Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 09:00 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,559 times

Advertisements

I am interested in enrolling my 3 yr old into some sort of Martial art class. Is this the right age for him to start ? He is 3 yrs, 4months old. Someone suggested that I wait for another year or two so that he is strong enough to handle all the physical pressure on his bones..
Which of the two is better, Karate or Tae Kwon do ? Is there any difference between the two ? Also, anything special I need to look for in an instructor? Does anyone here have kids going to Karate ? I would love to hear your experiences. What are the fees I can expect to pay , and is there any way I can look for a good martial art class in my area?
Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
My experience is that the Tae Kwon Do studio my son attended would not take anyone under school age. My son enjoyed it for a few years, and it's a good physical workout which also requires disipline.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
I too would wait for school age. Many Tae Kwan Do centers are very very used to having children and shouldn't push your son beyond his age-related limitations. I think the absolutely best thing to do would be to find a class based on a referral. Once your son gets to school, ask other parents if they take their sons or daughters to classes and what they think of a given class. I think it sounds like great discipline, great for self-esteem and very good exercise!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:50 AM

657 posts, read 1,787,966 times
my daugter is in karate, shes 5. she loves it and is defenately learning alot from it. i feel this is better for her than dance at this time. her teacher is so great with the kids. he has a silly side as well as a serious side. it does cost more than i expected. started at 99$ a month and thats 1/2 hr twice a week, but they want me to join more advanced training to help her earn her black belt. they want $2700! to me thats just crazy, especially for a 5 yr old that may loose interest in a couple years. for now shes learning excersise, coordination, discipline, respect, and control of her actions. its working great for us. it also gets out alot of aggression and energy. they really learn control, they will be bouncing off the walls in a silly excersise and in the instant they hear "attention" they all gather in silence. very cool, wish it worked like that at home. most of all, she s having fun.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
My husband and I used to take Tae Kwon Do, and the youngest kids were 4 years old. The classes were 45 minutes long, and sometimes they just didn't have the attention span for it. Some of the 7 year olds didn't either though. I would say judge based on your own child's personality whether they will be able to deal with a 30-45 minute class or not.

Our classes were about $100 per month and it was kinda like a gym membership in that we were members and could go to any classes at our belt level that we wanted. They suggest at least 2 per week, but up to 6 were available at different days/times. I would recommend a place like this that considers itself a school that you join rather than a place where you pay by the class.

We will probably send our daughter when she is about 4 or 5, based on her personality. I am hoping to find a school with a family program and we will all go together as a family activity. There were several families at our old school where the parents and kids all came together.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:41 AM

43 posts, read 181,866 times
We are starting at age 3 but it's a short class and it's part gym. My friend is the instructor and she is holding a toddler/preschool class in addition to her regular 5 year old class. They only do about 20 minutes of actual karate but it's a good introduction for them. I started karate at age 3 and I loved it! Our department of recreation also offers the Little Dragons program for age 3+, again it's a really short class, ideal for the younger set. Good luck! it's a great things for kids to get involved in.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 PM

113 posts, read 770,511 times
I enrolled my son in tae kwon do around the age of 7. At the time, the tae kwon do and karate centers were offering free lessons, so we could "try before we buy". My son chose tae kwon do and it cost me about $600 for the year, for 1 class per week. It got too costly after a while because each belt color cost like $20, then the competition fees, etc. But... it was all worth it. My son built up confidence he never had before, which was reinforced in competition where he won a couple of trophies. He went for only a year, but the lessons learned stayed with him for a long time.

If there are any places that offer trials in your area, you can look into those and see which one suits your child best. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,559 times
lucky, 600 a yr sounds good to start with Going by everyones post , looks like they raise their charges as the level goes up. hdzup3, 2700$ ????
I will try looking for something like ADVentive mentioned, a membership rather than classes.
I also like the idea of the toddler / preschooler class for younger kids which cocoaday mentioned.
I am also wondering about The little gym. Anyone has had any experiences with it ?
Thanks a lot .

Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
My son is in TaeKwondo - and it's the Tiny Tigers version - which is meant for ages 3 - 6, there is a 3 year old there but I think he's about to turn 4

We like it - just wish he was better at it :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting