Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't care too much about the "girl" Legos. It's a marketing technique. I LOVED Legos as a kid and I wasn't turned off or otherwise negatively disposed towards the "boy" Legos of the 80s.
I loved them too. I didn't have many of my own, but a neighbor boy did and we played with them a lot. But they didn't have girly Legos back then, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I was fortunate that my mom kept ALL of my old Lego sets including a lot of the original space and castle sets that were my older brothers. My kids have a giant 50 gallon tub full of Lego's to imagine away with as well as a bunch of the original pirate sets that are still complete. My son and my daughter love the Lego's and my son isn't too thrilled with the boxed sets that make one thing, he tends to prefer making his own stuff.

One thing I have noticed though is that there is a lot of toys and things out now with cross gender appeal that seems to be drawing in both boys and girls. From my own kids to cousins to other kids at school the line of "this is boy stuff", "this is girl stuff" seems to be really blurring. Harry Potter appeals and the associated merchandise appeals to both, the newer Star Wars does as well with a lot of strong female characters, even the current Power Rangers series seems to be a hit with boys and girls.

I guess what I am getting at is that while having things specifically marketed to girls is fine, I think a lot of girls these days tend to be interested in the same things the boys are to an extent. I for one always get a chuckle when DD1 is wearing a frilly pink princess dress and plastic Disney dress up heels while she has a lightsaber duel with her brother, or they team up to fight evil as Power Rangers, or the latest pretending they are the people from Pirates of the Carribbean.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't like the Lego packages that come with the directions and are only meant to make one thing. The boys each have a set of regular old Legos and they come up with some nifty things!

I don't care too much about the "girl" Legos. It's a marketing technique. I LOVED Legos as a kid and I wasn't turned off or otherwise negatively disposed towards the "boy" Legos of the 80s.
The science centre or museum or such here a couple of years ago had an exhibit with literally thousands of white lego bricks and you would come and build whatever you liked. It was great. So creative. Bricks only. No fancy bits.

Can you buy cheap no name brand lego?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I want the old time legos without kits. You can get them, btw

LEGO® Building Fun* | LEGO Shop

LEGO® Basic Bricks Deluxe* | LEGO Shop
These are fun and the kids, girls and boys that are at my school love to play with them. They are constantly showing me their creation.

Plus my son who is 9 loves the star-wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mario and Luigi, for Christmas he is getting the new Transformers.

And yes if I had a girl I'd let her play with legos.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
We have a couple pink tubs for my son. He loves having the pink, purple/magenta and orange color pieces that he can't find in all of his blue totes. It is stupid that there are separate cases for the colors anyway when you are buying case sets of pieces anyway

As far as the sets, which are absurdly expensive for small plastic pieces, my son will have us make them once, and then they are never seen again. So disappointing to spend all that time making the police station, City houses and shops, ect just to have them destroyed within a few minutes, but all the stuff he makes with the pieces instead are a window into his imagination that I love that he shares with us. He makes some fun stuff combing set pieces and individual pieces that are far better than the structure sets that Lego sells because they are his creations

Old 12-08-2011, 11:51 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
These have been around for a while, this is a lego type dollhouse from the early 90's my DD used to have Huge 3-Story Mega Blocks-Lego Dollhouse Mansion (http://www.flickr.com/photos/abrown720/3700413985/in/photostream/ - broken link)
I think my son probably got as much use out of the set as my daughter did. He really didn't care about the color, just that it was cool to have a lego baby grand, a lego computer and tv, and a lego bathtub and toilet, lol.
It was also not uncommon to find the dollhouse pieces used in houses built with building blocks and occupied with plastic dinosaurs families and FP little people. Cars built from erector sets or K'nex shared the same plastic roads with the Hot Wheels. Pretty much anything that could be used to create was thrown together to build some very imaginative scenarios. I thought it was interesting that the kids didn't seem to feel restricted to using just one type of thing at a time. It's kind of sad to watch that disappear as they get older and become more conventional.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Lego probably did some market research and discovered that primarily mothers of boys bought their products. In an attempt to appeal to a larger audience and make more money they came with pink.

I personally loved legos as a child. I also had K'nex, which my dad took over shortly after purchase.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I was fortunate that my mom kept ALL of my old Lego sets including a lot of the original space and castle sets that were my older brothers. My kids have a giant 50 gallon tub full of Lego's to imagine away with as well as a bunch of the original pirate sets that are still complete. My son and my daughter love the Lego's and my son isn't too thrilled with the boxed sets that make one thing, he tends to prefer making his own
That's awesome! I'm probably dating myself here, but my parents saved my old Capsela sets. They made the round of the siblings and were then gifted to DH a few years ago by my brother. I can't wait until the kids are old enough for it!

I agree about the benefit of creating one's own over boxed sets.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
There are some great Lego robotic classes.

My granddaughter and her best friend went to one last year that was near us.

Robotics Learning Kids Workshops

Old 12-10-2011, 05:33 PM

500 posts, read 748,403 times
My daughter loves Legos and has chosen both the pink and non-pink sets, including the houses and garden, and Lego City. She also loves the Spongebob sets and has quite a few. This year, we are doing the Lego City Advent calendar which is really cool. Not all kids follow gender lines when it comes to toys, esp. Legos, so I say, buy what stimulates their imaginations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting