Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM

645 posts, read 990,596 times

Advertisements

I applaud this young lady for taking a stand and doing the right thing. Bravo!!

Jennifer McKendrick, Pennsylvania Photographer, Refuses To Photograph Teen Bullies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,018,989 times
Excellent. One small step that will hopefully snowball into a campaign to end the nastiness. I'm sure this photographer will reap more business than she is giving up.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,796,988 times
It's her perogative to do what she feels she needs to; but it all seems just a little weird to me that she looked these kids up on Facebook and made a judgement about their behavior and who they are based on nothing more than some Facebook posts. Again, her choice to do what she feels is right, but is she now going to somehow verify that every picture she takes isn't of a bully?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,154,931 times
Kuddos to her and her parents for raising a stand up kid and to know what is right and wrong . Yep Im sure she will get far more business now than she turned down . I think we need more of these kids in our world today and more parents like hers who take care of business at home more than the board room .

Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM

13,611 posts, read 10,034,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It's her perogative to do what she feels she needs to; but it all seems just a little weird to me that she looked these kids up on Facebook and made a judgement about their behavior and who they are based on nothing more than some Facebook posts. Again, her choice to do what she feels is right, but is she now going to somehow verify that every picture she takes isn't of a bully?
Oh come on Goat. If they posted vile things on their facebook page, why does she need any further evidence? You post what you post, you get judged for it, and rightly so.

I'm all for making bullies and their bullying crap becoming completely socially unacceptable. I think that's a necessary step in eradicating that behavior from our kids' world. No audience, no bullying. Bullies think they're impressing people with their power. No applause, no bullying.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,209,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not perfect, certainly, but a step.
I've had several separate conversations lately with people who have observed that Facebook-- unlike anonymous forums-- tends to distill people into exactly who they are. When your face is attached to what you say, yet you're encouraged to say it in manageable bits, a person becomes very succinct in expressing oneself precisely according to self-image.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,061,892 times
Wow, good for her!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM

958 posts, read 2,136,914 times
I can't stand FB!! I've known two families effected by the ugly side of FB. One by divorce and the other when their preteen daughter attempted suicide. All because what was posted on FB.

Good for her!!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,240,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Not perfect, certainly, but a step.
I've had several separate conversations lately with people who have observed that Facebook-- unlike anonymous forums-- tends to distill people into exactly who they are. When your face is attached to what you say, yet you're encouraged to say it in manageable bits, a person becomes very succinct in expressing oneself precisely according to self-image.
It is amazing how 'honest' and nasty people are on facebook.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,209,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
It is amazing how 'honest' and nasty people are on facebook.
What I've found is that there are some people I friended whom I didn't really know well, and whom I've really gotten to like a lot from their facebook postings-- not just to and with me, but with their other friends. And then there are people I thought I was friends with whom I now find pretty much appalling. I've defriended and hidden an awful lot of people, and try to keep my list at well under a hundred friends, because it's too hard to really value the interactions otherwise. Those people who have like 3000 friends? Fuggedaboudit.

Even above that though I'll probably end up closing my account soon. Too many privacy issues-- which is a problem with Google's new one, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting