Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,051 times

Advertisements

Hi

I grew up in another country and am not sure what I should do in this situation, your suggestions/advices are welcomed.

We live in a community with a lot of kids. Naturally,the kids form groups base on age/parents' relationship etc. I work full time and my kid goes to a full-day care, as a result, we don't spend much time outside after the long days and don't have close relationships with most neighbors. Today neighbor's kids (brother (8 yr-old)/sister(5 yr-old) and their friends from other community) played with my playset in my yard (without asking me first to start with) Nonetheless I encouraged my son who is 5 and on the shy side to go outside and join them. All seemed alright at first, then they started to shoo him away, my son was still excited to play with them and was trying to start conversations without much responses. Then those kids went back to their house, my son followed them and they won't let him in the house. My son's feelings were hurt and I am not sure what's the best way to comfort him. I told him he could play with another neighbor's kid who is much nicer and around my son's age but my son insisted that he loved to play with these kids today. It was so sad to see him wander outside neighbor's door waiting for those kids to come out. i know there's no way to block mean kids, how can I teach my son to be stronger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
get to know the parents. invite them over for a bbq so the kids can play.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
It's a tough one. In a previous neighborhood we had a lot of kids but none of the boys were my son's age, and only one girl was. The boys always treated my son like a baby and wouldn't play with him. He didn't want to play dress up with the girls. He was always so sad that the boys wouldn't let him play.
I just "imported" friends for my son. I arranged a play date every weekend for a few hours and any day that I had off of work and could spend a few hours entertaining another child. It worked out well because those kids parents would also invite my son over and it would give me a few hours of alone time.
I would ask the neighbor parents to please not allow their kids to play on your swing set without permission. Tell them it's just a liability thing. If they ask for permission, tell them that they are welcomed to play on your swing set if they will allow your son to play as well. Force yourself to get out more and meet the neighbors. As you get to know them better it will help your son.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
whoa! why are these kids using your yard without your permission and to top it off, wont let the owner of the play set (your son) in on the fun??
these parents need to be told what is going on. i know they would not appreciate someone doing that to them.

this is why i have a fence around my yard....

Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
You need to set the parents straight about them using your playset w/o your knowledge or permission NOW. Summertime is coming and I assume you'll be working all summer and no one will be home. If one of them get hurt, guess whose insurance is going to be responsible?

I know you're busy with work and stuff but maybe now with the nicer weather, you can get to know some of your neighbors, invite them over, etc. It would be great for your son to have friends to play with on the block.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
I agree with what has been posted so far and I wanted to add: I do not let my child play with older kids. He can only play with kids his own age. I mostly arrange playdates for him b/c I have a 12 year old son who has friends over and even then, my 7 yo. is not allowed to hang around with his brother and his friends. Trust me you don't want your 5 y.o. playing with an 8 y.o. kid.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM

141 posts, read 428,049 times
1.) It is totally unacceptable those kids played in your yard without your permission - where's their parents? Next time they are in your yard, I would ask them that, and talk to the parents. Introduce yourself and your son, say that you'd like to get to know your neighbors better, and let them know those kids need to ask permission as it is your yard.
2.) A 5 year old boy probably isn't going to have much fun with a 5 year old girl and the 8 year old probably sees your son as a "baby" because of the age difference

I would focus more on arranging playdates with kids from daycare.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Kids can figure out how to play without parents getting involved. Or, at least, they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting