Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Okay - one more vegetable question. This sounds slightly pathetic.... I was just moving things that were brought home yesterday around in the fridge , and I asked my son regarding one bunch of greens, "what is that by the way?" - good thing he knows every thing grown on the farm. So it is kale. What do to with that? Anyone have a really good, relatively simple suggestion? There were a ton of recipes on the website to wade through.
Hey coop - I grill bok choy all the time - I blanch it in boiling salted water just for a minute, until it turns bright green, then you run it under cold water and dry it off, to stop the cooking.

Then just roll it in a bit of olive oil and salt, and throw it on. It doesn't take long, but tastes really good with grill marks.

Actually that goes for asparagus and just about any other vegetable - I had yellow squash on the grill last night, I didn't blanch it first tho.

Kale I'm not so sure about, but it's probably like other greens - boil them quick and then drain and plop in some oil and seasonings, stir em up and eat. Those kind of veggies are really good with crushed red pepper and garlic.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
All this veggie talk is making me hungry. Thanks for the great recipe tips all!

DH has a cold. Of course it's the worst cold ever, in the history of mankind. When DH has had serious illnesses in the past he is very stoic, cool, calm, and collected. But a cold virus, and he turns into a whiny little girl.

Txt - so sorry to hear about your aunt.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Ah. So we just finished the teacher gift for the last day of school tomorrow. Nothing like the last minute. Tell me if you think it is ok or pathetic.

Just before Halloween, her teacher sent home a pumpkin seed in a cup with a moistened cotton ball. DD was careful to make sure she put it in front of windows to make sure it got sun. I took a picture of her putting the cup in the window and then took more pictures of her adding water to the cotton ball when it started to dry out. To my surprise, it grew a little shoot. She took it our back to her garden and planted it. I got pictures of that too. Since then, it has grown like crazy and actually had a couple of pumpkins grow.

I took pictures at every stage of her taking care of her plant and had her start a journal. You can see the progression of the handwriting through the journal. Now she has a journal and we glued all of the pictures into the journal. At the end, she put a little note to her teacher. It says "You helped me grow just like I helped this pumpkin grow. Without you I wouldn't be able to write this journal. Thank you."

What do you think?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Numm....way way cool!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
All this veggie talk is making me hungry. Thanks for the great recipe tips all!

DH has a cold. Of course it's the worst cold ever, in the history of mankind. When DH has had serious illnesses in the past he is very stoic, cool, calm, and collected. But a cold virus, and he turns into a whiny little girl.

Txt - so sorry to hear about your aunt.
Sounds familiar. DH can make a slightly scratchy throat seem like the end of the world. While he has his slightly scratchy throat and ends up in bed for days, I am usually up taking care of everything and working with a 103 fever.

Men are babies. They don't know how to power through.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Txt sorry to hear about your aunt. That is tough. I'm sorry your family is going through that.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
txt - where are my manners? I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt, too.

numnum - stop it. You're setting too good an example for the rest of us.

I'll be lucky if I can get an apple together.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM

OK - DH is "finally" off the computer and I can type again! DS just left for a "road trip" to help DD move from house to apt. I'm a nervous Nell when they are driving long distances and through traffic....sigh. I'll be relieved when I get the text from him that he is there safe and sound. Plus, he took my car which means I'm stuck driving his for a few days. Blech.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Numm....way way cool!
Thanks. I am glad you don't think it is cheesy. I figured since this teacher taught her how to write, it was only appropriate to give her something to show her that her hard work is paying off.

It is also good to know that 8 months of planning didn't go to waste.

If you guys said it was cheesy, I was going to run out and get a gift card if this isn't good enough. Thanks for the reassurance.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
It was a GREAT gift numnum.

My grandmother was a teacher. When she died (96) we found poems and things that her students had written for her 70 years previously. Grandma would have LOVED the journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.