Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times

Advertisements

Kiddie drinks are tough. We spend a lot of time out and about, so drinks at home and out are different. At home it's water, milk, or milk with ovaltine. DD likes orange juice, and I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with sprite zero. Occasionally diet soda like root beer, but not often. We make smoothies quite a bit too - ice, f/f yogurt, and whatever fruit.

Out it's water, and sometimes in restaurants chocolate milk.

At school in lunchboxes it's water, chocolate or vanilla milk boxes (either Kirkland or Horizon) Fruit2O (fruit flavored water) that Costco sells, or fruitables boxes.

The kids do ask for fruit juice now and again, and we buy it, but very seldom. I also make frozen popsicles out of fruit juice, especially OJ, and their fave is to use the Trader Joes Mango Smoothie for popsicles. Yummy!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Coop - have you tried Amazon? They have actual consumer reviews...I find those helpful and up to date WRT model number etc....
I think that's what I'm going to do.

I was contemplating getting an attachment for my mixer, but I still need a blade, so that's ruled out.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
MM Is today your birthday? I know you have your dinner tonight. Have fun!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
While we're on the subject of snacks - what do you guys give your kids to drink? MissFR has totally caught on to the juice flavored water trick and now wants to drink her juice straight up, which I don't like, because it's full of sugar. She drinks water but who wants to drink that all day - a bit boring.

What can I give her that's not juice? I'm kinda racking my brain here.
We pretty much stick with juice, milk, and water. When we're out they sometimes drink lemonade. Fortunately they don't like carbonated drinks, so no soda yet. I'd like to postpone that as long as possible.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
MM Is today your birthday? I know you have your dinner tonight. Have fun!

No...birthday is tomorrow...but yes,dinner out is tonight. Looking forward to it - this is my gang that gets together from time to time. We all got to know each other when our boys were playing sports together....and even though our kids don't "hang" together too much any more (different schools, different groups etc) we get together every now and then (birthdays for sure) and catch up....It did put a smile on my face though - I went on facebook last night and saw all the birthday wishes to DS...some of those boys were from long ago teams...the names brought back lots of memories....

Can't remember too much about beverages when they were young - we are big water drinkers here (and unsweetened, decaf iced tea)....although DS still loves those chocolate milk boxes....which I buy from time to time at Costco...DH is the soda drinker around here...kids will drink it occasionally and I will buy it to have around mainly so when friends come over there is something "cool" to have around....

Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Hope you have a terrific time MM! I'm so glad you are able to keep in contact like that.

Here's hoping for a good game tonight. I'll report in tomorrow on how Mr. Quinn looked. (Who cares about how he plays, lol.) Good luck to both our teams! I think Whiz is going to keep his 1st string in through the 3rd quarter. Let's hope it's an injury-free game.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM

My home town was just ranked the least liveable city in the world....even falling behind cities in Libya and Iraq. How depressing is that?

Liveability Ranking August 2011 - Economist Intelligence Unit

Old 09-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My home town was just ranked the least liveable city in the world....even falling behind cities in Libya and Iraq. How depressing is that?
Considering what your country has gone through, Zim, I'm just glad you're here!

BTW: Are you a fan of the Battlefield Band? DH got us tickets to see them in a couple of months when they come through town. He's a HUGE fan of theirs. I need to find something in "Scottish Cool" to wear.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
Ok. If I share the drinks I give DD, I will get another "Bad Mommy" smack from all of the good parents out there.

We go through a lot of Hawaiian Punch (really cheap), water, milk, some juice, and a lot of Crystal light. We also use Mio quite a bit to change up the water. The crystal light is made in 2.5 gallon batches and is in a container with a spout so it is really easy for DD to get.

It is hard to find healthy drinks.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks Dew!

Ooh, yes, love Celtic music, and they are great. I love it when they play their duelling fiddles.

As for an outfit, hmmmm. Their is a company called Utilikilts in Seattle who make contemporary kilts. A friend of ours wears nothing but kilts, says it very airy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.