Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,422,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
So I googled Miss Manners on this and she says that you don't/shouldn't display snapshots in your home where you entertain making exceptions for painted portraits.
Poor Miss Manners.

She walks into our house she's gonna drop dead when she sees how uncouth we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,634,317 times
Why do people care so much about what "the rules" are, or how previous generations decorated?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,681,828 times
I have blown up vacation family favorites over the years in black and white. Sort of like Pottery Barn style but very modern, I have them all over. Since our home is super modern I feel it helps warm it up a bit. I also have a bunch of photo albums in a cubby under the coffee table.
I think it's my personality to do this, I also have a surfer suburban with tons of vacation spot bumper stickers. (talk about lack of dignity) As this is the ride we take on our adventures together.
I know, I know, I am very tacky. I sort of like it.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,681,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Why do people care so much about what "the rules" are, or how previous generations decorated?
I know right? I'm not sure either, I probably should care more but I'm not sure why. lol

Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,230,885 times
I love photography and its a hobby of mine. We have photos of family. I mix photos with art so my walls don't look like yearbooks. I don't have any professional photographs. I find them to be a bore; I like candid shots in black and white. My mother was never much of a picture taker. We didn't have photographs out and she has just a handful of pictures from when we were kids. As much as I like photography I was a bit amused when we looked at the house we bought. It was a young couple and even before our bidding war they seemed a bit...umm..pretentious. They had a lot of photographs of themselves. They were professionally done and from the looks, probably engagement and wedding photos. The one that really caught my eye was a 11 x 14 of just the wife. lol. I can't imagine having a photo that large of myself hanging on the wall.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 PM

7,978 posts, read 7,403,742 times
All of our photos and family portraits through the years are on the walls of the upstairs hall. I have two very old oval portraits of my grandmother and great-grandmother as the centerpiece. When we were cleaning out my grandfather's house many years ago, I retrieved boxes of old family photos, and display some of those in my room, in antique style frames. Luckily, I got my dad to identify the people in them before he passed away.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,381,561 times
Yes! The hallway wall is where most of the hanged photos are. The livingroom has only one, while the rest of the hangings is artwork.

My daughter's room has photos of her while our bedroom has only one, and that's an old photo of my parents.

My "thing" is photo albums. I am about to run out of shelving space for them.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,372,622 times
yes, i display some family pictures but in a private room. if anyone has need to go in there, I am glad to display my wares. But most pictures are in picture books.

think antique or historical pictures of any sort are a different story, but I don't have any. my cousins got them.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,347,621 times
Quote:
So I googled Miss Manners on this and she says that you don't/shouldn't display snapshots in your home where you entertain making exceptions for painted portraits.

Maybe it is something of a genrational thing too though...my mom's generation would never have dreamed of tweeting every little thing they did, or posting blogs either.

My mom didn't start having framed photo around until us girls got married and started having granchildren...
I've heard this, no photos in the formal living room, basically. What is interesting, is that every time I am at someone's home, we are "entertained" in the family room, or even in the kitchen, not in the formal living room.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,401,643 times
Quote:

Maybe it is something of a genrational thing too though...my mom's generation would never have dreamed of tweeting every little thing they did, or posting blogs either.

My mom didn't start having framed photo around until us girls got married and started having granchildren...
Well, there you go! I'm going to arrange for my "sitting" ASAP!

I guess we don't have pictures of family in the living room, but as Kibbecat says, we are usually "entertained" and entertain, in the family room, unless it's a large party, eg a graduation party. Our open floor plan has the LR flowing into the dining room, where we do have some photographs (gasp, not paintings) of us and the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting