, and somehow, they all crashed anyway. I think between the heat and the excitement, yours will too.

We stayed off site when they were very young, and the Embassy Suite type hotels were no more expensive than a single room on the property. Free breakfast was a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,494,190 times
We always took a simple 1 room with 2 beds with 2 kids (the thought of a suite never entered my mind ). But the kids ages (18 months and 3 yo the earliest) truly prevented us from seeing what we wanted. We had to have abbreviated versions of normal fun up until the youngest became 5 yo. Mostly they spent time in hotel swimming pools (and maybe why became good swimmers )

The naps just don't work, suite or 1 room: the kid is too wound up and/or scared of an unknown room. Sometimes, one adult does go out to ski or whatever, while the other watches both kids.

Check if the place has nursery. It also didn't enter my mind but it should have. Especially kid-oriented places like Disney must have daycare.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,592,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you "power through" Disney your kid will be too tired to bounce off the walls.

It can DEFINITELY be done without a suite. Millions of families have done Disney without a suite. Millions.

If you don't power through, it's Disney in the morning, pool/nap in the afternoon, back for more Disney and fireworks at night.

Disneyland or Disney World? Is it one of the Disney hotels? (Weren't you asking for recs on Anaheim restaurants a few months back?)
This.
I grew up in a family of 2 kids and then had 2 of my own. We never ever had a suite. We managed.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,443,596 times
Hell, I can't even afford Disney and my husband and I make a decent amount of money together. I definitely wouldnt spring for the additional room. Your little ones will be so exhausted and you will be surprised how well they will sleep Enjoy your family vacation

Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 PM

705 posts, read 1,765,764 times
If you want an enjoyable trip, do NOT power through! Get up early, get to the parks before they open, go till kids nap time, go back to hotel and nap/swim/relax. Then go back to park for dinner and more touring. If you haven't, go get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW. Use their park plans to avoid crowds.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,356,409 times
Didn't somebody say txt queen was a nanny at one point?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,210,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
If you want an enjoyable trip, do NOT power through! Get up early, get to the parks before they open, go till kids nap time, go back to hotel and nap/swim/relax. Then go back to park for dinner and more touring. If you haven't, go get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW. Use their park plans to avoid crowds.
This is what we did and it worked out great. The parks were not crowded in the morning and the adults had enough energy to last the fireworks. I agree that they are totally worth the wait.

My daughter jumped out of my arms right before the fireworks started, climbed on her stroller and fell asleep, even with the nap.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,399,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
I agree!!

Do not try to power through with a 2-year-old. Your afternoon and evening will be miserable. Disney really is the happiest place on earth, but it is like a full-time job while you are there. Parents are CONSTANTLY on watch, which wears you out faster than you realize. Lines can get really long, ans you will have less-than-fond memories of trying to placate an inconsolable toddler in the Peter Pan line.

Everything is different than normal: the food, drinks, the sleeping schedule, the level of activity, the adrenaline. That affects little kids faster also. The earliest we ever traveled to Disney with our kids was age 5, and we always had one kid barf from eating too much of the fried food on kid's menus or drinking too much lemonade or ice cream (even one lemonade was "too much" for mine.)

I would suggest getting adjoining rooms at All Star Resorts. it's the cheapest option on Disney property, and you have separate beds and separate bathrooms.

Bring the youngest back at naptime, while the other parent takes the older to the pool or just walking around the grounds until baby falls asleep.

The nap will be the saving grace for your trip.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,892,170 times
Really good advice from everybody above! Plan for nap time.

The only thing I can think to add is that a lot of hotels have little lounges. I like Courtyard Marriott because you can go sit somewhere away from the room without really leaving. One parent can read while the little one sleeps, and the other parent can take the older child downstairs. If the kid is really squirrelly, maybe not, but you can read together or color or play a board game. It might feel nice just to sit if everybody is tired and the baby needs a nap, and you don't want to all be cooped up.

Also, if I may say, I LOVE naps. Don't forego the opportunity to take your own little snooze. Set the alarm for 30 minutes.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,333,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Really good advice from everybody above! Plan for nap time.

The only thing I can think to add is that a lot of hotels have little lounges. I like Courtyard Marriott because you can go sit somewhere away from the room without really leaving. One parent can read while the little one sleeps, and the other parent can take the older child downstairs. If the kid is really squirrelly, maybe not, but you can read together or color or play a board game. It might feel nice just to sit if everybody is tired and the baby needs a nap, and you don't want to all be cooped up.

Also, if I may say, I LOVE naps. Don't forego the opportunity to take your own little snooze. Set the alarm for 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting