Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,365,616 times

Advertisements

I wish I could find a picture of the storage containers we use. They have attached lids, in that the lids don't come completely off but snap closed on one side and the other side is like a plastic hinge.

I had different sizes. All the legos went into one large one. All baseball cards went into a small one. All the crayons went into another small one. They're not pretty. They are transluscent so we could see what was stored inside. They were narrow enough to slide under the bed. And different sizes stacked very well randomly.

If I can't find a picture online, I'll take a picture of some of the ones that are in my attic. (My kids are adults now.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM

834 posts, read 2,692,476 times
I suggest getting a shelving unit with plastic bins and label everything. One bin for water animals, one bin for farm animals, etc etc. We got our daughter a pre-K style cubbie shelf unit. It has transparent plastic bins, and spaces to put a way books, puzzles, musical toys, etc. She particularly likes the bins because she has one for each type of toy, she even has one for her "jewelry". For the most part she keeps it organized herself.

At the same time be realistic during your move and get rid of anything that is broken or no longer in use by your kids. You can donate to charity so that other families can enjoy.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,286,750 times
TargetHome

This is the other one we use. We have canvas bins that go in half the cubes. The other half are open shelves with puzzles and games stacked in them. Target sells the cubes and bins in all different colors. You could make it look more "adult" if it is going in a common area.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,832,973 times
My son likes to play with his Legos downstairs, rather than in his room, and Legos get all over the place. I finally got a nice bin for the kitchen table, similar to this but in yellow to match the kitchen:

Room Essentials Medium Storage Bin Grn Print Gre... : Target

The rule is that if it overflows, he has to take it upstairs and put some of it away. Otherwise, he just brings more and more stuff downstairs. Also, big things like light sabers and play swords have to go back upstairs before bed.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Here's the small size:

It's 14" x 8" x 4.5"

Shop Rubbermaid Plastic 6 Qt Clear Snapcase at Lowes.com

Can't find a picture of the larger one. But it was exactly the same, just bigger. Those grooved tops helped them stay stacked. Two smaller ones could stack side by side on a bigger one. The depth made it possible to slide under beds. And the attached hinged lid kept the lids from getting lost.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-02-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Here's the larger one:

Snap Storage Case, 1.8 Gal Clear | vanguardwholesale

It's 11" x 24". This one is 14" high. Our big ones aren't that deep (they are like 14" x 24" x 6"). But it gives you an idea.

The main important factors are that they are durable, have attached lids, translucent so you can see what's in them, stackable, and easily slid under beds.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
We're moving into a new home in a month and we have resolved to get organized. We've been renting for years and since we haven't felt where we lived was permanent, things have not found permanent "homes," as DH would put it. DH is naturally more organized and anti-clutter than I am, but I am turning over a new leaf because our house right now just looks overwhelmed by toys, books of all kinds, crayons, the kids' art work that I refuse to throw out, etc.

We're moving into a slightly smaller space so organization is a must. Are bins the answer?
Sing to yourself Please release me, let me go, cuz you don't love me anymore!" Get yourself over to FlyLady.net and learn that you cannot organize clutter. If you haven't used it, get rid of it!

Quote:
I am just so tired of picking up random toys, little action figures, wheels that have come off cars, and other things from the living room.
Save only the toys that the kids play with. Get rid of or rotate out the rest.

Throw away wheels! Why are you keeping wheels?

Quote:
My boys are good at cleaning up but I don't want people to walk into our home and think it's been overrun by my 5- and 2-year olds. Do I just need to buck up and throw out stuff even though it's nostalgic?
Yes!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM

368 posts, read 931,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Sing to yourself Please release me, let me go, cuz you don't love me anymore!" Get yourself over to FlyLady.net and learn that you cannot organize clutter. If you haven't used it, get rid of it!

Save only the toys that the kids play with. Get rid of or rotate out the rest.

Throw away wheels! Why are you keeping wheels?

Yes!
LOL I agree that holding onto the wheels is crazy. I only started doing it because right after I threw out a wheel, my older son found his precious car after it'd been buried somewhere and lost his marbles because the car was now
imperfect due to the missing wheel! it's like holding onto
a random button "just in case" you might need it. And I've got a container of
random buttons too!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,286,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
LOL I agree that holding onto the wheels is crazy. I only started doing it because right after I threw out a wheel, my older son found his precious car after it'd been buried somewhere and lost his marbles because the car was now
imperfect due to the missing wheel! it's like holding onto
a random button "just in case" you might need it. And I've got a container of
random buttons too!
Me too! Because I know as soon as I throw the wheel away, I'll find the car it goes to!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM

812 posts, read 1,914,443 times
I posted on another thread about the IKEA Expedit shelves with clear bins and everything is sorted by type. Balls, small stuffed animals, super heroes, and everything has a home. they have to put something away before taking something else out. it isn't perfect but clean up is much easier/quicker and less random stuff laying around after the fact.

We have a separate ART center with a puzzle piece foam floor so that stuff stays in 1 place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting