Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times

Advertisements

Reading through threads recently, paricularly ones about "kids today" made me ponder whether or not people on the forum were aware of or had read anything about Strauss and Howe's Generational Theory?

Strauss-Howe generational theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

William Strauss and Neil Howe are historians. They set out to produce a work telling the history of America from the perspective of the generations who lived them, a generational biography if you will. This work became known as Generations. While writing it they discovered a pattern of four "Turnings" and four generational "Archetypes" that produce an almost predictable pattern (each turning lasts 20 years and they repeat every 80 years, roughly) that has influenced the course of events and societal outlook. This work was known as The Fourth Turning. They have also gone on to write two additional works expanding on this theory and projecting it forward into our current time and near future. These books were primarily focused on prepping businesses and universities for the changes the current coming of age generations would bring, these works were titled The Next Twenty Years and Millenials Go to College.

While their work is essentially nothing more than a well researched and thought out theory, the conclusions they draw certainly hold weight and reading them speaks much to the interaction between generations, particularly children, parents and grandparents. Having read their work extensively in college history classes, I tend to find it useful to look back on when I am interacting with people of various ages. Here is the summary in a nutshell (yes, I am borrowing heavily from the wiki article):

There are Four Turnings, with each phase occupying 20 years. So, a complete cycle lasts 80 years or roughly one human life. These Turnings are generally epitomized by the generation that came of age during that time. These are broken down as follows:

High - Highs occur after a crisis. Insitutions are strong and individualism is weak. Society is confident about where it wants to go collectively, but those outside the majoritarian center feel stifled by conformity. The last American high was the period from 1946 until the assassination of JFK in 1963. The Silent Generation (born 1925-1942) came of age during this time and they are known for their caution, conformity and institutional trust. Most married early, had children, sought stable lifelong corporate jobs and moved to suburbs.

Awakening - This is an era when institutions are attacked in the name of personal and spiritual autonomy. Just when society is reaching its high tide of public progress, people suddenly tire of social discipline and want to recapture a sense of personal authenticity. Young activists look back at the previous High as an era of cultural and spiritual poverty. The most recent Awakening was the "Consciosness Revolution" which spanned from the protests and social unrest of the 1960's to the tax revolts of the 1980's. The Boomers (born 1943-1960) came of age during this time. They were marked by high idealism and emphasis on self expression.

Unraveling - The mood of this era is in many ways the opposite of a High: Institutions are weak and distrusted, while individualism is strong and flourishing. Highs come after Crises, when society wants to coalesce and build. Unravelings come after Awakenings, when society wants to atomize and enjoy. The "Long Boom" and "Culture Wars" from the mid 1980's to the mid-late 2000's are the most recent Unraveling. The era began with a new ethic of individualism (Reagan’s “Morning in America”), which has developed into an edgy popular culture, a pervasive distrust of institutions and leaders, and the splitting of national consensus into competing “values” camps. Generation X (born 1961-1981) epitomizes this era with their risk taking, free agency and market orientation.

Crisis - This is an era in which America’s institutional life is destroyed and rebuilt in response to a perceived threat to the nation’s survival. Civic authority revives, cultural expression redirects towards community purpose, and people begin to locate themselves as members of a larger group. Fourth Turnings have all been new “founding moments” in America’s history, moments that redefined the national identity. Our last Crisis was the Great Depression and WW2, we are now entering another Crisis age with its beginning marked as the current "Great Recession". The GI Generation (born 1914-1928) came of age during this time. Their confidence, optimism and collective outlook defined the mood of the era. Today's Millenial Generation (born 1982-2000) share many of these same attributes.

Sorry, for the long post, but this is interesting stuff...at least to me. Finally I will touch on what are the Four Archetypes of generations:

Prophet generations (dominant) are born after a Crisis, during a time of rejuvenated community life and consensus around a new societal order. Prophets grow up as the increasingly indulged children of this post-Crisis era, come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders of an Awakening, focus on morals and principles in midlife, and emerge as elders guiding another Crisis. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their coming-of-age fervor and their values-oriented elder leadership. Their main societal contributions are in the area of vision, values, and religion. The current Prophets are the Boomers (born 1943-1960).

Nomad generations (recessive) are born during an Awakening, a time of social ideals and spiritual agendas, when young adults are passionately attacking the established institutional order. Nomads grow up as under-protected children during this Awakening, come of age as alienated, post-Awakening adults, become pragmatic midlife leaders during a Crisis, and age into resilient post-Crisis elders. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their fast-paced, alienated rising-adult years and their midlife years of pragmatic leadership. Their main societal contributions are in the area of liberty, survival and honor. The current Nomads are Generation X (born 1961-1981).

Hero generations (dominant) are born after an Awakening, during a time of individual pragmatism, self-reliance, and laissez faire. Heroes grow up as increasingly protected post-Awakening children, come of age as team-oriented young optimists during a Crisis, emerge as energetic, overly-confident midlifers, and age into politically powerful elders attacked by another Awakening. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their collective military triumphs in young adulthood and their political achievements as elders. Their main societal contributions are in the area of community, affluence, and technology. The current Hero's are the GI Generation (born 1914-1928) and the Millenials (born 1982-2000).

Artist generations (recessive) are born during a Crisis, a time when great dangers cut down social and political complexity in favor of public consensus, aggressive institutions, and an ethic of personal sacrifice. Artists grow up overprotected by adults preoccupied with the Crisis, come of age as the socialized and conformist young adults of a post-Crisis world, break out as process-oriented midlife leaders during an Awakening, and age into thoughtful post-Awakening elders. Due to this location in history, such generations tend to be remembered for their quiet years of rising adulthood and their midlife years of flexible, consensus-building leadership. Their main societal contributions are in the area of expertise and due process. The current example of this generation is the Silents (born 1925-1942) and the Homelanders (born 2001+).

I found this last part to be VERY interesting and serves as nice summary:

One reason why the cycle of archetypes recurs is that each youth generation tries to correct or compensate for what it perceives as the excesses of the midlife generation in power. For example, Boomers (a Prophet generation, whose strength is individualism, culture and values) raised Millennial children (a Hero generation, whose strength is in collective civic action). Archetypes do not create archetypes like themselves, they create opposing archetypes. As Strauss and Howe explain, “your generation isn’t like the generation that shaped you, but it has much in common with the generation that shaped the generation that shaped you.”

***Basically, your kids have much more in common with their GRANDPARENTS, then they ever will with you in terms of their outlook on society. Maybe this is why kids and grandparents get along so well, they tend to share the same ideals.***

This also occurs because the societal role that feels freshest to each generation of youth is the role being vacated by a generation of elders that is passing away. In other words, a youth generation comes of age and defines its collective persona just as an opposing generational archetype is in its midlife peak of power, and the previous generation of their archetype is passing away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I find this at least as fascinating as you do, NJGoat.

My introduction to archetypes was as an undergrad (English lit, Jung) and add to that Campbell's work . . . and I have been thinking about how successive generations build upon the collective from previous generations for most of my life. I find it all quite intriquing and amazing and yes, I think the authors are on to something.

Without boring everyone to tears . . . I would simply say that in my own life - examining my own family's history, which i know well back to 1840 . . . I have identified all sorts of trends (social, political, economic, spiritual) and measured them against progression of society as a whole (in the South, especially) - and looked at familial relationships in light of the culture of the day - and found some answers (and sometimes, only clues) as to why society moved in certain directions, why political movements became so widespread, etc.

I have a rather unique situation as my mother being the last child of a large family, my grandfather was born in 1889 (he was also the last child in a large family). There simply are not that many folks my age who have a grandparent whose older brothers fought in the Civil War - and who have access to first person narratives and documents.

I think one of the most interesting aspects of Generational Theory is in identifying what generations work best together and what generations seem to have had (or can be predicted to likely have) fractious relationships (often w/ their own children/parents). There are practical applications that can arise from identifying what generations are most compatible, cooperative, collegial . . . and using that info to design ideal work place interactions as well as teacher/student relationships.

If a person spends some time identifying various family members and their relationships over the last 100 years, it often becomes apparent why Uncle Joe didn't get along w/ his parents worth a flip, but moved in with his grandparents and was an integral part of their lives til they died.

As a Boomer, I feel the contention, myself, w/ many Gen X'ers (we are making generalities here, of course!) but find Millenials absolutely delightful. My Gen X stepkids don't seem to have much in common with their dad or me . . . but our Millenial kid - who couldn't help but be charmed by their good humor and optimism, teamwork approach (wh/ works well in families, not just the work place and with friends!) appreciation for the values Boomers brought to the table, and the generous spirit they have with sharing their knowledge of technology with others?

There really is something to why grandparents and grandchildren are often closer than children and their parents (depending on wh/ archetype everyone fits in, of course). Things that my older cousins (who were the same age as my parents) found aggravating about our grandparents were some of the characteristics that endeared them to me. I noticed this even as a child . . .

I think with the economic situation facing this country, it could be especially helpful to see how business relationships between different generations could be maximized towards the most innovation and productivity. This is a practical application of Generational Theory that could be very interesting to study.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Ooh, another S&H fan! Cool to meet you!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,247 times
I was born mid generation of Unraveling (`1970) but can't really say I got along with my (~1920 born) grandparents--however they waited til later in life to have children so maybe they overlapped with a generation that didn't agree with mine! And my children have a 60 yr gap between them and their grandparents.

I do tend to agree with the idea that each generation tries to correct the previous one.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I'm a self-absorbed, indulged, idealistic, crusading Boomer. Make love, not war. Peace out, Baby.

Feel free to blame me for everything.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-01-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM

I would say I did relate to my Grandparents on a lot of things (mom's parents) and they were 62 years older than me, even as a small child I did. But I definitely don't relate to very many things with my parents (who are 31 years older than me). However, my mom was very different from my grandparents, especially in their viewpoints about things and they were, you do the math, 31 years older than her.

I even relate to my other set of Grandparents more than I do with my dad. My Grandpa is 53 years older and my Nana is 49 years older than me.

My mom's parents were Silents or Artists according to this theory.
My mom is a Boomer or a Prophet.
I'm a Millennial and a Hero.

My dad's parents (his dad is a Silent; born in 1939, my Nana is a Boomer; born in 1943)
My dad is part of the 13th generation or Nomads.

I do notice these generation archetypes characteristics in my family members, especially those born during the "core" of their archetype years.

But personally, I do have some Hero characteristics in me, but I feel I belong more with the Artist descriptions. I am very cautious, rule abiding, respectful of authority and sort of a "helpful mate". I've always been like this, even when I was little.

Last edited by 90sman; 09-01-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Fascinating. Thank you for sharing this.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM

To add on about the mood throughout each era...

The gap between gender roles have historically been wide during the High, then narrowed down during an Awakening, reach its minimal during the Unraveling and widens again during the Crisis.

For substance abuse (alcohol, drugs, etc.)... the usage rate of these things are low during the High, rises during an Awakening, reaches its peak in the Unraveling and falls during the Crisis.

As for immigration levels... they're low during the High, rises during the Awakening, peaks in the Unraveling and begins to fall in the Crisis.

Birth rates:
High- birth rate is high
Awakening- birth rate falls
Unraveling- birth rate is low
Crisis- birth rate starts to rise

Tolerance for riskiness:
High- low
Awakening-increasing
Unraveling- peaking
Crisis-falling

Families:
High- strong families
Awakening- weakening families
Unraveling- weak families
Crisis- Strengthening families.

Crime rates:
High-low
Awakening-rising
Unraveling- high
Crisis- falling

Mood of society:
High- conformist and cautious. Individuality is discouraged. Sense of community is strong.
Awakening- less conformist, increasingly individualized.
Unraveling- Individuality is flourishing.
Crisis- Society starts becoming increasingly conformist as sense of community begins to strengthen.

Economy:
High- rapidly expanding. Past Highs have seen economic prosperity for middle class families.
Awakening- begins to slow down.
Unraveling- ups and downs.
Crisis- experiences set backs.

Attitude towards men and women:
Highs- tend to be more pro-male and more anti-female
Awakenings- increasingly pro-female and more anti-male
Unraveling- pro-female and anti-male
Crisis- increasingly pro-male and increasingly anti-female.

Last edited by 90sman; 09-01-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm a self-absorbed, indulged, idealistic, crusading Boomer. Make love, not war. Peace out, Baby.

Feel free to blame me for everything.
Me, too.

I'm not so enamored of any of the "generation" theories. People are individuals. We are shaped by our culture, but culture goes beyond generations.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not so enamored of any of the "generation" theories. People are individuals. We are shaped by our culture, but culture goes beyond generations.
That is so Boomer-ish I am collapsing in laughter. Or having a falshback. Hard to tell.

(Non-Boomers will not get this, of course. That's what makes it so fabulous!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting