Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 PM

13,433 posts, read 9,965,862 times

Advertisements

Here's how it goes in my little family - anything in the fridge is fair game, unless I'm keeping it especially to make something, like strawberries for ice cream. Everything that's bought home from a restaurant is available to be eaten, BUT, if you're going to eat the whole thing, like the last two pieces of brought home pizza, you ask if anyone wants to share it with you before you polish it off.

So you would go to the fridge and announce that you are planning on eating the last two pieces of pizza and would anyone like to have any before it's gone. Just in case someone had their heart set on it and you weren't aware. Then if they want it too, you share it.

We don't just take what we want without either leaving some or asking if it's ok, and if someone does happen to eat the last piece we get over it and don't sulk about and act like martyrs. Martyrdom is not a recognized state around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,944,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I hate to be blunt, but your family has disfunction that cannot be solved online. From your posts, everyone in the household contributes to the disfunction. Until y'all want a functional family and are willing to work for it, y'all are doomed to the merry-go-round that is your homelife.

BTW, it is not petty to want your own leftovers, it is petty to leave any left overs on the table just so your kids can't have them.
Rep times 100 for this post - you've said it all right here!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM

13,433 posts, read 9,965,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Two things trouble me about this post. Firstly my children respect me (at least now) and would not take anything of mine without asking, and I would not take anything of theirs. More importantly, it is very rare to find parents that don't choose to put their children first, often to a fault. If my children even hinted that they wanted my food, I'm sure I would give it to them. Isn't that what most parents do?
I think I understand what Zimbochick is saying, regarding most parents.

The real issue of course, is that it sounds as if these kids have no manners, and little empathy for others. As to why that is, I'm not going to speculate.

It seems as if that is at the root of most of the OP's problems with these kids. That and an underlying "poor me" tone that does not inspire respect from others in the first place.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Martyrdom is not a recognized state around here.
Oh my goodness, I love this.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:58 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,233,247 times
Who's the parent and who's the child? No means no! You shouldn't have to freeze your leftovers or only order an appetizer. If it's something you truly want later, than tell your kids it's off limits to them and offer something else for them. Do you think maybe your kids are eating your leftovers just to get on your nerves because they know it upsets you and they know they can get away w/ it? It sounds like a total control issue, and you're on the loosing end.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
It is more about respect than food. And a subtle passive aggressive issue that the OP has. I am not passive aggressive towards my kids, I think that is the issue most of us have with this whole dynamic.

I am so lucky to have my youngest son, he is "chef extra" he can whip up a gourmet meal with pasta, bacon, cheese, and green onions that is to die for. He adds olives, sun dried tomatoes, artichokes..whatever there is...he does not even eat leftovers, he is far too fussy for that. He is my private chef, I was sad when he moved out...

Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is more about respect than food.
That's exactly what it is. And I suspect it comes from both sides.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,584,355 times
The problem is not so much that you want to save the leftovers for yourself (reasonable), the problem is that instead of addressing this like the mom, you are behaving like a passive-aggressive child, and that does not command the respect of anyone, least of all your own children. A good mom does not triumph in a moment of satisfaction and say "hee hee" when her hungry kids don't find anything in the fridge. A good mom does not leave leftovers to go to waste on the table just so she can grin at her hungry teenagers later and stick her tongue out like a little brat. That's what you should feel guilty about, not the fact that you eat slowly.

Address this like the mom. You tell them you are saving this for later and want it. If they refuse to honor your request, you hand out reasonable consequences appropriately. But if instead of acting like an adult, you choose to play petty games, ordering only an appetizer so you can smirk at them when they're hungry and empty handed later? Well, that right there is your answer. If you act like a conniving little child yourself, it's no wonder that no one respects you as an authority figure in the household. You've done nothing that deserves respect.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:41 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,875,336 times
None of this is even about food. It's about the OP being bored and concocting something to "talk" about.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,797 times
Typical Marylee post, who's the parent you or your *awfulawfulawful* children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting