Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times

Advertisements

I'm purposely being vague. My child recently told me that a kid in his class was laughing all the time. She (laughing kid) apparently said that she takes or took "pills that make me laugh." It was late in the day so I'm suspecting that if something was taken, it was at school. They are in first grade. I know the girl but not really her parents. I have no reason to believe that my son is lying about this.

It is none of my business obviously if this child is on some type of prescription medication. But I am concerned that maybe some kid at the school got a hold of some parents' medication or something and was passing it around. I don't want to be an alarmist but I am very concerned for this girl and other kids in the school. This unfortunately is not unheard of in elementary schools in our state.

I would rather over-react than under-react. I feel I must alert someone. I don't know if I should tell the teacher, a school counselor, the nurse, etc. I don't want to be accusatory. I want to just bring it up as a concern for the safety of the kids at the school (which is what it is). I don't want to be seen as some busybody PTA mom but I will not forgive myself if I don't tell someone. Who would you tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I probably wouldn't say anything because I know first graders say silly things all the time. I can just imagine what my own son has said in order to get a laugh out of his classmates.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
It could be something, it could be nothing. Personally, I would probably not say anything based on such a vague and baseless statement from a first grader. Now, if the girl had offered my kid the pills, or he saw her passing them out or taking them, then that would be a whole different situation and I would place an anonymous call/email to the principal to let them know what my child saw.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
One of my sons was always skinny but ate very well - we would make comments about him having tapeworms that were taking all the food. Well he started telling the kids at school that he was just skinny because he had worms so we get a call from the health nurse wanting to know what doctor was treating him for his worms.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,873,576 times
There is an expression, "Did you take your happy pills", said when someone is laughing and being silly. Maybe this child has heard that before.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,552,647 times
I wouldn't worry about it, it's only the first grade and boys and girls can be very silly at that age. As far as passing around a parents medication I think more than she would be acting a little silly and the teacher would take notice.

Just wait until middle school and see what comes out of your sons mouth!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Are you talking about my DD? Seriously though, my DD is in first grade and when I read your post I honestly thought you could be talking about my DD. This is the kind of thing a 1st grader says to be funny. It could also be something like our bandaid thing. DD giggles every time she gets a bandaid put on because for years every time she would hurt herself and needed a bandaid we would tickle her as we put the bandaid on. Now she thinks that bandaids tickle. The little girl you are talking about may not like taking her medication, so one day her mom said "Honey, don't you know this medicine makes you laugh. You should try it."

I very highly doubt a 1st grader is raiding her parents medicine cabinet to pop some pills for fun. It is much more likely that either it is the laughing medicine, or she was being silly.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
I put lotion on my toddler at night after her bath and tell her it's the "magic sleeping/good dream lotion"

It sounds like she was just being silly - maybe something her mom says if she takes a multi-vitamin?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I agree with everyone else. She's just a kid being a kid. There's nothing for you to do.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
I wouldn't say anything to anybody, personally. There's just not a story there.
If you absolutely feel you must make a statement, then repeat what was said-- without maybes, suppositions, or "well I just thought maybe"s-- to the teacher. If you go to anyone else, you're going to immediately be tagged That Mom. At some point in the next four or five years you may need someone to take you seriously for a real issue, and your reputation will precede you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting