Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 AM

378 posts, read 578,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Saying "I'm just not comfortable with my kids playing with children of other faiths" is not against TOS. Nobody would be afraid to say that.

You asked a question. People will answer it honestly here.

Your disbelief reminds me of hypochondriasis, when patients are don't believe their doctors saying there is nothing wrong with them, they are healthy.

I'm sorry you're disappointed thread isn't turning out as you hoped. I personally am excited by the posts in this thread.

As I suspected, people who are making it into the news by trashing people of other faiths are the loud minority in the country.
More like, a parent who would say that might also say something else, eventually, that could be considered hateful. Since this site's TOS makes it clear hate-speech gets you banned, there is a trend towards removal of that opinion.
The opinions expressed in this thread are only valid for this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,511,310 times
I think truly hateful, bigoted people (to the extent you describe) are in the minority. I've never actually run into one. I don't doubt they exist but I think it's rare.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Yes, religious hate is a problem in our country. That can't be denied. But those haters are a small percentage of the population.

If you want to be miserable believing the sky is falling, go ahead, but don't accuse people of being liars here.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 AM

I didn't accuse anyone. I said the people who do hate are more likely to be banned from CD so any result will be skewered.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,592,719 times
I don't think anyone here is afraid of being honest. There are a number of posters here that are very devout in their faith, and I imagine this issue is one they have given considerable thought to. As for your assertion that anyone who would choose not to have their children around those of a different faith could be called hate, I strongly disagree. I would call it insulation, or intolerance perhaps. People happily spread hate in P&OC without getting banned, so...

Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
I didn't accuse anyone. I said the people who do hate are more likely to be banned from CD so any result will be skewered.
What Hopes and Zimbo said. I will especially lift up Zimbo's comments about the Politics forum. Even on the state/city forums, people talk about not wanting to live near certain racial/ethnic groups. It takes a lot to get one banned for that kind of talk.

I think the thread title is kind of trollish. Even when I was a kid, heck, even when my mom was a kid (from stories she told me), kids played with other kids w/o regard to religion. I suppose if you lived in some sort of a religious commune your kids would only be exposed to kids of the same religion, but then it wouldn't be a problem, would it?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-16-2011 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
Some parents do. Some parents wont mix race too.
I can tell you that my DH and I are very conservative (in our religious values) Christians. I'm a Boomer. I grew up with and have known very conservative Christians my whole life. People who make me look like a flaming liberal. None of them have ever stopped their children from playing with any other child because of race, religon, creed or national origin. I've never even heard of it "through the grapevine". And this is in various parts of the U.S. by the way.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM

157 posts, read 141,196 times
Quote:
I think that has to do with the TOS. Hate towards other groups gets you banned.
Quote:
More like, a parent who would say that might also say something else, eventually, that could be considered hateful. Since this site's TOS makes it clear hate-speech gets you banned, there is a trend towards removal of that opinion.
The opinions expressed in this thread are only valid for this forum.
You must have expected something else when you posted this thread. You sound disappointed that people aren't professing some kind of dreadful hatred toward a particular group, maybe Muslims?

Children are innocent beings. They are indoctrinated into the religion of their family as they grow, usually. They are not born with a preference for a particular religion.

I grew up Methodist. My cousins were Catholic. When we were at their house on a Friday night, we didn't eat meat. We thought it was cool and interesting that some of what they did was different than what we did.

My sister's kids grew up next door to a Jewish girl. They played all day, every day with her. My neices and nephews gave her gifts for her holidays, and she gave them gifts for theirs. She went to their house to share Christmas, and they went to hers to taste all special foods her mother prepared for their holidays.

You're looking for trouble where there isn't any.

It's a healthy thing for kids to grow up with open minds, even when they discover they have different beliefs than their parents.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,692,271 times
I WANT my kids to be exposed to people of different races, ethnicities and religions. I feel it is important in helping to make them well rounded individuals. I'm Jewish,many of there friends are Catholic. My oldest sons best friend is a Buddhist from Cambodia. One of my daughters best friends is a Muslim boy from Pakistan.When we lived in San Diego, they had Muslim and Hindu friends. It's all good
If you are secure in the beliefs that you teach your kids, exposure to different people shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
You must have expected something else when you posted this thread. You sound disappointed that people aren't professing some kind of dreadful hatred toward a particular group, maybe Muslims?

Children are innocent beings. They are indoctrinated into the religion of their family as they grow, usually. They are not born with a preference for a particular religion.

I grew up Methodist. My cousins were Catholic. When we were at their house on a Friday night, we didn't eat meat. We thought it was cool and interesting that some of what they did was different than what we did.

My sister's kids grew up next door to a Jewish girl. They played all day, every day with her. My neices and nephews gave her gifts for her holidays, and she gave them gifts for theirs. She went to their house to share Christmas, and they went to hers to taste all special foods her mother prepared for their holidays.

You're looking for trouble where there isn't any.

It's a healthy thing for kids to grow up with open minds, even when they discover they have different beliefs than their parents.
Half true, but this thread isn't an attempt at trolling. There are people in the U.S. with extremely strong opinions. There is even a Jesus Camp with ten year old boys who were saved. I would expect a discussion between a few people here who believe they shouldn't let their kids play with other religions and those who disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting