Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,505,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Home at last! I think Colorado is my new favorite state- MM, jk and rkb, you are all so lucky to live in such a lovely state! So pretty, lots to do (at least in Aspen, where we were) and the people were very friendly. The lack of humidity was nice as well

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Glad you had a good time - we love it here. Don't get to the mountains too much though - traffic on I-70 can be bad and takes the fun out of it for me. DH and I were just talking about going somewhere for a weekend that didn't involve a super long drive or I-70....still thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
No, musical with lots of women in lingerie and Daniel Day Lewis sleeping with them all. Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman... I think the one you are talking about might have been called "The Nine."
whoops...oh yeah.... I do remember seeing some commercials for that and I think you're right the TV show was The Nine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
mm - how are you watching Dexter? My son watched season one on netflix streaming but then after that it required the cd - he loved that show but hasn't watched it since I don't think.

And I have to say - that if that picture of Johnny Depp turns out to be the jacket - omg. What did you google? Because I tried finding it too!
jk - got the whole season of CDs at the library - free! You can go online and check out what they have and reserve it if it's not available and they'll give you a call/email when it comes in. That's service!

And include "western" and "vintage" in your google search, and look for images only....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
To quote Granny Aconite (who probably didn't originate it, but who gave it a certain Appalachian je ne sais quoi): "You know where to find sympathy? In the dictionary, between s*it and syphilis."

ROFL! Love it, I may have to stash that nugget away for future use.

Morning all! I have tons I should do today. I was busy last weekend so should spend today catching up. I really need to do yardwork. It's been so hot I've been avoiding the yard most of the summer - which is a bummer since I really do like our yard for the most part. I'm ready for fall. I was just telling DH it was too bad his busy season at work was in the fall. That is the best time to go anywhere here IMO. That little trip DS and I took last fall - I know DH would LOVE it but it's just a time of year he most likely can't get any time away. Especially now that someone quit and they are again, shorthanded and still taking on more work. Yikes. I guess there's job security (of sorts anyway) in those situations but tons of stress to go with it.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-13-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's quite a contradiction, huh? Since my son is turning agoraphobic, I can understand why she volunteered. People with these fears want more than anything to do the things they are afraid to do. They aren't antisocial recluses by choice. At the spur of the moment, they feel very capable, like when my son applied for and accepted the job down the hill from us. After they have time to think about it, they become outright terrified. I'm actually impressed that she still followed through and planned the festivities, even though she didn't join them herself.

Surgery is good reason to back out. Perhaps she truly didn't know how extensive it would be. I had to back out of some Lacrosse club position when I became weak with my B-12 deficiency. I had zero energy. I'm not talking just a little tired. I literally couldn't get out of bed. Heck, I fell asleep while standing and in the middle of talking. Very scary.. I'm sure some people who didn't know me well thought I was a slacker. Thank goodness many of the parents knew me for most of my life and knew it wasn't like me to just quit for no good reason.
of course surgery is a good reason to back out. It is also a good reason not to volunteer in the first place. There was something very odd about the enthusiasm with which she stepped up in the first place. It was over the top. the season hasn't started, and I've never met her in person. Maybe time will tell, but I honestly think she wanted the credit for stepping up, even though she couldn't actually do it. Either that or she's "off" mentally and couldn't quite grasp the timing or extent of the surgery and how it would affect her. honestly, something is very strange about how this all happened.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,589,910 times
Good Morning CD Moms Who Rock! How is everyone on this fine Saturday?

Here is my ongoing crisis, and let me add it is earthshattering, and very hard to read.........hairbrushes! DD has a hair fetish thingy. Always brushing her hair and any of her doll's hair (well those that have not been shorn ). We probably have an ongoing rotation of about 20 hairbrushes, but when I need one, nope, not a one. They are like the mystery of disappearing socks in our house. I had to do an early morning grocery store run yesterday looking like a cross between Medusa and Bob Marley. Of course that would be the day that every 2nd person in the store is someone I know.

Quote:
To quote Granny Aconite (who probably didn't originate it, but who gave it a certain Appalachian je ne sais quoi): "You know where to find sympathy? In the dictionary, between s*it and syphilis."
Bwahaha!

Txt - MOVE OUT!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 AM

MM- take anything other than I 70. Being relatively new here we often take the longer way to get somewhere and we've seen some beautiful scenery along the way.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,505,174 times
Quote:
MM- take anything other than I 70. Being relatively new here we often take the longer way to get somewhere and we've seen some beautiful scenery along the way.
Yeah, I know, we just need to actually find somewhere new to go. We get stuck in a rut. A dear friend had a condo in Silverthorne for the longest time and we used that a lot. Now he's moved to Steamboat - which I love but it's a long drive unless you have a long weekend, then there's the issue of what to do with the dog. The condo is dog-free (which I totally understand), but if we're going to be gone more than a couple of days, we need to board the dog and not just have someone come in and feed and let her out. Not to mention that now, she has meds that have to be given ... DH just thinks we ought to be able to up and go anywhere on a whim. He's not a planner and I get anxious if there is no plan so it gets difficult. We need a happy medium.

Well....you know what I mean....

Old 08-13-2011, 09:40 AM

I'm actually glad my husband got into off-roading. It gives us a reason to go somewhere. His car is 11 years old and has 100K miles on it so I don't really care that he modified the heck out of it. He picks trails to run that have something cool to see like a mountain pass or a ghost town. It gets us to places like Leadville and Crested Butte.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:37 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,205,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good Morning CD Moms Who Rock! How is everyone on this fine Saturday?

Here is my ongoing crisis, and let me add it is earthshattering, and very hard to read.........hairbrushes! DD has a hair fetish thingy. Always brushing her hair and any of her doll's hair (well those that have not been shorn ). We probably have an ongoing rotation of about 20 hairbrushes, but when I need one, nope, not a one. They are like the mystery of disappearing socks in our house. I had to do an early morning grocery store run yesterday looking like a cross between Medusa and Bob Marley. Of course that would be the day that every 2nd person in the store is someone I know.

Bwahaha!
Fortunately, Girlchild and I have different hair textures, so she won't use my hair stuff. Except conditioner, which she "borrows" from the shower and then forgets to put back.

And yes, the day I wear gym shorts and a ratty, holey tee to the grocery store is the day I run into three other parents from band, someone I barely know from my moms' group, and the science guy from coop I'd have a crush on if I weren't twenty years older and happily married.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,205,857 times
Quote:
I'm actually glad my husband got into off-roading. It gives us a reason to go somewhere. His car is 11 years old and has 100K miles on it so I don't really care that he modified the heck out of it. He picks trails to run that have something cool to see like a mountain pass or a ghost town. It gets us to places like Leadville and Crested Butte.
The flatlander in me would be shrieking everytime he left the road. Mountains didn't used to phase me, but after a bazillion years in Florida we went to Pittsburgh and the dropoffs on the side of the road had me a gibbering idiot. Colorado would probably kill me outright.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,589,910 times
Quote:
Fortunately, Girlchild and I have different hair textures, so she won't use my hair stuff. Except conditioner, which she "borrows" from the shower and then forgets to put back.

And yes, the day I wear gym shorts and a ratty, holey tee to the grocery store is the day I run into three other parents from band, someone I barely know from my moms' group, and the science guy from coop I'd have a crush on if I weren't twenty years older and happily married.
Haha! That reminded me of this incident. DD was born early, she was itty bitty, and was kept in the hospital for a while. A few days after we were home from the hospital I decided to head out for a few hours and pick up some preemie stuff. I also decided to hit a Starbucks while I was out. Anywho, I was wearing old holy sweats, barely brushed hair, still had my pregnant belly, leaky boobs, walking like I had just given birth, and as I'm standing in line this bloke start chatting me up. It was honestly one of the funniest and most bizarre things.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,096,043 times
Quote:
Easy roasted chicken directions:

RINSE AND REMOVE ICKY BITS (most important).
Slather with olive oil.
Sprinkle liberally (no political reference intended) with herbs. Garlic and ground rosemary is a good combo, and pretty cheap, or you can cheat and buy a package of mixed herbs from the grocery.
Throw into a roasting pan with olive-oil-coated carrots, onions, potatoes, all cut into "two bite" sizes.
Cook breast side down at about 375 until the legs look just a bit overdone and seem like they might want to fall off with only a little provocation.

Remove meat from bones, throw bones in soup pot with the tops of the carrots, some onion, and whatever else you have lying around. (Within reason; chocolate chips would be weird.)
Eat meat and veggies.
Simmer the stuff in the soup pot rest of the evening, occasionally skimming off frothy nasty stuff, and strain before going to bed. Place in refrigerator for future use, feeling virtuous.

Also, if you have a small family and don't care to be looking at chicken for days, use a fryer rather than a roaster. It'll cost a good bit less, and it's still going to taste like a chicken.
Thanks. We don't mind eating chicken for days on end. We usually eat the same two meals for dinner all week, so repetition isn't a problem for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting