Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 PM

296 posts, read 640,915 times

Advertisements

dont forget they have nicer cars and clothes too! oh and they are healthier since healthcare is free or reduced in price. why the heck do i work? maybe i need to quit to enjoy a better life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:14 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,854,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
seems to me that the ones that can't afford them are the ones that have them....look at other countries, the poorest ones have too many people and get american support.
The poorest and from what it seems the very religious folks do tend to have the most kids.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 PM

26,512 posts, read 47,004,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I think 2-4 kids is ideal. I personally want to have 4 kids (two boys and two girls) myself, but want 5 at the most. 6 kids would be pushing it a bit, but 7 and more is too many for me.

My Great-grandmother (born in 1918) had 8 girls, no boys. They tried but no luck.

Most young people I know want around 3 kids, but many want 4 or 5, a couple of my friends want 6. I even have a couple of friends that want 8. Very few want none or one. I would say an equal amount want 2 kids though compared to the amount that want 4 or so.
Most will realize soon enough that they will not have the finances to have that many kids as it gets incredibly expensive. Florida already has way too many people and too few jobs and it will only get worse IMO.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Nope. For some, four is way too much, threes a crowd, twos ok, ones good, and none is best.
Let's see what you say when you're 30

Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 AM

452 posts, read 312,196 times
I'm one of four children and I think 4 is the most I could deal with. I would personally like 3 kids but SO can't make up her mind. It goes from 2-4 all the time. We've got some years to "finalize" our decision though. lol

Old 07-10-2011, 01:10 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,093,868 times
To me, it's two. I would like to say one though.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 AM

385 posts, read 862,669 times
well between my new wife and I we have 3, her son and my son and daughter but my father was the youngest male and the 3rd youngest of 32, yep thats right I said 32.
when I was seven I asked my Grandfather why so many kids, he said he didn't like watching grass grow, I didn't have a clue then but I do now, 3 is more then enough, I'll watch the grass grow

Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,228,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
for me, 2 is perfect. 3 would be too many. I know a few people who have 4. That seems like too many to me, but isn't so uncommon. Any more than 4, and I'm overwhelmed just looking at them. I have a cousin with 5, and I just got the booklet from my 20-year HS reunion and I can't believe how many people have 5 kids! All of them are Mormon FWIW. I think 1 or 2 even had 6 kids.

Honestly, my first thought when I find out someone is pregnant with #3 is "why?" I don't say that out loud of course.
We were going for three, but ended up with four when #3 brought a travelling companion along. In the words of my grandmother, I wouldn't take a million dollars for the ones I have, but I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for another one.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Agree that people aren't taking this as seriously as they should. We are crowded NOW.
I would probably feel guiltier about my four if it hadn't worked out that my mother-- even with my theoretically excessive children-- still has significantly fewer grandchildren than Zero Population Growth would allow for (and some of those are adopted). My best friend and my sister, both without kids (one by choice, one circumstance), tell me I've had theirs.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most will realize soon enough that they will not have the finances to have that many kids as it gets incredibly expensive. Florida already has way too many people and too few jobs and it will only get worse IMO.
People are leaving Florida at an unprecedented rate. Our county is shutting down schools-- the number of schoolchildren has dropped dramatically in the last ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting