Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Do they?
They certainly did not while I was in scouts. Cubscouts first, then up the ladder. Finally made Eagle Scout.

I remember them teaching how to build a fire, how to send morris code, how to set up a tent, how to make a camp that you wouldn't have water running through it if it rained, how to survive, how to make the best out of wilderness trips, how to be respectful with nature, how to track an animal and know what kind of animal I was tracking, how to be honest and faithful, but I never ever heard them say one thing about intollerance toward gays.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
My son (12) is in it and loves it. Like me when I was a kid, he gets to enjoy so many different experiences that he may not be able to otherwise. Our township in NJ of <9,000 people has 2 thriving Scout Troops. My son's troop cranks out lots of Eagle scouts which is one heck of an accomplishment for a young man.

I'm thankful for the men that devote their free time to these boys.

Last edited by doc1; 08-02-2007 at 01:48 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 AM

My brother and I, who weren't blessed with daughters, volunteered to take the local Girl Scout Troop on a weekend campout but didn't get any takers.

Some parents were quite aghast at the suggestion and needless to say, we were quite offended at their close mindedness and willingness to stereotype.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:09 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
My brother and I, who weren't blessed with daughters, volunteered to take the local Girl Scout Troop on a weekend campout but didn't get any takers.

Some parents were quite aghast at the suggestion and needless to say, we were quite offended at their close mindedness and willingness to stereotype.
hahaha I know exactly where you are coming from. I had two daughters in Girl Scouts. The troup master set up a camping trip. She asked for volunteers. I readily held my hand up and said, "I'll go."

Well, it ended up that it was me and 4 women. Now don't get me wrong, this is funny.

We got to the location and when we unloaded, the troup master turned to me and said, "Set up the tents, we're going on a hike." When she come back, she was astounded because there was only one tent set up. MINE. She said "What's going on?" I said, "Well, I got hungry and was waiting for you women to get back and cook me supper."

Needless to say, the rest of the weekend wasn't pleasant.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
Maybe I missed something. Stereotype of what? People without daughters? I don't have a stereotype of people without daughters, but I would never, ever let my kids go on a campout without someone I knew VERY well, period. It has nothing to do with stereotyping or closed mindedness. It has to do with common sense and good parenting.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,315 times
Many Boy Scouts are entering an age of sexual experimentation. A certain number of the Boy Scouts are either gay or open to experimenting. I think allowing gay scout leaders is basically begging for an incident. If that is ok, lets send 16 year old Girl Scouts into the woods with grown men who aren't related to them. Doesn't sound so great does it? What is the difference? It seems like common sense to me, not discrimination.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
.... If that is ok, lets send 16 year old Girl Scouts into the woods with grown men who aren't related to them. Doesn't sound so great does it? What is the difference? It seems like common sense to me, not discrimination.
That was my point in my earlier post.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,100 times
I think scouting is great oppertunity for a young boy to learn about life. Becoming an eagle scout is a great accomplishment. I wonder what percentage of kids in the scouts go on to become Eagle Scouts?

The only things that I would be concerned about if my Son joined would be fear of pedofile's that might prey on them. And teasing they might get from others in school. It a shame that this is the kind of world we live in. I have a great respect for Scouts.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Many Boy Scouts are entering an age of sexual experimentation. A certain number of the Boy Scouts are either gay or open to experimenting. I think allowing gay scout leaders is basically begging for an incident. If that is ok, lets send 16 year old Girl Scouts into the woods with grown men who aren't related to them. Doesn't sound so great does it? What is the difference? It seems like common sense to me, not discrimination.
If that was all they discriminated against, I couldn't debate it. But why then, do they ban Atheists and Agnostics? Seems to me that the Boy Scouts have a small problem with acceptance. Maybe that should be a badge.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
One of my brothers kids is now a Boy Scout. I remember being in the Boy Scouts when I was a kid and felt it was kind of a Nerdy activity. Most of the kids in Boy Scouts were the social outcasts. Is this still true?
My son is a scout. He's certainly not nerdy. He plays football and lacrosse too. There might be some nerds in the troup, but Bill Gates was a nerd soooooo what's wrong with being a nerd? I really don't understand why parents worry about having nerds. What do they want----drug addicts for kids?

Last year, my son went sailing the Florida Keys for three weeks on a scooner. Right now, he's away in New Mexico for three weeks hiking and he'll also be white water rafting in Colorado . He's having fantastic experiences that most non-scouts do not. At 6'2", nobody dares tell my son he's a nerd. He'd just laugh anyway. Truly, what is cooler than getting to sail the Florida Keys for three weeks and getting to run around Key West for the entire day with other kids your age---unsupervised? They had a blast!

There was a time when my son felt it was nerdy and wanted to quit (around 12ish). I forced him to stay in scouts telling him that it was the only requirement I asked of him. When you attend the Eagle cerimonies, every single Eagle Scout thanks his parents for forcing them to stick with it when they wanted to quit. It's truly character building to have to do something one does not want to do. Kids today are too pampered. They need challenges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting