Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Time for a light thread....

What silly habits/traditions/whatever you want to call them does your family have? Ours has the back rub monster. He attacks in the morning when it's time to get up. Just a pleasant way to rouse a sleepy head.
Well tell all the relatives to **** off for Thanksgiving and refuse to travel every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Well tell all the relatives to **** off for Thanksgiving and refuse to travel every year.
With that attitude they're probably very happy you don't show up. Congratulations. It's a win-win for everybody.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
We are sometimes "opera family" and have our conversations by singing in an opera-like fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We sing, too. One of us will sing the first line of a recognizable tune (but change the words to fit what's going on), and another person wiil sing the next made-up line in rhyme.

Trying to think of an example ...

To that "Toreador" song (commonly sung as Toreador-ah, don't spit on the floor):

Pour me some milk, please, I need some in my bowl
Get it yourself, don't be such a troll

It's usually modern songs, though.
We don't sing opera, and we don't do modern. We do, however, live "in a musical" (as my son has always put it!).
We will be having a normal conversation with friends and/or family and a word will spark a song for someone. That person will always break out in song. Many times we will all join in and even get up to dance if the song calls for doing so.
Need I say that this practice has embarrassed my son on more than one occasion? Ahh, I still love to sing in the grocery store.

And, I can't sing...can't carry a tune. But, hey, I sing loud and proud anyway!!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:59 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
With that attitude they're probably very happy you don't show up. Congratulations. It's a win-win for everybody.
No they still beg us.

But they can't cook.

I can.

So they can damn well come to my house. I'n not eating bad turkey.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
My kids have been sniglet, the stinker brat, chicken nugget and doodle bug...and then there's the nickname dd#2 has made me promise NEVER to repeat (Has to do with her having prolific and noisy bowel movements as a baby, lol).

Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Last one awake on school days gets woken up by 80lbs of border collie doing the "humpty dance" on your blanket even if you are still in it.

Hula hoop contests every Tuesday to see who makes dinner.

Attempts to find the most unusual objects on the beach. This once backfired badly when my 7 yo sister found an "adult toy" in the dunes. Ya, that was bad.

Wearing inappropriate costumes to the movies. For example, we are all dressing up as Star Wars characters to go see Twilight. At the last Star Wars movies we wore Star Trek costumes (I thought we were going to get beat up at that one). The only exception are the Pirates movies. THOSE you must take seriously.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM

812 posts, read 1,907,633 times
I like to say "I love..... (stalling) ....spider man, I love star wars stickers, I love tube socks...finding odd random things to say I LOVE when I should be saying "I love YOU!" they get the giggles and say "NO you love ME!" I am like "ME who? I don't know you! What is your name?" I can drag it out and we go on and on! Of course it ends with big hugs and kisses and lots of smiles and laughing.

We change the words of cartoon songs to whatever it is we are doing at the time. Dora has a Clean Up song I use to say Wake Up Wake Up in the mornings and then there is the Yo Gabba Party in my Tummy when we are eating.

We will pretend we are their food and do silly voices....Oh please don't eat me! Oh no my arm is missing, help help it's dark in here!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 AM

167 posts, read 477,062 times
The tickle monster comes to our house early mornings as well. We've recently rescued a pet rabbit (never thought I'd ever say that) so it's now bunny kisses on the forehead, pretending to be Fluffy. Always seems to get smiles instead of growls and frowns when having to get up.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Wearing inappropriate costumes to the movies. For example, we are all dressing up as Star Wars characters to go see Twilight. At the last Star Wars movies we wore Star Trek costumes (I thought we were going to get beat up at that one). The only exception are the Pirates movies. THOSE you must take seriously.
Can I come with? There are just not enough opportunities to wear costumes, in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
Our birthday ritual is that the birthday person gets to choose what we have for dinner and what musical genre we will sing Happy Birthday in. Family favorites are Opera, Rap, and Reggae.

We have another family ritual in which everyone loads up in the car and goes on a road trip for Mother's Day and Father's Day. These trips are usually local in nature and always the honoree gets to choose where we go. Most of the time it is a surprise which drives the older two nuts. These are mandatory adventures and you never know where you will end up or how long it will take. Good quality family time with a captive audience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting