Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Fact is, you can't raise your children in a bubble. They will be influenced by people and things outside of your control. You will occasionally change your mind or make compromises on things you felt 100% certain about before you actually got to the place where you actually get to make the call. Regarding grandparents, I think the best bet is to keep in mind that somehow they managed to successfully raise you and certainly had input on the views and values you now hold dear. Keep them in the loop with your feelings but pick your battles. If you feel strongly about X toy/indulgence whatever then I don't see anything wrong with letting the grandparents know that. But it's unfair and unrealistic to tell them they can never indulge a grandchild because you don't believe in indulgence period. I agree with whomever said earlier ultimately, how you choose to live and behave will have much more influence on your child than the occasional grandparental indulgence.

Congratulations and enjoy parenting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 01:29 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If the grandparents want to buy a kid a Xbox 360 just because, why not? It's their money and they can do what they want with it.
But of course, the parents can say, "In our home, children under 10 don't play video games," or, "He will enjoy playing it when he comes to visit you," or some other such thing. Hopefully this would be clear before the grandparents made the purchase. If grandparents wanted to buy the child a horse, or a gun, or a dog, or a drum set, shouldn't they first get the parents' permission? In some households, video games are at least as intrusive as dogs.

Perhaps the grandparents generosity can be harnessed and directed: a quality bicycle, horseback riding lessons (but not a horse!), a musical instrument, a special vacation.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:33 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Fortunately, you've got a couple of years before your parents' and inlaws' influences will affect your little one. LOL Be sure to discuss with both your parents, the importance of the core values you and your wife want to instill in your children. Then, consider yourselves lucky to have parents who plan on spoiling their grandchild. As other posters have already said, many have parents who have nothing to do with their grandchildren. They don't remember their grandchildren's birthdays, much less want to buy them anything.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Think of any spoiled kids you know. It is the parents who do the spoiling. I cannot think of a single child I have ever known who was spoiled because their grandparents spoiled them.

If your day to day caregivers are calm, supportive but realistic, generous of their time and moderate with material things the kids turn out fine no matter what the grandparents do.
Um. Yeah, the spoiled kids I am thinking about who live in a fantasy world of riches ARE the other grandchildren in this scenario. However, they all live within walking distance of aforementioned grandparents. We live 4 hours away. We are hoping THAT will make a difference.
These same grandparents undermine us with our own dogs...I can't imagine how they'll be with the kids.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
ultimately, how you choose to live and behave will have much more influence on your child than the occasional grandparental indulgence.

!
I 100% agree. And I agree that kids and grandparents share a very special relationship. What worries me is that it is unlikely to be 'occasional' indulgence based on history of how they are with their nearby grandchildren, but like I said...with them living farther away, it may mitigate the problem.

I would rather the 'special' relationship be comprised of time spent together learning, fishing, baking, cuddling...not guilt money thrown around.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I guess I disagree with almost all of this. If the grandparents want to buy a kid a Xbox 360 just because, why not?.
Because it is my decision as to when a gaming system enters this house.

I however have no issue with them getting to have an xbox at grandparents' house to play with.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I would rather the 'special' relationship be comprised of time spent together learning, fishing, baking, cuddling...not guilt money thrown around.
"Guilt money", stan4? That doesn't sound healthy.

Congratulations, though! I'm very happy for you!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
Did I see a thread about a paremt who would take the kids toys and sell them ?

Could be a handy way tp make money out of the grandparents.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Well how would your kids feel if they see their cousins getting all kinds of cool gifts from the grandparents but they rarely get anything or whatever they get is much smaller?

Just provide them with a whole ton of grandkids to spoil and they'll run out of money.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well how would your kids feel if they see their cousins getting all kinds of cool gifts from the grandparents but they rarely get anything or whatever they get is much smaller?

That's another big lesson. Who the hell cares what other people do or get? This attitude is the first step towards the 'keeping up with the Joneses' mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting