Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I honestly can't imagine being upset over this. It's not like some house guest cleaned out your fridge. In our home, the kitchen and everything in it is for the entire family's benefit. There is no mine and that includes leftovers.
I think some of us feel kind of sick and tired of mom's stuff being public property while dad's is off limits. That is how it is in a lot of families I know, both IRL and online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,228 times
eating someone else's leftovers is a respect thing, when i was a child, unless it was offered, i didnt touch someone elses leftovers nor ask for it unless it had been about 3 days and it was about to go bad anyway, and if the answer was no, it was no, and i found the bologna and bread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 PM

500 posts, read 748,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How old are you all? I am 45 and my parents let us eat whenever we wanted to eat.
I'm 49 and never had this kind of restriction about food, either. My mother is 71 and I'm sure she did not as well. It's not to say we ate continuously or were obese but we grew up with a sense of openess and security about such things. However, in my father's family there were all sorts of strange rules about eating and so-forth (definitely part of a larger picture, believe me). It would really shock my mother because she had never heard of food being dealt with this way.

One could argue the over-restrictive way could more easily lead to food issues and obesity. I don't think it's as much about how it was done in the past as it is how some families are when it comes to food and other issues. I'm sure there are young people repeating their parent's ways because it's all they know.

FWIW I hate restaurant leftovers, never take them, so not an issue here either!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
You're obviously missing the point.

No I'm not. It's her food and she doesn't want her kids eating it because she wants it later. I think the kids should ask and if she says no then they should respect that. I just don't understand a parent telling a child that you can't eat what I have.

She even went on to say that she purchased a smaller meals so that they won't have anything of hers to eat when they got home and this is being petty. I can understand ordering smaller portions because you cant eat a lot, but to complain about your kids eating leftovers in the fridge is wrong.

It's not like a stranger walks into you home and takes your food. These are family members who you are talking about.

Like I said, maybe I look at it different because I'm from New Orleans and we love to feed people, even strangers. You can be a complete stranger walking from a mardi gras parade or a festival and walk past a family having a party and they will invite you in to eat and drink. Some will even get mad if you don't eat. We are just like that so it's hard to understand not letting your family eat what's in the fridge.

busta

Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,433 times
There's a bigger issue at play here. There's a serious lack of respect here. I don't understand why your kids think that this is ok to do. You shouldn't have to freeze your food or order an appetizer out of fear of your leftovers being eaten. Sure, there have been some really good suggestion in this thread, but I fear that all you're going to do is win THIS battle. Your war with your kids is far from over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting