Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times

Advertisements

If a child says, "I need to ask my mom first," the child has said, "No." And until Mom has been asked, the answer is "No."

Maybe the child wanted it done; maybe she didn't. If she didn't, it's unlikely she would have known how to get out of it when pressured by an adult. I know they're just eyebrows, but if they were my eyebrows and someone messed with them over my objections, I'd be mad. As a kid, I would have felt violated. (Yes, only eyebrows - but my eyebrows.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
She did not charge me, but to me, that was beside the point.

I'm not going back, mostly because I've made an effort to start patronizing locally-owned businesses, and that one is a national chain. There is a great salon right in my office building that has comparable prices, so we'll go there from now on.
Look at the bright side, at least now you're daughter doesn't have eyebrows trying to overwhelm her face anymore.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yes, but the parent should be asked first. I have always had crazy bad eyebrows. However, I still wouldn't have let a stylist do anything to them without asking my parents first. Plus, not everyone with these issues is made fun of. I wasn't made fun of, in fact, I was very popular when I was younger.
I have a decent uni-brow, and I really could care less. I get them waxed once a year when I go to the PAX con in Boston (and my hair dresser makes fun of me by saying she always know when the con is coming up.) Otherwise- yeah, can't be bothered, and I don't like inflicting pain on myself for fashion's sake. Oddly, I'm still successful in life and don't get mocked on a daily basis - to my face anyway. If anyone is making fun of me behind my back, I still don't care.

Maybe your daughter didn't even feel like she needed anything 'done'. And as the owner of the brows and the face, it should have been her call in the end.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I have a decent uni-brow, and I really could care less. I get them waxed once a year when I go to the PAX con in Boston (and my hair dresser makes fun of me by saying she always know when the con is coming up.) Otherwise- yeah, can't be bothered, and I don't like inflicting pain on myself for fashion's sake. Oddly, I'm still successful in life and don't get mocked on a daily basis - to my face anyway. If anyone is making fun of me behind my back, I still don't care.

Maybe your daughter didn't even feel like she needed anything 'done'. And as the owner of the brows and the face, it should have been her call in the end.

That's hardly pain.
Try brusing your internal organs and then come back to me about pain.
I dont have to pluck all that often its not a hassle.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
That's hardly pain.
Try brusing your internal organs and then come back to me about pain.
I dont have to pluck all that often its not a hassle.
I'm in daily pain due to cervical dislocations and herniated discs. Is that a heck of a lot more pain than plucking/waxing? Sure. I'm still not willing to bear even a smidgen of hurt for fashion. I'm not looking down on those who do, I just don't 'get it'. If a unibrow was good enough for Frida Kahlo, it's good enough for me.

What's wrong with leaving it up to the girl to decide?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
What I think probably irked you more (correct me if i am wrong) is someone took care of a milestone in your daughter's life that you hadn't fully made a decision on. I can totally see the stylist (whom probably doesn't have children) suggested she clean up your DD eyebrows. Your DD said she needed to ask first and the stylist figured it wasn't a big deal to just pluck them since she does more waxing than plucking. In the grand scheme of things its not major, the hair will grow back. I don't thinking leaving for 10 minutes was a huge infraction on your part. The woman could have done it just as easily while you flipped through a magazine in the waiting area. Sometimes parents need a little push on letting their kids grow up a little.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:45 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,940 times
Well, she's been shaving for over a year now. She's started her period. As I said earlier, DH and I don;t necessarily agree on when it's ok for her to do certain things. He didn't think she should be shaving so young -- said it just isn't necessary. I understood more why she would want to. And I really did think the eyebrows needed help -- but bottom line, it was my call to make, not the stylist's.

So, as I said before -- it's not the plucking per se -- it's her taking it upon herself to make that decision even after DD told her she needed to as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting