Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,281,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

I was assured the teachers/staff who witnessed these events 'loved her' and were doing everything they could to protect her. rkb ~Don't believe the administrators or teachers who claim they are handling it - most school districts have a 'no tolerance' bully policy, officially. The administrators do not report it or really write it down in order to protect their school standings. If you didn't sign some type of incident report, with the principal's signature on it and weren't given a copy of the report, it wasn't reported. Start your own paper trail - using email or the postal system. Make sure to cc at least one level above the person you are writing to - and let them know that the purpose of your letter is to make sure there IS a paper trail, in case the incidents continue or escalate. Because if it does escalate, and you didn't follow up to ensure there was a paper trail - it will be put on YOU for not being proactive.
thanks for the advice. My son brought home an apology note from the bully. I have that in writing, and have also started my own log of incidents. I have an appointment with the principal next week, so I'll follow up with him then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
thanks for the advice. My son brought home an apology note from the bully. I have that in writing, and have also started my own log of incidents. I have an appointment with the principal next week, so I'll follow up with him then.
I know this is Calgirl's thread but I don't think she'll mind the detour:

Keep the note!! It's an admission of wrongdoing. Little nugget of gold. You also got something handed to you on a platter.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,018,983 times
Have you spoken with the parents?? Make sure you get the Principal to put together a meeting with both children, the parents and the Principal/Vice Principal. Bullying is NOT tolerated these days. No matter if Private or Public!!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:27 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,466,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I know I have anger issues but I can just picture myself walking up to that 8 yo bully and hitting him if he hit my child. Yeah I know not the way to go. LOL
Couldn't help it but you have an ardent supporter for your "anger issues" here. Maybe I have issues too!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 PM

378 posts, read 578,803 times
Any updates?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,892,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The boy's mother was there the whole time.

I was seething at her and I wanted to go up to her and tell her in no uncertain terms that if her kid touches mine again I will sue the pants off her.

But I did not. I did not think it would help the situation. I am relying on the legal notice instead.

But I regret that I did not tell her off. I really wanted to.

If I were her, I would have apologized. What a you-know-what.
I think it just makes sense to talk to the parents before you call the police on them. Making it a legal matter without at least discussing it first almost seems like bullying.

I agree that parents need to get involved when abuse is physical, although I doubt there's a boy anywhere who made it all the way to adulthood without at least a couple of punches somewhere along the line.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 AM

9,549 posts, read 7,115,424 times
Default Another Update

So I wrote a letter to the school stating what had happened and that I wanted my son to be separated from the bully and supervised, and that if he was physically bullied again I would be withdrawing him and requesting a refund of the remaining tuition.

Now they are calling me in saying maybe it is not a good fit for them. His last parent-teacher conference went perfectly, his work is excellent, he is not a behavior problem.

I don't get it.

MY son is not the one going around hitting other kids. Why don't they kick the bully out?

Can they even do that?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,281,670 times
Quote:
So I wrote a letter to the school stating what had happened and that I wanted my son to be separated from the bully and supervised, and that if he was physically bullied again I would be withdrawing him and requesting a refund of the remaining tuition.

Now they are calling me in saying maybe it is not a good fit for them. His last parent-teacher conference went perfectly, his work is excellent, he is not a behavior problem.

I don't get it.

MY son is not the one going around hitting other kids. Why don't they kick the bully out?

Can they even do that?
although I don't agree, they can do whatever they want. It is a private school.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,892,167 times
Quote:

I don't get it.

Can they even do that?
What does your son want? Would he be happier in another school? If he wants to stay there, maybe you could try another approach and instead of trying to get that other kid kicked out, sit the boys down with all the parents and discuss everything that happened.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 AM

9,549 posts, read 7,115,424 times
For the record, I am not trying to get the bully kicked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting