Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:02 PM

992 posts, read 2,380,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
This is possible if one parent is working and the other stays home. But if both works or they're divorced, the elder sibling should help. Or food can all be made in the evening and then refridgerated. Like potato salad.
You've mentioned potato salad a few times. Potato salad, while very yummy, is not very healthy. Mayo, potatoes (starch)...yikes!

I would just like to add....that....I have 4 kids...all very healthy, and they all eat different things, and I've taught them to cook and they love to help prep. But if they don't want eggs for breakfast and want a bowl of oatmeal, it's not going to kill them.

Don't you worry...us parents, WE GOT THIS! We can feed our kids...and just for the record diet isn't the only thing we have to worry about in terms of health....why don't you get on to us about exercise too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,247,751 times
OP, I think you have too much time on your hands and just came here to see who you could provoke.

Quote:
I don't have kids. But I use to be a kid and don't think people should have kids if they're not gonna keep them fed.
Just like one shouldn't have a car if they're not going to keep gas in it.

Quote:
I think teaching kids to cook is more practical than division or human nature, they should already know those things or pick it up in school.
Your perception of this will change when you're a parent. You will learn that the classroom isn't just the four walls at school. Teaching cooking IS teaching division. I've taught my daughter many math lessons measuring out ingredients.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:10 PM

992 posts, read 2,380,548 times
Sarcasm is hard to pick up sometimes, eh?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,298,706 times
Me thinks the OP has some issues with his/her parent(s) and has latched onto convience cooking he grew up with as the root of all that is wrong with him/her now.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,495,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My poor little 3 yr old doesn't even get milk in her Cheerios, Just dry cereal a banana or strawberries and chocolate milk on the side.

That's funny, my DD won't eat cereal with milk in it either. This morning, she had a bowl of dry Cherrios with the milk on the side! I'm such a BAD parent! Call the child abuse hotline and save my child from a life of Cherrios for breakfast!

OP, find some business of your own to worry about.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:45 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,062,940 times
Quote:
well weekends, holidays and summer which is right now they don't have school lunches. And what's wrong with midnight snacks? U can make a graham-cracker tomoto sandwich, or something.
A graham cracker tomato sandwich? Yuck!

I do not cook three times a day. There are many days where I don't even make one meal. My kids are perfectly capable of feeding themselves. I just stock the refrigerator and the pantry.

What I don't do, is buy fast food. Never did, never will. I hate it, and won't pay for it. Pizza is not fast food, and a wisely chosen pizza is a thing of beauty.

Cereal isn't just for breakfast either. But, it is frequently a healthier choice than waffles, pancakes or egg dishes. I'm healthy,my kids are healthy, and I couldn't care less about those who think I'm somehow harming them by not cooking.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,691,841 times
first i have to buy clothes for my kids... now i have to feed them TOO????

oh jimminey cricket!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 PM

497 posts, read 1,697,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Typical 10-year-old-Anon's dietary habits, courtesy of mom:

Morning: either cream of wheat with lots of brown sugar
or 1 raisin scone with lots of butter
or 2 frosted apple poptarts
plus orange juice

Lunch: bologna sandwich on Wonder Bread, orange segments with the white stringy things peeled off, chocolate milk, 4 cookies

Dinner: beef stroganoff, salad, a coke, piece of experimental chocolate cake mom made by rinsing and de-vinegarizing saeurkraut.
or
Pastrami and swiss on grilled rye with cole slaw, and a coke.
or
Meatloaf with mashed potatos and lots of ketchup, a salad, and a coke.

I didn't get overweight til I was in my 40's.
Do you have any leftovers???

Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,293,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh NOOOOOO, if I recall correctly, there was a thread on here about parents who did just that. Went to school with a freshly-cooked meal in their hands and SAT WITH THEIR KID in the cafeteria while they ate!

I think it was on CD, anyway.
It was. Someone was cooking a 3-course meal and taking it to her kid at lunch every day.

Quote:
I don't have kids. But I use to be a kid and don't think people should have kids if they're not gonna keep them fed.
well, there you go.

On weekdays the kids have hot or cold cereal for breakfast, almost always organic and/or without artificial coloring, 1% milk and some banana.

On Saturdays DH COOKS pancakes. Least healthy breakfast of the week, and the only one that is "cooked."

ETA my kids are skinny. One is 50th %ile height, 35th weight +/-. The other is 75th height and 50th weight. We're doing fine without input from a 24 year old non-parent, thanks.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:51 PM

497 posts, read 1,697,349 times
I'm 23 with no kids and cereal worked just great for me. Of course my parents did make me hot breakfast sometimes but I prefered Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Crispies, Apple Jacks, etc and I still do! Lol. I'm not overweight or underweight. Shame on all of you parents who don't cook three meals a day for your kids! What's wrong with you!?! This is exactly why I'm a cereal addict to this day! Shame on you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting