Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP, it depends on the family. From "none" to "as many as you can independently provide financial and loving support for" are all valid responses, IMO.

For us, that's two (according to the plan right now anyway).

I wish the zero population growth folks would register the same level of concern about overpopulation world-wide as they do about people in the U.S. choosing to have children. I don't like it when people's beliefs lead them to judge others whose choices are different. Not every "breeder" is popping out a soccer team full of resource-wasters - there are ways to be a responsible citizen of the planet. I respect those who do not want to have children; I would like the same respect in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
People are leaving Florida at an unprecedented rate. Our county is shutting down schools-- the number of schoolchildren has dropped dramatically in the last ten years.
While the out-migration rate has increased in Florida the population still grew over 15% between 2000 and 2010. Hillsborough county is a prime example of fast population growth with little job growth.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
While the out-migration rate has increased in Florida the population still grew over 15% between 2000 and 2010. Hillsborough county is a prime example of fast population growth with little job growth.
Yes, actually, Florida was growing pretty fast in the early and mid 2000s but after 2006, the growth really came to a screeching halt. I think FLA was adding something like over 400,000 people annually around 2003-2005 and student enrollment in some counties were adding almost 10,000 students per year. Hillsborough county added over 7,000 students I think in 2004 and the county grew by over 30,000 people or so.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Quote:
People are leaving Florida at an unprecedented rate. Our county is shutting down schools-- the number of schoolchildren has dropped dramatically in the last ten years.
No, the student enrollment has actually gone up, but it's flattened out since 2006 or so. But before 2006, student enrollment was increasing quite rapidly. I do know that Miami, Broward, Pinellas and Monroe (the country I live in) have seen big drops in their student enrollment though.

But the other counties, Hillsborough, Orange, Lee, Pasco, St. Lucie etc have seen big gains.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
To answer the OP, it depends on the family. From "none" to "as many as you can independently provide financial and loving support for" are all valid responses, IMO.

For us, that's two (according to the plan right now anyway).

I wish the zero population growth folks would register the same level of concern about overpopulation world-wide as they do about people in the U.S. choosing to have children. I don't like it when people's beliefs lead them to judge others whose choices are different. Not every "breeder" is popping out a soccer team full of resource-wasters - there are ways to be a responsible citizen of the planet. I respect those who do not want to have children; I would like the same respect in return.
Yes, the problem throughout the world are the people pumping out babies with no way to feed them.

The middle class is not the problem since there seems to be a pretty good balance of those who never want kids, most who want no more than 2 kids and a few who want more.

As long as people are having the number of kids they want, and can support both emotionally and financially, it's all fine whatever they do. These are not the people who are the problem.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 AM

89 posts, read 175,092 times
As many as you can afford to raise, feed and educate properly for at least 18 years of their lives. And also as many as the mother can have without impact on her emotional and physical health and well being.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
We were going for three, but ended up with four when #3 brought a travelling companion along. In the words of my grandmother, I wouldn't take a million dollars for the ones I have, but I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for another one.
My mom is a twin, #3 and #4, all girls, raised in a tiny house!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
I find more than three pushing it a little. Three is my personal limit.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
In the past, I would have said no more than YOU can handle (there is a tendency in large families to put older children to work caring for and raising the younger children.) but today with a stressed world, I'd say no more than replacement. 2-3 children per woman who has children. There really is no reason to have more than 2 or 3. It's not like the days on the farm when children were likely to not live to become adults and their labor was needed to grow the family farm.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There's a wide range of values between the boom years of 2000-2006 and the following four years, though. Treating that decade as if it was a simple unit tells a very misleading story, particularly in places which expanded rapidly, like the I-4 corridor and along the Suncoast Parkway. There are areas of Polk, Pasco and Hernando Counties (suburban Tampa) which were building at an unprecedented rate earlier, but are virtually ghost towns now. And Pinellas, even with the in-migration from Central American countries, has lost a huge number of schoolkids, down from 148,000 to a bit over 101,000 in just a few years' time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting