Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM

13,668 posts, read 10,068,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
My friend was on Emmerdale Farms for around 20 years, so I wish they would show it here. They used to show Eastenders, but I haven't seen it on TV in years.
Jenny - I never got into Emmerdale Farm, or Coronation Street. I think they used to show EastEnders on more public TV stations, but apparently it's very expensive to put on and the audience is too small to justify it.

They took it off in LA a couple of years ago, and to my delight when we moved to Philly it was still on here. So I got my EastEnders fix back.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,979,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Holy carp Kathleen! Glad it wasn't worse, though I feel bad about your tree.
lol! I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to have an orange tree!

Glad you are okay Kathleen! I guess it's that time of year again, huh?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,696,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
lol! I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to have an orange tree!

Glad you are okay Kathleen! I guess it's that time of year again, huh?
Thanks. It's starting early this year. Tampa is known for the summer storms but I don't remember them starting in March!

Holy balls! A gust just came through while I was typing this that had to have been 60+ mph! Something tells me I may have lost another fence. Grrr.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,326,393 times
Whoa, Kathleen!

Stay safe!! Just the thought of tornados scares the crud out of me.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,696,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Whoa, Kathleen!

Stay safe!! Just the thought of tornados scares the crud out of me.
Thanks Dew. I think we will be ok. It seems more like a tropical storm than anything else. It would be a great day for Netflixing some movies but I can't tear myself from the Bay News 9 local news channel lol.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:35 PM

I've been through a couple of tornados in SoCal. (Yes, they have them there. In the winter there are even water spouts that come in off the Pacific. Which you actually may know since you lived there.) But "small" ones. Trees knocked over. Stuff blown around. Probably the force of a real strong Santa Ana wind in CA.

I spent a lot of summers in Michigan and every time the tornado alerts came on, I'm sorry but I went into the basement. Earthquakes, brush fires, mud slides I can handle. Tornados, no. (Too much Wizard of Oz when I was a kid?)

During natural disasters in SoCal our TV stayed on 24/7. I always wanted to know where we stood on things.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,388,453 times
I should be ashamed to tell you this but I'm not!

Yesterday, my son was reminiscing about one of his old jobs.

Eventually he mentioned a new female manager who started there after he had worked for the restaurant for a year. She had moved here form the South.

He was mocking her accent and saying how much he hated her fake voice--sounding like she wanted to have sex all the time with people she hated.

(I know that's a very strange definition of her voice, but it is interesting that young men view that sickening sweet fake voice that way.)

When he said he couldn't stand how she would be mean to coworkers with a nice voice, I asked him if she ever said "bless your heart."

He said she did it once but it was "bless your young heart."

He responded by gently putting his hand on her shoulder and saying very kindly and sweetly, "Bless your old soul."

I pointed out to him that he wouldn't last a minute in the south.

I told him she was probably in culture shock moving to an area where people say what they think.

He said she was always asking everyone why they treated each other so rudely.

The staff was constantly trying to explain to her that they weren't being rude, that they were just being efficient and getting work done.

Anyways, I thought it was a funny story.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,107,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have a feeling that "bully victim" parents are just as impossible as "peanut" parents.

Parents didn't go running to the school when I was growing up. What is happening to the world with today's overprotectiveness?
Seriously. Starting in sixth grade the other girls began to make fun of me all the time. It didn't bother me one bit until the principal took it upon herself to bring me into the office and make sure I was OK. Nothing about me would have led them to think I was having any problem at all dealing with it. I had other friends and just ignored the girls. Goodness.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,107,155 times
On parent volunteers in the classroom, we had absolutely none. Parents just did not help out with the school except for the yearly "school carnival." The kids and teachers did fine without the help. Yes, it was a low income school, but even the mom's who stayed at home did not go down to the school. The only thing that all the parents went to were conferences in elementary school. The school always made the parents show up, and no excuses were allowed for those.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM

During my elementary school days (60's) parents came to school three times: Back to School night, (big deal - we showed off our ceramic turtles), Parent/Teacher conferences in the Fall, and the Christmas Pagent. Parent/Teacher conferences were held at night. The parents got dressed to the teeth. I can remember my mom wearing her Chanel no. 5 and her good jewelry it was such an event. (Granted there was no place else to go to. My poor mom was probably starved for a night on the town.)

No one even thought of bringing cookies and parents weren't expected to volunteer. (My school district had oodles of money back then.) I don't think it ever crossed anyone's mind to have the parents volunteer at the school.

Other than that if a Mom showed up at school it was because somebody threw up and the office called her to come take little Dennis home.

My school did have PTA but my parents refused to join. It was a very conservative town and I think they used to talk about things like "The John Birch Society and How it Improves Our 4th Graders".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.