Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,890,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I know this isn't the worst thing in the world,
It's in the top 69 million worst things though.

Don't worry, this experience will be lost in the noise of what's coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,690,346 times
It would annoy me but I would just nicely let the stylist know that in the future to please not doing anything without running it by me first. That lets her know you are not pleased but still leaves a good relationship open if you like how she styles you and you want to keep going.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,097,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You should have seen my eyebrows at 9.
I looked like my mom had mated with a chia pet.
I am mostly german/irish/scottish but the german shows up a lot, dark hair and lots of it..
Had I not been able to shave as early as I did I would have been made fun of.

Some girls just have to early.
Yes, but the parent should be asked first. I have always had crazy bad eyebrows. However, I still wouldn't have let a stylist do anything to them without asking my parents first. Plus, not everyone with these issues is made fun of. I wasn't made fun of, in fact, I was very popular when I was younger.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,152,710 times
Sadly, I'd be pissed, not because of the plucking, but because of the charge that I didn't initially agree to. Though, honestly, the stylist should have asked you first. I disagree that anyone would have naturally assumed that 11 was appropriate, even if it wouldn't have bothered you. When your 11 year old starts paying for it herself, then she can be INVOLVED in the decision.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd be more upset at the stylist, not your daughter.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM

970 posts, read 2,217,747 times
Did she charge you more for the eyebrows without asking? If it was free of charge then maybe she thought she was being nice by providing an extra service and didn't consider it necessary to ask. In that case I would ask her to run things by you in the future.

If she charged you an additional fee without asking I suggest not returning, because that is not acceptable in any case.

11 is old enough to leave in a salon for 10 minutes.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,225,191 times
Quote:
And as for leaving her alone, yes, that was a judgment call -- like I said we've both been there for months, it's a mall, and DS and went a few stores away for 10 minutes. But many parents would not do that, probably. I do know parents of DD's friends who let the MS kids go off on their own at the mall, while the parent is in the m all, too -- I haven't yet begun to do that.
Granted, she should have listened to your daughter saying to ask you---even if that meant that she went without being plucked. And I really don't think it was a big deal you left her alone in a familiar salon for 10 minutes. But by doing that, it's just sort of mindboggling to expect a stylist to babysit and then expect her to postpone her schedule by waiting to ask you about things when you're not readily available to ask.

Quote:
FTR, her eyebrows really did need something done to them, and like I said, it's not a huge deal -- it's just the principle of the thing I guess. We had talked about plucking or waxing, but her dad and I have different views on when it's appropriate for her to do things. If he had his way, she'd still be wearing stuff from Gymboree, would not watch most tv and would still listen to Hannah Montana.
Then it sounds like the mistakes you and the stylist made ultimately did your daughter a favor.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,680,102 times
But there was no need to postpone her schedule. Dd was there for a wash, cut and style. That takes about an hour. I was gone 10 minutes.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:52 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,071,776 times
Did she charge you for the eyebrows or not? I wouldn't pay for something I didn't agree to.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,742,205 times
I don't think it was a big deal to leave her there for 10 minutes, I do think the stylist could have waited for you to return and get your permission. I would have been annoyed if it were my child and would have nicely told the stylist.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,680,102 times
She did not charge me, but to me, that was beside the point.

I'm not going back, mostly because I've made an effort to start patronizing locally-owned businesses, and that one is a national chain. There is a great salon right in my office building that has comparable prices, so we'll go there from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting