Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,868,347 times

Advertisements

I had not heard of this book until today, so maybe I am behind the times.

"Go the F*** to Sleep" not funny - CNN.com

What do you think? Do you agree with Zacharias, who says:

Quote:
The violent language of "Go the F*** to Sleep" is not the least bit funny, when one considers how many neglected children fall asleep each night praying for a parent who'd care enough to hold them, nurture them and read to them.
I do have to object with her next sentence, which is:

Quote:
You know, like all those parents depicted in all those beautifully illustrated storybooks.
To me, that's just schmaltz. I grew up reading fairy tales, among other books, and I still have all the collections I had when I was a kid. I'm sure many people have read the Brothers Grimm and their grisly tales, which only resemble the happy Disney movies we all have watched. Villains were always being rolled downhill in barrels full of spikes or thrown into pits of vipers. Earlier Cinderella stories do not end happily for the stepsisters, whose eyes are picked out by birds.

What do you think about this book? Hilarious and satirical or vulgar and unfunny? What do you think about Zacharias's statement (in the video) that, "I'll admit that I don't understand the level of frustration that would propel a parent, any parent, to think in that terminology toward children. ... I think that there's a coarseness in our society today that has reached a level of just unprecedented coarseness"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,861,250 times
I have heard of the book and actually want to read it. I just keep forgetting to get it. I think it sounds funny. Of course I have a very strange sense of humor.

I am also one of those people who has two conversations with people when I am frustrated. There is the conversation that I am actually having and one I have only in my head. The title of the book reminds me a bit of the second conversation I would have.

I don't use the (offensive) language that they would use, but I can kind of change the language to more tame language as I read. I am also someone who is not easily offended, so maybe that is why the book doesn't seem offensive to me.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,915,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I have heard of the book and actually want to read it. I just keep forgetting to get it. I think it sounds funny. Of course I have a very strange sense of humor.

I am also one of those people who has two conversations with people when I am frustrated. There is the conversation that I am actually having and one I have only in my head. The title of the book reminds me a bit of the second conversation I would have.

I don't use the (offensive) language that they would use, but I can kind of change the language to more tame language as I read. I am also someone who is not easily offended, so maybe that is why the book doesn't seem offensive to me.
I was just going to write such a similar thing that I thought I'd just say "I agree"

To the best of my knowledge, the book is meant in fun, expressing the frustration that every sleep deprived parent (regardless of their choice of language) experiences in their own head while raising their children. I have a hard time taking criticisms such as Zacharias' too seriously.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM

992 posts, read 2,381,660 times
I think it's hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. I think I've actually said that under my breath a few times, when putting my 3 year old to bed.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I was just going to write such a similar thing that I thought I'd just say "I agree"

To the best of my knowledge, the book is meant in fun, expressing the frustration that every sleep deprived parent (regardless of their choice of language) experiences in their own head while raising their children. I have a hard time taking criticisms such as Zacharias' too seriously.
Bingo.

It's not language that I use (ok..at least out loud) but I can remember the frustration of being exhausted, wanting to spend some time having an adult conversation with my husband or watching a show or whatever and thinking that DS or DD would NEVER go to sleep. I think someone needs to lighten up. For goodness sake, not laughing about something does not help all the awful things in the world.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,355,424 times
The biggest problem I have with this book is that I didn't think of writing it.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,309,671 times
hilarious.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:43 PM

4,563 posts, read 10,983,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The biggest problem I have with this book is that I didn't think of writing it.
Lol!

I find it hilarious.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,861,250 times
When I first read about the book it reminded me a lot of Amazon.com: The Poo Bomb: True Tales of Parental Terror (9780740750458): Jeff Vogel: Books.

I loved that book.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,246,164 times
Part of me is curious to read a book with such a title however I am not sure I should.

We would never have a book with that name in our house ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting