Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
OK Everyone, Earthquake EXPERT here:

If you felt it... Be prepared for an aftershock or two or three. They could come very closely together. CNN has on Lucy Jones. She's one of L.A.'s earthquake queens. Listen to her. Or Kate Hutton. If you hear Kate being interviewed: Pay Attention!

Everyone be safe!!! 5.9 is enought to scare even the most expert earthquake riders. Including me. Wow.
One of my facebook friends posted a link to a camera overlooking the White House. The snipers on the roof look a little antsy. Not sure antsy snipers is exactly desirable.

D.C. Earthquake Caught on Tape | Video - ABC News

Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We were in a Costco once when a 6.8 hit. Not cool.
That is one of my greatest fears in life. Seriously. In CA I used to say a prayer and cross myself before I went into a Costco or Home Depot with all those stoves and fridges stored overhead.

Yikes.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I was on a ski lift in a 6.2 when I was a kid, about a mile away from the epicenter. Watching the non-stop coverage on MSNBC right now, I have to remind myself that a lot of people had never experienced one until today.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
One of my facebook friends posted a link to a camera overlooking the White House. The snipers on the roof look a little antsy. Not sure antsy snipers is exactly desirable.

I'm pretty sure as it's so close to 9/11 the first thoughts were that it was an attack of some sort.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I was on a ski lift in a 6.2 when I was a kid, about a mile away from the epicenter. Watching the non-stop coverage on MSNBC right now, I have to remind myself that a lot of people had never experienced one until today.
Oy - that sounds terrifying! I've never been in an earthquake (unless you count today, which I don't since I didn't actually experience anything). Hurricanes - check. Tornadoes - check. That's about the extent of my natural disaster experience.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure as it's so close to 9/11 the first thoughts were that it was an attack of some sort.
That's what I'm hearing from folks in NY, too.

Unrelated note: hope health visits your home soon, Zim!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just heard a woman interviewed who lives near the epicenter. She said her house lost both chimneys and there are cracks all over the house.

I feel so sorry for her. And anyone else with that kind of damage. I'm wondering if her homeowner's insurance will cover it. In L.A. we paid for special quake coverage.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
That is one of my greatest fears in life. Seriously. In CA I used to say a prayer and cross myself before I went into a Costco or Home Depot with all those stoves and fridges stored overhead.

Yikes.
The bad thing was when the lights went out, there was absolutely no natural light. At all. And of course no civility, people pushing, shoving, and scratching to get out.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Unrelated note: hope health visits your home soon, Zim!
Aww thanks. I think it will be a few days yet. DD and I have been sneezing and sniffing all afternoon. It's a good excuse to indulge ourselves a bit. Only problem is DD is the crabbiest sick person ever.

You didn't experience any earthquakes when you lived out west?

Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post

I learn something new everyday here. Never occurred to me that there are always snipers on the white house roof. Silly me.

Quote:
I feel so sorry for her. And anyone else with that kind of damage. I'm wondering if her homeowner's insurance will cover it. In L.A. we paid for special quake coverage.
OMG I never thought of that! I doubt we have it (plan to check). I doubt many people in Virginia have it.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Aww thanks. I think it will be a few days yet. DD and I have been sneezing and sniffing all afternoon. It's a good excuse to indulge ourselves a bit. Only problem is DD is the crabbiest sick person ever.

You didn't experience any earthquakes when you lived out west?
Well, both "ugh" and "yay," then!

I didn't - you'd think that in 5 years in Seattle we would have had something, but we didn't (or at least nothing I ever heard about). A lot of predictions that any day we'd get the big one (or that Rainier would blow again), but nothing ever came of it. We had a great escape plan for various disaster preparedness scenarios, though. And an apocalypse kit.

Did you experience any when you were there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.