Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM

37,180 posts, read 41,370,467 times

Advertisements

There are still parents who will not be convinced. A local TV station interviewed a man who has met Wakefield. He sees Wakefield as a nice guy who would not do the things he is accused of doing.

The gentleman who was interviewed has a daughter with autism and is convinced that Wakefield's recommendations will cure her eventually.

I am afraid that many who believe in Wakefield will see him as the target of a witch hunt. They will continue to believe in him. There are some who will believe the original study even if Wakefield eventually recants. There is a whole generation of parents of autistic children whose attitudes have been tainted by Wakefield and it may take another generation before confidence in vaccines is restored.

The hardest thing for parents of autistic children to believe is that perhaps the reason we cannot identify anything in the environment that causes autism is because the environmental cause does not exist.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. There are plenty of things I question about how I parent my kids, and choices I make. Whether or not they are correct, helpful, harmful, etc. Vaccines, however, were not one of those questionable factors.

How could you not question things being injected into your child's body?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:11 AM

13,669 posts, read 20,809,569 times
The only surprising thing was that people were stupid enough to believe it. Of course, known medical intellectual Jenny McCarthy said it was true, so who can blame them?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 AM

834 posts, read 2,687,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My grandson has autism. I am not pissed at the parents at all. I am, however, pissed at the snake oil salesmen. Parents are spending a lot of money on things that are very poor science.
Amen to this! My sister who lives on a budget spends a lot of money on special supplements, and a bunch of other things I consider crap for her kid. She keeps him on a gluten free diet - some thing end up being more costly because of that. I don't get spending over $4, $5 for a pack of 12 gluten free chocolate chip cookies. All the other supplements are given by a naturopath "doctor." I just wish this guy goes out of business so my sis can open her eyes and realize she's wasting a lot of her money in him.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM

852 posts, read 1,366,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
Amen to this! My sister who lives on a budget spends a lot of money on special supplements, and a bunch of other things I consider crap for her kid. She keeps him on a gluten free diet - some thing end up being more costly because of that. I don't get spending over $4, $5 for a pack of 12 gluten free chocolate chip cookies. All the other supplements are given by a naturopath "doctor." I just wish this guy goes out of business so my sis can open her eyes and realize she's wasting a lot of her money in him.
Gluten free seems to be the new cure all. I'm not sure what to think of it.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,870,445 times
My sister *pediatrician* says she even has parents coming in now refusing polio vaccines.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,870,445 times
Quote:
She would just find someone else to waste the money of Houston. Though what does she buy that you consider crap....because there are places online like vitacost were she can get it much cheaper.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How could you not question things being injected into your child's body?
I have lived and worked in parts of the world still affected by vaccine-preventable diseases. When you have seen a newborn with pertussis or healthy children die following the measles the question is not how harmful are the vaccines, but thank goodness we can protect our children from these terrible illnesses.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have lived and worked in parts of the world still affected by vaccine-preventable diseases. When you have seen a newborn with pertussis or healthy children die following the measles the question is not how harmful are the vaccines, but thank goodness we can protect our children from these terrible illnesses.
That still doesn't make sense to me. How could someone not think about it? It makes no sense.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,788 times
Quote:
You might consider it crap but lots of people have had success with gluten free diets. I'm not saying it works for everyone but it does for some. If it were my child, I'd try everything I could to help them. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.