Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,060,502 times

Advertisements

Wow, I never knew schools could do this kind of thing.

I try to eat healthy now as an adult, but I must admit I remember when I was a kid there have been a few times when I didn't have such a healthy outlook (I remember this one time, I filled a lunch box with Fruity Pebbles cereal and took it to school for lunch ). Also a friend of mine tells me that in elementary school there have been so many times when all he had taken for lunch was a really large chocolate bar.

We'd have our lunches confiscated for sure too many times, if those rules had held in our schools back then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,388,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Because the government advice about what is healthy is basically wrong. The advice has way too many carbs, especially for diabetics.
I have to wonder about the kids with allergies or dietary restrictions.

When one of mine was in preschool a reminder was given to all parents that several snacks don't equal a lunch. This irked me because it depends on the snacks; and because the kids are only there for 3 hours. So I don't send fruit to school every day. Maybe he had fruit for snack right before school and will have it again when we get home, 30 minutes after they eat at school.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM

18,134 posts, read 17,140,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Hypothetically, say a teacher sees a kid open their lunch box and all that's in it is candy. What, if anything, do you think should be said/done?
Honestly, I don't know. Did the child forget his/her lunch? Is the child too full from breakfast to eat his/her lunch? Will there be a classroom snack later on? Is the "candy" really a breakfast bar? Is this a one time thing or does this happen every day?

Most likely, I would treat it as a "forgotten lunch" and send a note home to the parents to let them know what had happened and try to figure out was going on. It's possible that the child packed his/her own lunch and the parent isn't aware of what was packed.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-16-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

18,134 posts, read 17,140,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post

I try to eat healthy now as an adult, but I must admit I remember when I was a kid there have been a few times when I didn't have such a healthy outlook (I remember this one time, I filled a lunch box with Fruity Pebbles cereal and took it to school for lunch ). Also a friend of mine tells me that in elementary school there have been so many times when all he had taken for lunch was a really large chocolate bar.

We'd have our lunches confiscated for sure too many times, if those rules had held in our schools back then!
Lol - I remember those days well. Wow - some of the crap we used to eat .

There was no childhood obesity epidemic back then, either. Hmmmm.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,280,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Hypothetically, say a teacher sees a kid open their lunch box and all that's in it is candy. What, if anything, do you think should be said/done?
I would think that the teacher should discuss it with the parent.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,046,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would think that the teacher should discuss it with the parent.
I agree. If a teacher sees something that does not seem right it is not the teacher's job to make a decision about what is right. However, it is appropriate to communicate your observations with the parent so that the parent can make any decisions.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,437,505 times
Okay, so the teacher should give the child something more healthy (rather than take anything away) and talk to the parent first. I agree. But what if nothing changes?

Personally, I think there is and should be a limit. I think there should be some point where teachers (and/or the state) can get involved. But of course, I think there should be some guidelines requiring it to be just about this dramatic before they're given any authority. Case by case basis, as I'm sure it's been in most schools for a while now. I'm just an anchor; I wanted to respond to the idea that parents should always be given full authority, no matter what.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,129,721 times
There is nothing in the law that allows for packed lunches to be taken away and the law has provisions for children with eating problems. I went and looked. This was ridiculous and may have been made up entirely by the website folks. Otherwise it was a single incident where someone misinterpreted the law.

Here is the actual law.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...l4-part210.pdf

Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,129,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post

Actually, they can't. If a child doesn't have a lunch, the schools can provide one. There is no provision for inspecting a child's lunch from home at all in the law.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM

869 posts, read 1,503,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There is nothing in the law that allows for packed lunches to be taken away and the law has provisions for children with eating problems. I went and looked. This was ridiculous and may have been made up entirely by the website folks. Otherwise it was a single incident where someone misinterpreted the law.

Here is the actual law.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...l4-part210.pdf
What do you mean made up entirely by the website? you mean the blogger who wrote about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting