Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hopes...you can get it in a can or fresh....I love love love crabcakes....not something we get much of out here....
I love love love crab cakes.
I love crab too.
Just the other day I had a crab cake sandwich. It was awesome. I want another one.

They eat dinner so early and i'm left at this time soooo starving, I may go grab one.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I think the "evil eye" technique worked.....the vacuum appears to be cooperating.....I think it overheard all the Dyson talk and saw it's future in the Goodwill store.....

Old 05-16-2011, 06:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I think the "evil eye" technique worked.....the vacuum appears to be cooperating.....I think it overheard all the Dyson talk and saw it's future in the Goodwill store.....

Sorry Hopes, can't help you with the crab cakes. Don't eat them. Don't cook them. Horrendous shellfish allergy.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM

When I think of crab, I think of living in Maryland. We would occasionally go out to this restaurant for special occasions - I'd always order the Crab Imperial....I love crab but I do not like to crack my own with a mallet and pull the meat out myself....ick.....

catering in silver spring, maryland by Mrs K's Restaurant since 1930

Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
When I think of crab, I think of living in Maryland. We would occasionally go out to this restaurant for special occasions - I'd always order the Crab Imperial....

catering in silver spring, maryland by Mrs K's Restaurant since 1930
Yummy! I ate crabcakes more often when I lived in Harrisburg. The closer to the coast, the better the crabcakes.

Quote:
I love crab but I do not like to crack my own with a mallet and pull the meat out myself....ick.....
I don't like the idea of doing that to make crabcakes. I don't eat seafood that requires me cracking things open. Hubby always eats snow crabs and such. I'll take a bit of his since he's doing the cracking.

I'll try the canned route first. There's also a warehouse shopping district in our area where all the fresh food comes into the area. There are fresh seafood shops there. I'll check to see if they sell crab meat already hammered out. It will probably be super expensive buying it that way, but I'd like to at least experiment and see if it makes a difference in how my homemade crabcakes taste.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Funny! Glad to hear it's getting it's act together. If it starts slacking again, we'll gladly gossip about the Dyson to whip it back into shape for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry Hopes, can't help you with the crab cakes. Don't eat them. Don't cook them. Horrendous shellfish allergy.
Yikes! Can you eat in a restaurant that cooks seafood? Can you eat at the same table with others who are eating seafood?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yikes! Can you eat in a restaurant that cooks seafood? Can you eat at the same table with others who are eating seafood?
Yes. Thankfully that's not a problem. Years ago I had a kidney x-ray and they used a shellfish based dye. I was such a picky eater I'd never had shellfish and had no idea I was allergic to it. So they shot me full of this dye and it just about did me in. They called a Code Blue. It was all tremendously dramatic. Not that I remember much since I passed out. I came to and there was a room full of nervous looking people.

So I'm very careful. I can be around it, I just can't injest it. (You might be surprised to find out how many products have shellfish in them.)

Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
I love crabcakes, but I've never tried to make them. I have substituted crab for salmon and made some killer salmon cakes with dipping sauce. I could try making them...or I could walk a 1/2 mile and buy them from the store.

Today we (the husband and I) got $200 worth of groceries for $98. We have a big freezer in our garage and now have enough ground turkey, chicken breasts, and various cuts of beef to last several months. We also got some half price soups and fresh veggies!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
If it starts slacking again, we'll gladly gossip about the Dyson to whip it back into shape for you!

Thanks!

Oh my. Dew - how awful! We have been fortunate WRT allergies...no known food allergies. Just a bid of lactose intolerance (pretty much everyone but me) and periodic seasonal allergies.....

Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Thanks - She has a keyboard....I know she uses it for school stuff (papers) obviously (although-not sure how much more of that she actually has left) so printing is a must.... She does use Skype a lot (which I'm guessing would be an issue)....so far she's ok but just not sure how much longer it will last....We were looking at the new iPads when she was home and they are really sweet. I was thinking just the other day how spoiled we're getting. Remembering when I started work right out of college - no computers - we still had typists and shared a phone line. When we got faxes it was HUGE - and that was with that paper that curled! LOL....now here I am complaining about how cumbersome a 15" laptop is....
Hey mm - we just got an iPad - I'm guessing coop's hubby probably is the one to listen to, but we just love ours. You can get a dock for it that has a full keyboard, I do believe it's capable of wireless printing, or if she keeps her old laptop it's pretty easy to send documents to your old computer using an app called dropbox. I believe there's an app for just about every kind of document processing or whatever - I have a serious Mac tower for my work that the iPad can't replace yet, but you can do some outrageous music creation on it.

My point in saying that being that it's already unbelievable what this thing can do, and it's pretty unlimited I reckon. I think it's definitely the way if the future.

Skype works great, but the one big drawback would be that the iPad is not flash compatible, so if she goes to a lot of sites with flash content that could be a bummer.

I'd think seriously about it, but I'd keep my laptop for backup and to handle certain things while transitioning.

Perhaps check out the field she's studying and do a google search for the apps available for her to use. You might find it's totally worthwhile.

Or you could wait for the next generation of iPad2's, it's great to have a camera but it's not the highest resolution on the planet, and if I know my Apple history the next incarnation will have a higher quality camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting