Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times

Advertisements

The only time I ever showered in school (this was in the '90s) was during the weeks of gym we were in the pool, and even that was more a quick rinse to get the chlorine off. I don't remember anyone in my class showering, although perhaps some did. It was primarily an aspect of time -- there may have been enough time to get into the shower, but there certainly wasn't time to dry our hair, and the last thing I (and presumably others) was walk around a cold, drafty Minnesota high school all day with damp hair.

They should still build showers, though, as they do get more use during after-school sports, and potentially after the more intense specialized gym classes like aerobics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
No.
For me, "back in the day", the gym teacher stood at the entrance to the shower area, holding the towels, to ensure we showered.

My kids never showered at school. If DS has a before school practice, he'll come home to shower then return to school.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,089,901 times
No one at my schools showered at school. There was no time after P. E., and no one wanted to stay around after practice to shower there. They would just shower at home.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,058,414 times
I've never heard of anyone showering for gym class since the 80's. They pretty much put an ends to that when they discovered that many of the gym teachers were pedophiles...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I've never heard of anyone showering for gym class since the 80's. They pretty much put an ends to that when they discovered that many of the gym teachers were pedophiles...

Please.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM

50,356 posts, read 47,099,157 times
Didn't usually have time during PE but we always did later in the day after football, wrestling or track.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,839,750 times
We had showers at my school which where all separate little stalls with curtains and benches. No one ever showered after gym, no one had the time really. Most people showered after their sports tho which where after school.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,730,403 times
During football season, my son would occasionally shower at school. I didn't when I was in school, unless it was after swimming and I was in my suit. Most of my kids were NOT going to strip naked. I'm with the posters who do NOT necessarily want their kids showering in the school showers. Moist, wet environments are perfect locations for spreading nasties....besides, my kids have come home with stories of kids peeing on each other in the showers. I ask you, where do some of those little creeps come up with such sickness? There have been stories of kids taking a crap in the shower. It blows my mind, the sickness in some of these kids....the things they think are clever or funny. No, I expect my kids to take showers as soon as they get home from practice or sporting events. THAT, is a rule.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM

426 posts, read 792,090 times
In middle school we would have to shower at least 3 times a week (it was part of our grade). What we did was throw the towel around us with our undergarments still on and go up to the shower head and just sprinkle water on us. Sometimes if it was hot outside we would get our hair wet to. As long as it looked like we showered, we got credit. I never did in HS and it wasn't part of our grade. Weird thing now is I go to the gym in the mornings and shower there before work and have no problem with the whole showering concept (I'm still quite modest while showering/changing). Should the schools still build showers? Sure but only a few. Most of the times the kids don't like to anyway, I know I sure didn't.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,410,416 times
When I was in high school, it was mandatory to take a shower after gym, unless it was your time of the month. The gym teacher stood there and checked off all us nekkid girls passing in front of her hungry eyes. Disgusting!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting