Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No idea - I've always wondered that too...what is a "contact" exactly?
I don't know, but also wondered.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
I just found this in small print at the bottom of the Friends and Contacts tab:

Contacts - someone you put on your buddy/contact list, is not reciprocal.

Friends - someone who requests to be on your friends list, or you invite, and is reciprocal.

Sounds like friends is more like fb friends - where you need to have both parties agreeing?? But who knows, I can't even get my quotes to post right right now!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Contacts - someone you put on your buddy/contact list, is not reciprocal.
That just seems sad.... a buddy who doesn't want to be buddies back.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,585 times
Is it something on CD or just in general?

A friend is someone who I share everything well mostly everything with. A contact is just someone who I have randomly met in some sort of business or through another friend who may play a role in your life for self gain purposes.

I have a question for you ladies:

I have an elderly woman who lives on my block. She is very sweet but at times she can chat your ear off. Lately though in the very hot weather we have while I am walking to preschool, she will happen to be walking her dog. She will immediately stop me and start chatting. I tell her I must be off before the sun is high enough to become to hot to walk and I have to be at the school by 8.25 but she is adamant in telling me all the coming and going on our block. I tell her I will speak with her later in the evening but she continues on and on ignoring me and then focusing on Toddler X getting him wound up. I say goodbye to excuse myself but she will continue. So I have started to walk away from her for her to get the hint. Now I have to curtain twitch in the morning to see if she is out there and sometimes she will wait across the street for my door to open so she can talk to me. She is not senile and I know she does get a little lonely but she has plenty of friends that visit with her through out the day.

Then this afternoon a neighbor told me that the woman told her that I was rude because I do not stop and talk with her for a half an hour when I leave in the morning. It really got my back up! I do not know what to do.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
That just seems sad.... a buddy who doesn't want to be buddies back.
Ha - yeah, I thought so too - kind of like that peering over the fence at the other kids playing thing, y'know?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post

I have an elderly woman who lives on my block. She is very sweet but at times she can chat your ear off. Lately though in the very hot weather we have while I am walking to preschool, she will happen to be walking her dog. She will immediately stop me and start chatting. I tell her I must be off before the sun is high enough to become to hot to walk and I have to be at the school by 8.25 but she is adamant in telling me all the coming and going on our block. I tell her I will speak with her later in the evening but she continues on and on ignoring me and then focusing on Toddler X getting him wound up. I say goodbye to excuse myself but she will continue. So I have started to walk away from her for her to get the hint. Now I have to curtain twitch in the morning to see if she is out there and sometimes she will wait across the street for my door to open so she can talk to me. She is not senile and I know she does get a little lonely but she has plenty of friends that visit with her through out the day.

Then this afternoon a neighbor told me that the woman told her that I was rude because I do not stop and talk with her for a half an hour when I leave in the morning. It really got my back up! I do not know what to do.
Hmm, this is a rough one - I have a neighbor like this, too, who kind of stalks our house waiting for me to come chat with her about the neighborhood gossip. She actually wandered right into our back yard while we were in the pool a few weeks ago!

I don't have any good solutions. Depending on whether you'd want to do this or not, maybe inviting her over for iced tea or something when you get back or later in the day? Although it sounds like you're already trying a variation of this. It's hard not to feel like you're being abrupt when you're in a hurry and the other person isn't picking up on the cue! FWIW, I'm sure all the neighbors have been in this position with her at one time or another, but it would irritate me too to know she'd called me rude to another neighbor. Although now that I think on it, mine probably has said that already...

Sorry I can't be more helpful!! Good luck!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:42 PM

The neighbor who told me this has the same problem with her as well. She always gets him as soon as he comes home from work. He usually is out in the driveway tossing his kids bikes into the garage because they left them on the driveway. Today he came home early and she happened to be at the mailbox when he was getting his mail. She started harping on about me and asking him why do you think she doesn't want to talk to me? Its only a half an hour out of her day before the little one goes to school. She was rude to walk away. He told her You know she is pregnant and doesn't have a car. It probably takes her a half an hour to walk to the school. And the woman told him I know she is pregnant and I told you about it. I just do not understand why no one has time to talk to me. He started to walk away and she managed to tell him Well maybe you should drive her to the school so she has time to talk to me before she goes!

So he came over to ask me if I need assistance in the morning. I told him no that he should not have been bullied by her and I got upset that she would even corner this man who I barely know about me being rude and then telling him he should drive me!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
The neighbor who told me this has the same problem with her as well. She always gets him as soon as he comes home from work. He usually is out in the driveway tossing his kids bikes into the garage because they left them on the driveway. Today he came home early and she happened to be at the mailbox when he was getting his mail. She started harping on about me and asking him why do you think she doesn't want to talk to me? Its only a half an hour out of her day before the little one goes to school. She was rude to walk away. He told her You know she is pregnant and doesn't have a car. It probably takes her a half an hour to walk to the school. And the woman told him I know she is pregnant and I told you about it. I just do not understand why no one has time to talk to me. He started to walk away and she managed to tell him Well maybe you should drive her to the school so she has time to talk to me before she goes!

So he came over to ask me if I need assistance in the morning. I told him no that he should not have been bullied by her and I got upset that she would even corner this man who I barely know about me being rude and then telling him he should drive me!
Oh man! She does sound very lonely but I'd be mad too! I'm sure she just doesn't remember what it's like to have all of the obligations and things going on that you have. BTW, your other neighbor sounds nice! Would it be worth having a chat with her about it or do you think it would be better just to ignore it until the car situation resolves itself?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
MrsX - If you explain that you are in a hurry, but you'd love to continue the chat if perhaps she'd like to walk with you? She'll no doubt say no (hopefully), but then it's on her not you.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Oh man! She does sound very lonely but I'd be mad too! I'm sure she just doesn't remember what it's like to have all of the obligations and things going on that you have. BTW, your other neighbor sounds nice! Would it be worth having a chat with her about it or do you think it would be better just to ignore it until the car situation resolves itself?
His schedule and wifes schedule varies so it would be no use. I did thank him though. But we are working on it anyway. It was weird because I never really met him until today. We only said hi in passing like if Mr. X is watering the flowers and he jogs by with his wife and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting