Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,686,553 times

Advertisements

"Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby won’t be charged in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Cecilia Slaby, who was left in a car for eight hours amid searing heat Aug. 23, prosecutors said this morning.

Nesselroad-Slaby, 40, forgot she left the sleeping girl strapped in a child seat of a sport utility vehicle at Glen Este Middle School, where she is the assistant principal."

I have no doubt that this was a tragic mistake, but I think it's interesting that this woman remembered the doughnuts, but not her child. It's also worth noting that she hired one of the best lawyers in town and his PR machine has been spewing forth sympathetic stories ever since this happened and has orchestrated and ingenious campaign to get her off and apparently it worked . . . I have to wonder if a young, poor, woman of another race would have gotten off without charges if she had done the same thing.

I hope Brenda Slaby has the decency to resign her position as assistant principal because IMO anyone who unintentionally kills their own child should not be entrusted with the children of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,184 times
Angry how could you

I do not understand how someone could forget about a life that they created. I do not have any compassion for people that do this. How can you forget about about someone that you gave birth to, or someone that you got up in the middle of the night to make sure they are ok. No matter if you stayed up all night or if you were running late remember about the little life the God is holding you responsible for. I do not understand people giving advise on how to not forget your child in the car, like leaving your purse in the back seat when you put the child back there or putting a stuffed animal in the front seat to help you remember. You should not have to have little reminders around to remember your child. When I am in the car I am more likely to forget my purse or lock the keys in my car then to forget my son. You are supposed to take care of your childeren!!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,146,773 times
I am curious as to WHY it's a tragic mistake when a School Principal OR a Dr leave their kid in the car BUT it's a criminal act if a welfare mother does it? I have seen this several times......keep in mind.....I believe that the Welfare mother IS guilty of a criminal act but SO IS the Principal or the Doctor......

Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 PM

119 posts, read 457,164 times
I'm not sure which is more sickening...A) Parents "forgetting" their kids in the car and it results in the death of an innocent child or B) how people downgrade this to a "mistake". There have been so many cases of this being reported nowdays that you would think parents would be more responsible with their kids.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:08 PM

77 posts, read 273,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I was thinking more about this today, and I want to state that I'm really not in a position to say whether someone should or shouldn't be punished in this situation, if it truly was a mistake. That's not to say I think it was excusable, but I also realize that I've made some mistakes in my life, and would hope that enough mercy would be shown to me that it would be recognized that bearing the pain of what happened as a result of my mistake would in and of itself be enough "punishment".

I DO believe in compassion and mercy. I just happen to also think people need to be a bit more mindful of their environments and use common sense when the lives of others are in their charge.
A mistake is when you leave the iron on at home, lock your keys in the car...etc. Forgetting your child is in the car is just plain stupid! For smart people they are pretty dumb and I believe that there should be a punishment for all of those people dumb enough and self absorbed enough not to remember their child is in the car! It just makes my blood boil to think about those poor kids who were forgotten!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,584,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I am curious as to WHY it's a tragic mistake when a School Principal OR a Dr leave their kid in the car BUT it's a criminal act if a welfare mother does it? I have seen this several times......keep in mind.....I believe that the Welfare mother IS guilty of a criminal act but SO IS the Principal or the Doctor......
You are so right about this. Now I'm curious, if she was asst. principal at the elementary school, where was the 2 yr old supposed to be - at the school with her? Daycare? Something doesn't sound right IMO?

Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,539,706 times
We've exceeded 2006 in child hyperthermia deaths. This website with statistical map is very informative. Click on the number on the map and read each tragic story.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:04 PM

355 posts, read 2,704,971 times
Some people are just idiots . How can you forget a child in a car ? You know you put the child in there , so how can you forget to take the child out ?!!!!! It seems that when you would get out of the car and start walking off from the car , you would see the child sitting in the back seat looking at you from the rear window wondering where you are going !! Eventually , car manufacturers are going to have to put cameras in cars of people who have kids so that when kids are left in vehicles by themselves , the car manufacturers will be able to see the kids in the car by themselves and call the authorities .

Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,425,227 times
Similar kind of story, but a totally different outcome: Dad charged with leaving child in car.

What's your take on this? Why was this man charged when his child lived, but Slaby got away without being charged? Is it because the death of her daughter was punishment enough in the eyes of the court? Is it because she forgot, and he did it knowingly? Or does it have something to do with it being a Hispanic male versus a female assistant principal? Or is it neither?

Your thoughts?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:29 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,584,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Similar kind of story, but a totally different outcome: Dad charged with leaving child in car.

What's your take on this? Why was this man charged when his child lived, but Slaby got away without being charged? Is it because the death of her daughter was punishment enough in the eyes of the court? Is it because she forgot, and he did it knowingly? Or does it have something to do with it being a Hispanic male versus a female assistant principal? Or is it neither?

Your thoughts?
I think the poster's quote below sums it up. To add probably because he was Hispanic and more than likely a blue collar worker. I'm sure had he been a doctor/lawyer/principal/superintendent, the outcome would have been much different IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting