Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,602,933 times

Advertisements

The Closer should be starting soon....I do like to watch that..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,863,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm car-less. We dropped it off tonight for inspection. Please keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't cost a thousand dollars to pass and a week to get it back.

I'm jealous of all of you who live in states with only emissions inspections. I believe Pennsylvania's safety inspections might be the worst of all the states.
No inspections here. We used to have emissions testing but they did away with that years ago. I think I was probably 16 when they stopped. I kind of wish they would bring it back though. You would think that FL would want somewhat clean air.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,347,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
No inspections here. We used to have emissions testing but they did away with that years ago. I think I was probably 16 when they stopped. I kind of wish they would bring it back though. You would think that FL would want somewhat clean air.
I thought emissions tests were required everywhere!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Nope. I just Googled some info on Emissions in FL and found this article Guide to Emissions Testing in Florida - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com it looks like it was only a temporary thing in a few counties. I just happened to live in one at the time.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Did you guys see the new temporary sticky thread? It is called "O Canada, we stand on guard for thee" If you haven't, it is kind of funny.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 PM

13,782 posts, read 10,133,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The Closer should be starting soon....I do like to watch that..
Ooo, did you guys see Million Dollar Decorators on Bravo last night? I think that's my new favorite.

I think I'd go nuts in summer without Bravo. All those Housewives making arses of themselves, dahhlink.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ooo, did you guys see Million Dollar Decorators on Bravo last night? I think that's my new favorite.

I think I'd go nuts in summer without Bravo. All those Housewives making arses of themselves, dahhlink.
lol. I agree about Bravo. I can't quite get into all of the cities though.

This leads me into a question I wanted to ask everyone last night. What shows do you watch, but don't like to admit to?

My first one is so bad that I almost can't type it. I actually watch Secret Life of the American Teenager. And I can't wait for next week's episode. I have to see what happens.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,528,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Dang, safety inspections?
Quote:
I've never heard of a car safety inspection being required. Hope it goes well for you!
I can't even list everything that's covered in safety inspections, but I will list things I can think of off the top of my head.

I believe I will need breaks. I think something is going wrong with my shocks, or whatever they're called on a car (I think shocks is the word for what's on trucks). Right there, it might be over a thousand dollars. I already put new tires on my car a month ago. Otherwise, it would have needed new tires for inspection too.

They also check all of your lights. If it's just a burned out bulb, it's a cheap fix. If it's wiring, it can get expensive to identify the problem. (All of my lights work). They even check your horn, windshield wipers, and defrosters. Oh, rust on the body that might have a hole need fixed because exhaust fumes can get into the passenger area. (I'm good in that regard because my car isn't that old.)

I'm sure there's more. I can't think of anything right now.

And of course, there's also the emissions inspection.

Last year, it only cost me the price of inspection and registration renewal. It seems to cost $800 every single time hubby takes his truck to get inspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We only have emissions testing, but from what I hear it's often nearly impossible for certain cars to pass the testing. I believe it was also made more difficult recently.
Here, you can get a waiver if you prove you've paid X amount of money to try to get it to pass emissions. It used to be $300, but hubby thinks it has increased. But you have to produce receipts proving that you bought parts and/or paid to have mechanical work done. The kicker is that you have to do this every single year over and over again. Just proving once that it doesn't pass emissions isn't good enough. Thankfully, this car won't have problems passing emissions. We've owned cars in the past that couldn't though.

Quote:
It's regulated by local laws. In Pennsylvania, emissions is only required for people who live in the metro areas of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Some states require it state-wide.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,602,933 times
Bravo is my guilty channel. I'm on and off with a couple of the Housewives shows. Not all of them.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,528,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Did you guys see the new temporary sticky thread? It is called "O Canada, we stand on guard for thee" If you haven't, it is kind of funny.
Love the title, very funny. I understand what she's trying to accomplish. It is terrible that happens to newbies who are truly innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.