Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I'm flipping through the channels and this show called "Toddlers & Tiaras" comes on TLC. It's about these little girls, like 6 and under that are in beauty pagents. Me personally I think that's too young, but they're not my kids. So this one couple is trying to get their little girl to practice her pagent routine and she is not only refusing to do it, but being a brat in the process. This little girl, who's like 3 or 4, keeps telling her parents "no," and to "get away." Everytime this little brat wouldn't cooperate the mom or dad would be like; "do you wanna go to the movies," or "if you practice we'll go to Build A Bear." The parents are just oblivious to the fact they're only creating a monster. Then the kicker, the dad is on camera and talks about how when they can't get, (I'll call her Brat because I honestly don't remember her name), to cooperate they "negociate" with her. Negociate. Really?! When I was growing up there was no negociating, I did what I was told and that was it. If I got an attitude then I got my as$ spanked with a wooden spoon til it felt like a five alarm blaze.
Then MTV had "My Super Sweet Sixteen"on. This couple spent $250,000 on their daughter's dress and party. Now if someone makes enough money that he or she can afford to spend that, it's your money and your entitled to spend it how you want, but does it really need to be put in all these young, and for the most part, easily influenced kids faces'?
To top it off my girlfriend came home last night saying how one of her friend's kids are so bad that her boyfriend broke up with her because of it. I asked if she beats their as$es? My girlfriend said that her friend is working on correcting her kids. I said she's not working hard enough and I side with the boyfriend.
What is it with this psuedo-intellectual marshmellow cultural we're becoming? Political correctness, and worrying about "feelings." Give me a break. Kids are spoiled because from a young age, like the girl in "Toddlers and Tiaras," parents instill this sense of bloated self-entitlement so that by the time that child becomes a teenager she's a spoiled be-otch. I got spanked numerous times growing up. I survived. Hell my granparents told me stories of how they got spanked with belts back in the day, their generation didn't seem to have this sense of entitlement that is so popular today. Every kids deserves a good as$ beating when they get out of line. By and large I'm all for evolving, but this something where we need to go back to the old school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
I don't think parents with the income to blow thousands on frivolities like that represent the majority of American families.

I think most parents resort to bribery from time to time. I remember my sisters and I were promised a troll doll whenever we had to get a shot at the doctor's. As long as that's not standard operating procedure, it's not hurting anyone.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't think parents with the income to blow thousands on frivolities like that represent the majority of American families.
I would say it's a VERY small minority
I think most parents resort to bribery from time to time. I remember my sisters and I were promised a troll doll whenever we had to get a shot at the doctor's. As long as that's not standard operating procedure, it's not hurting anyone.
That's the key, as long as it's not standard procedure

Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Well, first, I don't agree with spanking as a form of discipline/punishment, and I also think children's feelings should be considered. I tend to emphasize the importance of prevention over punishment. I think parents increase how often they have to punish their kids by not paying more attention to details THEY could tweak and prevent a bad situation altogether. Little kids who don't get enough to eat at lunchtime or enough sleep at naptime are more likely to be difficult in the following hours, as an example.

Anyway, no child should be allowed to mouth off without SOME form of punishment, and bribing should be out the window when they're doing this. I do agree that this specific mistake is what turns children into brats.

I say, know your child. Know what would bother them most, with exception to getting physical, and do it occasionally (not too often) whenever they give you a good reason to.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I give Toddlers & Tiaras as much credence as Cops. Not where I go for a dose of reality.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Those shows are hardly representative of all "kids these days."

There's a reason they are on TV. They are freak shows, unusual cases. Did you notice that the pageant audience on Toddlers & Tiaras is only the parents, grandparents and unlucky siblings of the pageant "contestants"?

Lack of discipline and self-discipline is a huge problem across the board, though, for people of all ages.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
So yesterday I'm flipping through the channels and this show called "Toddlers & Tiaras" comes on TLC. It's about these little girls, like 6 and under that are in beauty pagents. Me personally I think that's too young, but they're not my kids. So this one couple is trying to get their little girl to practice her pagent routine and she is not only refusing to do it, but being a brat in the process. This little girl, who's like 3 or 4, keeps telling her parents "no," and to "get away." Everytime this little brat wouldn't cooperate the mom or dad would be like; "do you wanna go to the movies," or "if you practice we'll go to Build A Bear." The parents are just oblivious to the fact they're only creating a monster. Then the kicker, the dad is on camera and talks about how when they can't get, (I'll call her Brat because I honestly don't remember her name), to cooperate they "negociate" with her. Negociate. Really?! When I was growing up there was no negociating, I did what I was told and that was it. If I got an attitude then I got my as$ spanked with a wooden spoon til it felt like a five alarm blaze.
Then MTV had "My Super Sweet Sixteen"on. This couple spent $250,000 on their daughter's dress and party. Now if someone makes enough money that he or she can afford to spend that, it's your money and your entitled to spend it how you want, but does it really need to be put in all these young, and for the most part, easily influenced kids faces'?
To top it off my girlfriend came home last night saying how one of her friend's kids are so bad that her boyfriend broke up with her because of it. I asked if she beats their as$es? My girlfriend said that her friend is working on correcting her kids. I said she's not working hard enough and I side with the boyfriend.
What is it with this psuedo-intellectual marshmellow cultural we're becoming? Political correctness, and worrying about "feelings." Give me a break. Kids are spoiled because from a young age, like the girl in "Toddlers and Tiaras," parents instill this sense of bloated self-entitlement so that by the time that child becomes a teenager she's a spoiled be-otch. I got spanked numerous times growing up. I survived. Hell my granparents told me stories of how they got spanked with belts back in the day, their generation didn't seem to have this sense of entitlement that is so popular today. Every kids deserves a good as$ beating when they get out of line. By and large I'm all for evolving, but this something where we need to go back to the old school
Toddlers and Tiaras and My Super Sweet Sixteen are hardly the models most parents follow.

Surely we can do better.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

When parents do have money, it can be quite a motivator. I went to college with a girl whose dad jetted her and her sisters around the world just to go shopping for wedding favors. He told his daughters if they were even caught holding hands with a boy before they graduated from college, they were cut off and he meant it. Those young ladies towed the line because daddy held the purse strings. Of course you have to be worth millions to pull this one off. I don't think withholding my dd's $25 allowance or the keys to the Windstar will have the same impact...

Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Those shows are hardly representative of all "kids these days."

There's a reason they are on TV. They are freak shows, unusual cases. Did you notice that the pageant audience on Toddlers & Tiaras is only the parents, grandparents and unlucky siblings of the pageant "contestants"?

Lack of discipline and self-discipline is a huge problem across the board, though, for people of all ages.
That's because they're the only ones allowed in. Child pageants are closed to the public, probably a wise decision made to keep out predators.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Since you do not live with them, how do you even know what she is doing or how hard she might be trying. Contrary to your views on things, A$$ beatings are not a universal cure all for things :roll eyes:. Nice to know you side with the bf when for all you know he is an intolerant toad who has no patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting