Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 06:18 AM

8,126 posts, read 10,748,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I have a few candids of the kids when they were small on surfaces in stand-up frames. I think putting them on the wall is... I don't know if tacky is the right word for it. But it's not something that I particularly enjoy, so I don't do it.
I know what you mean exactly. I took the best wedding photo from each of my kid's wedding day and framed them and they are in the hallway. Other than that, no family photos on display, just in photo albums, photo boxes, or stored digitally to take out and share, when desired.

I really don't mind family photos on display, as long as they are fairly CURRENT. I find walls of displayed family photos from decades gone by kind of depressing. It's fun to get out the photo album and see that old family photo of us when we were kids in the 1970's in Farrah feathered hair and plaid bell bottoms, but definitely not something I want to look at everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,262,267 times
We have this great, very ornate, very old photo of some relatives taken in 1906. That is the only family picture we have, but the frame is what I look at. Plus we have one nice picture that our daughter drew when she was 13.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:45 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,083,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I find walls of displayed family photos from decades gone by kind of depressing.
I think it depends on who the photos are of and what (if any) relationship one had with them. My parents both died in the early 1990s, while still in their 70s, and I like being able to look at their wedding photo when they were both so happy and just starting out in their life together.

As for my paternal grandfather and great-grandfather, I was never told anything about them (because there were scandals the family kept secret from me) while any of my relatives were alive; I found out about them during the early 2000s after several years of doing genealogical research. Based on what I have learned, I feel a strong personality-based connection to them both and in times of indecision or stress I often find myself contemplating their photographs and thinking "What would Grandpa or Great-Grandpa have done in this situation?"

That said, I would never want walls of, or tabletops covered with, framed photos... regardless of who the subjects are. Especially tabletop, lol, because I really do hate to have to move things in order to dust, LOL. A swipe across an empty or almost-empty surface is more my speed. A great advantage to wall mounted photos is that they can go FAR longer without having to be dusted.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:25 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,665,453 times
I don't have any family photos displayed at home. I'm too lazy to print them out and put them in a frame. I suppose it would be nice to look at past family trips and be reminded of when and where we were at that point in time, but for some reason, I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting