Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,528,142 times

Advertisements

Why in the world would you have a 2 year old in day care for 6 hours a day???? I don't blame him for his "tantrums" when he gets home.

There's a day care near my job --- some parents drop their kids at 7:30am and don't pick them up until close to 6pm. ABSURD --- why even have a kid if you're just going to dump them in some "center" for so many hours per day??? Don't give the bs excuse of "they have to work". There are many jobs where you can switch off hours (work evenings, nights, early AM, or weekends) so one parent can be with the kid while the other is at work OR so you don't have to leave the kid somewhere for so many hours.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,149,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Why in the world would you have a 2 year old in day care for 6 hours a day???? I don't blame him for his "tantrums" when he gets home.

There's a day care near my job --- some parents drop their kids at 7:30am and don't pick them up until close to 6pm. ABSURD --- why even have a kid if you're just going to dump them in some "center" for so many hours per day??? Don't give the bs excuse of "they have to work". There are many jobs where you can switch off hours (work evenings, nights, early AM, or weekends) so one parent can be with the kid while the other is at work OR so you don't have to leave the kid somewhere for so many hours.
How is that any of your business?

Having to work is hardly "bs" in this economy, it's a reality.

Sorry, back to the topic at hand...

Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,865,699 times
Quote:

Please show me ANYWHERE that there are "many jobs". That is not really the topic though. If you would like to discuss that, there are plenty of threads on here about working moms. This is about helping a mom finding a solution to her problem with a toddler.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,642,487 times
I also vote for tired but also he is probably hungry then too. When do they eat at school? My youngest needed something to eat about every 2 hours at that age, not huge meals but would need a snack. Have something for him to snack on in the car on the way home too. That is a LONG day at school for a 2 year old.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,769,450 times
Quote:

This is not a discussion on why he is in preschool nor is it open to debate as to why I put him in preschool.

This is a thread in which I asked for proactive advice on his tantrums after preschool. Please stay on topic.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,769,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I also wonder sometimes if kids get just plain worn out from keeping themselves together the whole day at school -- behaving all of the time is tiring, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
lol. I used to say the same thing. Her teachers all said she was fantastic and was teacher's helper, but she would get home and it was like I had a demon child on my hands. I told DH that she holds it all in all day long and then lets it all out for me. Aren't I lucky?
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I also vote for tired but also he is probably hungry then too. When do they eat at school? My youngest needed something to eat about every 2 hours at that age, not huge meals but would need a snack. Have something for him to snack on in the car on the way home too. That is a LONG day at school for a 2 year old.
Lawmom and Nummy I think you both hit the nail on the head, after a day of trying to be good can be a bit tired and he wants to let out steam. Like I said the days he is off he is good as gold with the occasional bit of boy badness but the days he comes home its like did I pick up the wrong kid?

Golfgal he has his meal at 12.00 pm then afterwards its potty and clean up time and then they go down for a nap around 12.30 pm. Our distance from school to home is very short about a two minute drive by car so I give him his snack or meal at home. I will keep some small snacks with me just in case. I think he might be going through a growth spurt as well because before he wasn't much of an eater but lately he could eat a horse.

Sometimes I have to make a full meal on top of the lunch he had at 12.30 because he is that hungry! I asked the teachers if he has been eating and they say he eats very well. Most of the time leaving nothing except goldfish crackers which he prefers to use for dump trucks.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 AM

677 posts, read 1,547,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I also wonder sometimes if kids get just plain worn out from keeping themselves together the whole day at school -- behaving all of the time is tiring, lol.
+1
Exactly Lawmom!

Picture the springy snakes in a can that spring out when you open it.

OP, you have a lot to be proud of. He's being such a big boy at school by following the rules and minding his manners! This shows how smart he is. He acts out with you because your his 'safe' person to fall apart with. It is very stressful to keep it all together like Lawmom said. This is not uncommon and he will outgrow this.

I think he's napping enough and has too much energy. What if you take a snack and let him play at the playground- weather permitting - or an indoor playground? Climbing, jumping, running are great ways for him to blow off steam. He's been following directions and playing by the rules all day. Self-directed active play will give him a sense of control.

Something that helped with the dish, glass struggle when my children were younger- putting their dishes low enough so they could choose their own. I have a large, deep drawer in my home now, but used a lower cabinet shelf in our last home. A lot of misbehavior is about control.
Allowing them control in reasonable situations does wonders sometimes.
After you wash the dishes- let him put 'his dishes in his cabinet' and praise him for his help.

Hang in there mom!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,528,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
This is not a discussion on why he is in preschool nor is it open to debate as to why I put him in preschool.

This is a thread in which I asked for proactive advice on his tantrums after preschool. Please stay on topic.

Okay.... here's my advice on your topic. Don't drop a 2 year old off at a center for 6 hours a day. It's much too long for him to be apart from you and he's probably overwhelmed, exhausted, and hungry by the time he gets home.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,391,914 times
Quote:
Okay.... here's my advice on your topic. Don't drop a 2 year old off at a center for 6 hours a day. It's much too long for him to be apart from you and he's probably overwhelmed, exhausted, and hungry by the time he gets home.
Honestly, most kids that are in day care are there for about 10 hours/day. this is PRESCHOOL for 6 hours, and they nap there. Not really comparable IMO.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,466,775 times
Quote:
Ignoring the fact that this isn't the topic and the "why" is NONE of our business.....

My kids were NOT in "a center" and they went through this. If a nuclear bomb had gone off in downtown L.A. at 4:00pm I would not have noticed because one child had his melt down at 4pm every single day. You could set your watch by him. Being a toddler is hard work. There's a lot going on and they are exhausted at a certain point. Even with a nap.

There's a rumor in my family that I did the same thing but I don't believe it for a minute.

Put me in the exhausted and tired category. No matter WHERE they spend their days. And yes, feed him a snack. That helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting