Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM

556 posts, read 798,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I don't have Asperger's Syndrome...Funny that you should say this...Obviously we have very different views regarding sarcasm. I just prefer to discuss things openly versus "skirting issues" through sarcasm or humor when some degree of seriousness is needed to solve an ongoing problem...My son just laughed too when I told him that someone on the forum suggested that I might have Asperger's Syndrome. He couldn't believe it. He doesn't care for sarcasm either....We're not nerds...We do have a sense of humor....But we don't need to rely on sarcasm to express ourselves. Those that do enjoy sarcasm are free to use it. We're all different.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
I don't have Asperger's Syndrome...Funny that you should say this...Obviously we have very different views regarding sarcasm. I just prefer to discuss things openly versus "skirting issues" through sarcasm or humor when some degree of seriousness is needed to solve an ongoing problem...
Sarcasm isn't only used for serious problems. It's everyday humor! Whatever humor you prefer, please tell me you use it everyday!

Quote:
My son just laughed too when I told him that someone on the forum suggested that I might have Asperger's Syndrome. He couldn't believe it.
Why is that funny? My girlfriend's husband has Aspergers. He's an extremely successful lawyer and a very nice person.

Perhaps you and your son aren't knowledgable about Aspergers. Even so, I can't understand how you could think it was funny.

Oh, wait! Were you being sarcastic by saying something was funny when you were really insulted by my thinking you had Aspergers!

That is sarcasm! YOU and YOUR SON use sarcasm!

Quote:
He doesn't care for sarcasm either....We're not nerds...We do have a sense of humor....
Please explain your humor. You mean like your son laughing at something I posted that wasn't a joke? Isn't THAT insulting?

That's pretty rude and mean, right? What you didn't like about your mother's humor was that she was being rude and mean and hurting your feelings, right?

Quote:
But we don't need to rely on sarcasm to express ourselves.
We're not relying on sarcasm. We simply enjoy it.

Quote:
We're all different.
Well, based on this thread, a majority of people enjoy sarcasm. That means most of us are the same in that regard.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-06-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,628 times
Ahh, I see. Sarcasm is mean. Laughing at a disability is not. Got it.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,187,375 times
I think he found it funny and his son laughed because of the absurdity of the comment. It's a pretty big leap to assume that just because someone's personal sense of humor doesn't contain sarcasm does not automatically mean that they must have Aspergers. There are lots of different types of humor. My personal one happens to be dry and sarcastic but I understand that not everyone is wired that way. Everyone is different.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
As a somewhat sarcastic person myself, I find that I have passed that trait onto my son. Sometimes enjoyable; sometimes not!!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Ahh, I see. Sarcasm is mean. Laughing at a disability is not. Got it.
Thank you! I'm glad you caught it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I think he found it funny and his son laughed because of the absurdity of the comment.
But that's still rude---to laugh thinking someone's comment is absurd.

Quote:
It's a pretty big leap to assume that just because someone's personal sense of humor doesn't contain sarcasm does not automatically mean that they must have Aspergers. There are lots of different types of humor. My personal one happens to be dry and sarcastic but I understand that not everyone is wired that way. Everyone is different.
It's not a leap. People with Aspergers are KNOWN for not understanding sarcasm and irony. My girlfriend's husband has a sense of humor, but he can't understand sarcasm at all. He takes it literally, which can result in hurt feelings, like the OP described having.

Think about it. The OP doesn't understand sarcasm so much that he/she started a thread on an internet forum about it, and then was surprised to discover that MOST people enjoy sarcasm.

The OP isn't simply stating that his humor doesn't contain sarcasm. The OP is accusing people who use sarcasm as 'relying' on it to 'avoid' 'serious' discussion and created this thread because he thinks it's harmful to children.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-06-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
My father was a master at sarcasm as well. Usually he was funny. Once in a while, he crossed the mark into mean.

I am sarcastic, and one of my daughters is as well. Maybe it's hereditary.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,919,527 times
Quote:
I think he found it funny and his son laughed because of the absurdity of the comment. It's a pretty big leap to assume that just because someone's personal sense of humor doesn't contain sarcasm does not automatically mean that they must have Aspergers. There are lots of different types of humor. My personal one happens to be dry and sarcastic but I understand that not everyone is wired that way. Everyone is different.
I agree- just because one doesn't like or use sarcasm doesn't make him/her any less of a person

Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I agree- just because one doesn't like or use sarcasm doesn't make him/her any less of a person
I don't think a person with Aspergers is less of a person. I'm surprised you feel that way about people with Aspergers. Truly.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,618 times
Most kids just go along and laugh when they are the target of sarcastic comments...They don't want to be labeled a troublemaker or be viewed as a sissy in their family. They want to be accepted...In time they just copy the behavior and culture of their family and become sarcastic themselves so they will fit-in...I majored in Child Development and Paychology and Sociology to study the dynamics that play out in families...Insinuating that I have Asperger's or lack a sense of humor seems like a defense tactic to me. But I have pretty tough "skin." I am concerned about the effects of sarcasm on children. This has been an important issue to me for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting