Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,188,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
you just named all of my dd's favorite movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hayao Miyazaki is a genius!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,907,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Also there are lots of older TV shows on DVD that might be good, depending on your kids' ages and genders:

"Little House on the Prairie"
"Touched by an Angel"
"The Waltons"
"Anne of Avonlea" (that was a series, wasn't it?)

I'm sure there are others....
We like "The Muppet Show" and "Fraggle Rock" at our house. And the early Muppet movies. We may have a Jim Henson problem ...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,082,703 times
Ooh, yeah, "The Muppet Show" is awesome.

Anyone watch the "Young Indiana Jones" series?

Seriously, to the OP, I bet your library has tons of DVDs you can just start exploring.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM

486 posts, read 1,666,622 times
Another more recent movie that my DD loves! and I find quite entertaining too is Enchanted. It's great for the whole princess theme in a modern day way with flashbacks to wicked stepmothers, bad apples, etc...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
I'll add (for the 7-12 age group):

Matilda (probably my dd's all time favorite)
Holes
Ella Enchanted
The Princess Diaries
Dennis the Menace (the one with Walter Matthau)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original, although she likes the Johnny Depp one too)
The Little Princess (she loved both the Shirley Temple original and the newer version)

Also, for older kids:

Adventures in Babysitting (would be PG-13 by today's standards)
Sleepover

Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,909,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
We like "The Muppet Show" and "Fraggle Rock" at our house. And the early Muppet movies. We may have a Jim Henson problem ...
Oh my kids love "The Muppets Take Manhattan" to a fault. "Somebody's getting married, somebody's getting married....lalalallalalala" I can still hear it echoing through my head.

I prefer the original Muppet Movie with Animal's big scene at the end. "Life's like a movie, make your own ending, keep believing, keep pretending..."

Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'll add (for the 7-12 age group):

Matilda (probably my dd's all time favorite)
Holes
Ella Enchanted
The Princess Diaries
Dennis the Menace (the one with Walter Matthau)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original, although she likes the Johnny Depp one too)
The Little Princess (she loved both the Shirley Temple original and the newer version)

Also, for older kids:

Adventures in Babysitting (would be PG-13 by today's standards)
Sleepover
My kids LOVE these too. Our VCR broke and we have them on VHS. I need to replace them if I can. They love the bathroom scene in Dennis the Menace where Dennis tries out all of Mr. Wilson's stuff and gets the floor wet.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,907,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Oh my kids love "The Muppets Take Manhattan" to a fault. "Somebody's getting married, somebody's getting married....lalalallalalala" I can still hear it echoing through my head.

I prefer the original Muppet Movie with Animal's big scene at the end. "Life's like a movie, make your own ending, keep believing, keep pretending..."
Haha! I love it! If you want to know how dorky I really am: my husband and I watched "The Muppets Take Manhattan" the night before we got married ("because you share a love so big, I now pronounce you frog and pig").

DS adores the Muppets, too.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM

LMAO. I love when Kermit forgets who he is and becomes a businessman frog.

The Muppet Show ran at just the right age for me to fall in love with it. I should get the dvds for my kids to watch now that two of them are elementary aged.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,372,704 times
The Sound of Music
Black Stallion
Swiss Family Robinson (love it!)
Secondhand Lions
Ella Enchanted
Finding Nemo
Tarzan
Robin Hood (Disney version with the animals)
The Journey of Natty Gann (for kids over 7)

I forgot all about The God's Must be Crazy!! That's a great movie!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting