Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
At this point if he stops in the middle of the semester he would have to pay back the grants he took out. Which would really put us in a financial hardship.

It is an option though.

Another option I was thinking is there is another daycare I was looking at and they close at 8p so dad doesnt go to work until 10 and my mom could handle her for an hour and a half until I get off at 11.

And thats even if I get that schedule I could get a really good one and be off by 5.
Ohio, that second option sounds like it could work for you, at least in the short-term until you guys can figure out a permanent solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
This new daycare sounds like a horrible situation and the owner (?) has lied to you already about several things. You have good reason to suspect that your daughter is being left in her coat all day (so I'd wonder if she's being fed or changed as well.

And she's driving around with you baby and didn't tell you? So that means you haven't checked out the car seat she's using, is it installed correctly? What's this ladies driving record look like?

Plus it sounds like she's passing some work off to others, are these "employees"?

I'd go back to the old daycare and put her back in... you won't have to start working the new schedule until April 1st, right? I know it's easy for me to say (I'm able to stay home with my daughter) but there is no way, under any circumstance that I would drop my daughter off at that place again....

THATS WHAT I SAID TOO! Im like I dont even know if you have a liscense! But she says shes liscensed by the state to transport.

I drop her off with her carseat so thats not the problem but she doesnt have a base. When I said that she said that strapping them in witht he seat belt works the same. I didnt know that. I use the base and seat belt.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
THATS WHAT I SAID TOO! Im like I dont even know if you have a liscense! But she says shes liscensed by the state to transport.

I drop her off with her carseat so thats not the problem but she doesnt have a base. When I said that she said that strapping them in witht he seat belt works the same. I didnt know that. I use the base and seat belt.
I have heard that as well, that the infant carrier can be used with out the base for taxis and such (when we were foster parents, it seemed some of the social workers did that as well)... we never did it that way, I ordered an extra base for when we travel and for my parents. (My daughter is tall so she was in a Britax Marathon pretty early)

But honestly, I think if she has a license to transport or where the cribs are coming from etc... are moot points, I still would look into some of the other options and put her back in the original place until you get your new schedule.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM

466 posts, read 815,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think that's probably the best thing to do then. Because at any rate this lady does not seem professional enough to be leaving your child with.
This. Is she even licensed?

Yes, you can use an infant seat without a base. If she knows how to buckle it in, that really isn't an issue. The bigger issue is that she is taking your kid out without letting you know! I would be very, very uncomfortable with this situation and would move my child back stat. Also, you said there are some centers around that are open late, they just fill up. Get yourself on a waiting list NOW! In two months, it's possible they will have something open up.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I used and still am using a babysitter. I was lucky finding a babysitter that was a friend of a co worker. She just watch my son and she has 4 kids on her own. But she is reliable and ALWAYS available. Try to ask around. You never know. I would love to assist in helping people with child care needs but I don't want to get a license. So how do I go about that? Can I just advertise on Craigs list?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:

It can work with the seat belt, but it is quite a bit harder to do well.

This woman is stringing you along and is completely full of bs. You don't just wait until a parent shows up to tell them that the center is not ready. (There never was a center, I would bet a dollar. There never will be.) She is unprofessional and not providing safe care for your child. She needs to go. I can't think of any stop gap ideas for you. I wish I could.

There is a lesson in there for you. When you are looking for a provider, they had BETTER have a well thought out policy manual. That policy manual should expressly state driving policy. If they don't, ask them to update the policy manual. (I personally would not be comfy with a provider tooting my child around from drop offs and pick ups. I am not paying them to cart my kid around in a car.)

Every question you can think of, and you can google for ideas, should be discussed up front. Both the what and the how of the answers are going to give you a feel for the provider.

I am sorry you find your self in this predicament. I had a crap provider once too. But I was already in the process of opening a home daycare. I just stepped up the speed. Good luck,=.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,020 times
I would say do not use that daycare again! Even if they move to an actual "daycare" place with cribs, etc these people don't see to know what they are doing. See if between you and your husband can work out picking her up by 6pm in any other daycare. Otherwise try to see if you can arrange for a sitter to do this for you. Care.com or Sittercity.com are websites you can find people. Nanny agencies too. If not, see if in your neighborhood are teenagers who drive and are responsible who could care for your baby while you work.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It can work with the seat belt, but it is quite a bit harder to do well.

This woman is stringing you along and is completely full of bs. You don't just wait until a parent shows up to tell them that the center is not ready. (There never was a center, I would bet a dollar. There never will be.) She is unprofessional and not providing safe care for your child. She needs to go. I can't think of any stop gap ideas for you. I wish I could.

There is a lesson in there for you. When you are looking for a provider, they had BETTER have a well thought out policy manual. That policy manual should expressly state driving policy. If they don't, ask them to update the policy manual. (I personally would not be comfy with a provider tooting my child around from drop offs and pick ups. I am not paying them to cart my kid around in a car.)

Every question you can think of, and you can google for ideas, should be discussed up front. Both the what and the how of the answers are going to give you a feel for the provider.

I am sorry you find your self in this predicament. I had a crap provider once too. But I was already in the process of opening a home daycare. I just stepped up the speed. Good luck,=.
I agree with you there.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ohio, I appreciate that you are in a tough situation. If it was my child, there is no way she would go back to that daycare.

Is there any way you, your BF and other support system could rotate taking care of DD for a little while (so no one misses too many obligations) and try to find a nanny or a 1-on-1 sitter (sounds like you've looked into the other daycare options in your area already??)? Any chance that your supervisor at work would be sympathetic and help shift your hours?
This

Quote:
At this point if he stops in the middle of the semester he would have to pay back the grants he took out. Which would really put us in a financial hardship.

It is an option though.

Another option I was thinking is there is another daycare I was looking at and they close at 8p so dad doesnt go to work until 10 and my mom could handle her for an hour and a half until I get off at 11.

And thats even if I get that schedule I could get a really good one and be off by 5.
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If your new hours won't start until April, why don't you place her back in the day care center you were using prior to this woman? That gives you a couple of months to find a more ideal situation, or to let this woman get her act together. The new hours may not require evening care after all, correct?
and this. It is totally sketchy that this person opened her day care before she had the place and the equipment available, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for you to have switched over this soon.

In the long run going to school is important, but in the short run, it sounds like dad needs to step up. Most college schedules don't require being on campus all day every day. Maybe you should find a sitter who can watch her when dad is at school and you are at work.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
Follow your gut. A mom's instinct is often right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting