Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,631,076 times

Advertisements

And whether people like it or not, social networking is a totally integral part of Generation Z's social life. It's not going to stop, and parents really need to figure out a way to deal with it in their lives.

It's amazing to me we have thread after thread on this forum about this generation of kids being so terrible and undisciplined, yadda yadda. And then when kids are being forced to face consequences for wrongdoings, people get all jittery. I don't think there's anything wrong with Generation Z, their parents on the other hand need to get a grip and start being consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,596,822 times
When I was growing up I went to high schools on both coasts - the senior pics were done at the school with one photographer. When my nieces were graduating years ago in the midwest, they did the hiring a photographer, changing locales and clothes thing. I'd never heard of that before. But that seems to be the norm here too and we did that for both my kids.

That said, a person doing business is free to do business with whomever they choose (or not as the case may be).

Old 08-26-2011, 08:15 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,167,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, it wasn't. She has every right to not want to work with these kids and to post her feelings about it. She didn't name names. If she had, your reasoning might have merit (although personally, I have no problem with it). It was bad enough for the two of the girls' parents to apologize for it. If you think freelance photographers turn down work lightly, then I'm going to ASSume you've never had a freelance job.

If you don't want to suffer repercussions, don't mob bully somebody on the internet for all to see. It's really that simple. The girls opened themselves up to this when they did that. They didn't care enough about their precious reputations to stop and think for one second that perhaps what they were doing was wrong. They didn't care enough about the person they bullied to not humiliate her in public.

These girls are seniors, about to be let loose in the adult world. The time for coddling is over. They should have known better.
Where are you all getting this from? I read the story and the blog. She said two of the parents sent emails that they apologize "IF" their child did what she claims. Meaning they'd look into it. And how does she find a Facebook page under a "FICTITIOUS" name that happens to have 4 of her clients on it. And what exactly were they saying that made her think it was "bullying"? Who knows what the situation was or how long and under what circumstances it got started and/or continues. I'll bet "Payback" looks like "Bullying" if you get there late enough in the action.

I don't know this woman and I'm not willing to jump on her bandwagon without knowing first, what her definition of "Bullying" is. I take this woman's claim that she saw "bullying" with the same grain of salt as when some person reports being "offended" or accuses someone of being a "racist", etc. Your opinion or feeling about it don't make it necessarily so.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,990,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
When I was growing up I went to high schools on both coasts - the senior pics were done at the school with one photographer. When my nieces were graduating years ago in the midwest, they did the hiring a photographer, changing locales and clothes thing. I'd never heard of that before. But that seems to be the norm here too and we did that for both my kids.

That said, a person doing business is free to do business with whomever they choose (or not as the case may be).
That might explain it's a regional thing - I grew up in the midwest. Maybe it's still a midwest sort of thing?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,596,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
That might explain it's a regional thing - I grew up in the midwest. Maybe it's still a midwest sort of thing?
That and/or a generational thing perhaps?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That and/or a generational thing perhaps?
I don't know - I think we are close in age though and it was common when I was growing up - even my brother who was 5 years older than me did it.

Maybe a combination of both!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,631,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Where are you all getting this from? I read the story and the blog. She said two of the parents sent emails that they apologize "IF" their child did what she claims. Meaning they'd look into it. And how does she find a Facebook page under a "FICTITIOUS" name that happens to have 4 of her clients on it. And what exactly were they saying that made her think it was "bullying"? Who knows what the situation was or how long and under what circumstances it got started and/or continues. I'll bet "Payback" looks like "Bullying" if you get there late enough in the action.

I don't know this woman and I'm not willing to jump on her bandwagon without knowing first, what her definition of "Bullying" is. I take this woman's claim that she saw "bullying" with the same grain of salt as when some person reports being "offended" or accuses someone of being a "racist", etc. Your opinion or feeling about it don't make it necessarily so.
These kids created a group on Facebook, the sole purpose of which was to mock, ridicule, and bully certain kids in their area.

There is plenty of other information out there about this case.

Huppke: Photographer takes stand against high school meanness - Chicago Tribune

Why so defensive?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,091,233 times
Quote:
My kids went to high school in the Chicago area and the schools there hired a photographer.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,863,367 times
Quote:
Really? Even back in the day when I was a senior we hired someone - we had pictures taken in a studio in several settings with several clothes changes.

Maybe it's a regional thing - but I've never heard of NOT hiring someone to take senior pictures. It's kind of a big deal.

Around here the big thing is to go to a location.
Our yearbook picture HAD to be the one from the photographer. We all had to be wearing the same thing (black wrap style thing). Using an outside photographer wasn't allowed.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My kids went to high school in the Chicago area and the schools there hired a photographer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Our yearbook picture HAD to be the one from the photographer. We all had to be wearing the same thing (black wrap style thing). Using an outside photographer wasn't allowed.
That's very interesting - and way cheaper. You can't imagine then what it can cost to have senior pictures done here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting