Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Part of me is curious to read a book with such a title however I am not sure I should.

We would never have a book with that name in our house ever.
I don't use the F word. No one in my family does. (OK Maybe at the end of Super Bowl XLIII.) But if someone gave it to me I wouldn't be offended. I can even see me re-gifting it to a parent of a toddler who I think would appreciate the message. This book could be one of those things that makes the rounds among friends. Like a fruit cake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
ummmm....chocolate please.
EUREKA. Problem solved.

Natural chocolate soap handmade by Herbaria

Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I had not heard of this book until today, so maybe I am behind the times.

"Go the F*** to Sleep" not funny - CNN.com

What do you think? Do you agree with Zacharias, who says:

I do have to object with her next sentence, which is:

To me, that's just schmaltz. I grew up reading fairy tales, among other books, and I still have all the collections I had when I was a kid. I'm sure many people have read the Brothers Grimm and their grisly tales, which only resemble the happy Disney movies we all have watched. Villains were always being rolled downhill in barrels full of spikes or thrown into pits of vipers. Earlier Cinderella stories do not end happily for the stepsisters, whose eyes are picked out by birds.

What do you think about this book? Hilarious and satirical or vulgar and unfunny? What do you think about Zacharias's statement (in the video) that, "I'll admit that I don't understand the level of frustration that would propel a parent, any parent, to think in that terminology toward children. ... I think that there's a coarseness in our society today that has reached a level of just unprecedented coarseness"?
Haven't read the book or the article yet, so I'll just comment on the general topic you've laid out:

Nursery rhymes have been cruel, sadistic, torturous, macabre, dark, and basically freakish for centuries. Consider:

Peter Peter pumpkin eater
Had a wife and couldn't keep her
Put her in a pumpkin shell
and there he kept her very well.

Moral: encourages men to bury their wives alive.

And:
Rockabye baby on the tree top
when the wind blows the cradle will rock
when the bough breaks the cradle will fall
and down will come baby cradle and all

Moral: sadism against infants is fun.

How about Red Riding Hood, which has overtones of sexual abuse and women, helpless victims, as romantic figures.

Or Three Little Pigs, depicting more victimization by bullies who get away with the deed and are only stopped by someone stronger than they are.

We have been brought up on these tales and poems, our religions are rife with stories of violation of the absolute worst kind (oh hai i'm god u gots plague + fire + gnats + i kill ur 1st born til u let teh hebrews go lolol).

Personally, I find vulgarities to be vulgar, and totally not necessary to teach children. However, I find the whole idea of forbidding vulgarity hypocritical, considering the kind of "morality" contained in Mother Goose, Brothers Grimm, and most of the fairy tales (ugly women are evil, pretty women are good - let's REALLY drive that home with Cinderella and Snow White, hmm?)

Edited to add: I swear like a truckdriver, in several different languages including greek, yiddish, spanish, english, and french. I still don't use the words/phrases in front of children. It just isn't necessary.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I got it for my wife for her birthday, we both got a good laugh and passed it around the table to the grandparents and other people who all thought it was hysterical. Anyone who says they never had such thoughts cross their mind while raising a determined toddler is lying.

It's very tongue-in-cheek and written to be the internal thoughts of the father as he proceeds to go through the machinations of putting his child to sleep in a very "good" parent way. Sorry to say Zacharia, but even the best of us get flustered and frustrated and think those kinds of things when we are stumbling around sleep deprived just wanting a few minutes to spend with our significant other by ourselves.

My favorite part was the beeping microwave...been there, done that.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
You don't need the actual book. Go to Youtube and listen to the audio version of Samuel L Jackson reading it, absolutely hilarious!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Hansel and Gretel, Anon. Children abandoned by their parents. Put into an iron cage by a cannibal witch who tries to pop them into the oven.

There's one I DID NOT read to my children.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:18 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hansel and Gretel, Anon. Children abandoned by their parents. Put into an iron cage by a cannibal witch who tries to pop them into the oven.

There's one I DID NOT read to my children.
Have you ever checked out the original German versions of some of the popular fairy tales?

They don't exactly have happy endings...you get the idea that they were designed to keep kids from wandering off the farm in Bavaria lest they be eaten by wolves.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Have you ever checked out the original German versions of some of the popular fairy tales?

They don't exactly have happy endings...you get the idea that they were designed to keep kids from wandering off the farm in Bavaria lest they be eaten by wolves.
Yes I have and you may have a point there!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

Excellent point - I've read the German, French and Russian version of a number of fairy tales - even worse than the Disney version in terms of life lessons and sheer level of gore.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I loved those stories - the one that always gave me nightmares though, was the part in the Wizard of Oz when the Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow diguise themselves and join with the soldiers. The whole Oh-Eee-Oh...Eee-oh-yo! thing. To this day, that scene gives me the heebiejeebies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting