Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,235,554 times

Advertisements

Nothing phased my mum,

I and my siblings were allowed to roam the streets just so long as we were home for dinner. Mind you if we were rude then we were sent to father for the cane and if we were not seated, hands washed by the time we said grace then we were sent to bed with no dinner. I could come to her with any problem and she would answer my questions but she never told me what to do.

I do not recall her ever shouting.

I do not recall ever arguing with her. If I or any of my siblings were not ready when we were supposed to be going somewhere then either she would just get in the car and go on her own or just not go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM

486 posts, read 1,666,379 times
aside from the inappropriate shouting, crying and hitting (all from her end) I don't remember much. I wasn't a kid who got into a lot of trouble though but that may be because I knew I'd get punched in the stomach or something if I got caught doing something wrong.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,797 times
Hmmm that I sound and act just like her i say things over and over to get my point across. I say things over and over to get my point across.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
My mother had a secret weapon: The box of TSP multi-purpose cleaner that was under the kitchen sink. An ingenious weapon of mass destruction which would cause even the most ill-behaved child to suddenly have the countenance of an angel if threatened with an afternoon of washing the floors. By hand. On your knees. With a rag. And a toothbrush.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The truth is Mom did not have to discipline me she just had to tell Dad and knowing that I was pretty good.
My mother never played the "wait until your father gets home game."

My Mother ran the house, and part of running the house was dealing with the children.

That said, my Mother didn't rule with physical discipline. She grounded us.

As a result, we pretty much behaved. Our household was fairly calm.

That said, I do remember my Mother lining us all up in the kitchen once and waving a wooden spoon demanding to know where X was.

I can't remember what X was. All I know is I had nothing to do with X.

One of my older sisters started yelling at me to admit that I was the one that took X.

(I'm certain SHE WAS THE ONE who took X and was trying to deflect the crime onto me!)

Nothing came of this. Nobody was ever spanked with that wooden spoon. Nobody even feared the wooden spoon.

It was just a one-time comical lineup of children with a mother trying to desperately find X----which she never found!

I was probably five years old. That's the first and last time my Mother tried to threaten us with physical discipline. Since it didn't work, she stuck with groundings instead.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:09 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,542,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Nothing phased my mum,

I and my siblings were allowed to roam the streets just so long as we were home for dinner. Mind you if we were rude then we were sent to father for the cane and if we were not seated, hands washed by the time we said grace then we were sent to bed with no dinner. I could come to her with any problem and she would answer my questions but she never told me what to do.

I do not recall her ever shouting.

I do not recall ever arguing with her. If I or any of my siblings were not ready when we were supposed to be going somewhere then either she would just get in the car and go on her own or just not go.

My parents had a saying.....You can go outside, do what ever, but don't let the street lights beat you home.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My mother had a secret weapon: The box of TSP multi-purpose cleaner that was under the kitchen sink. An ingenious weapon of mass destruction which would cause even the most ill-behaved child to suddenly have the countenance of an angel if threatened with an afternoon of washing the floors. By hand. On your knees. With a rag. And a toothbrush.

I use to hate doing dishes. If we did a poor job, mommy would wait good until we got into a deep commatose sleep, wake us up and took EVERY dish, pot and pan out of the cabinets and made us wash them...urggg. Love you Mom

Last edited by blackandproud; 11-13-2010 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I use to hate doing dishes. If we did a poor job, mommy would wait good until we got into a deep commatose sleep, wake us up and took EVERY dish, pot and pan out of the cabinets and made us wash them...urggg. Love you Mom
My mother wouldn't have done that over dishes.

But she woke us up SUPER EARLY to help with housework if we got caught drinking. She ensured we experienced the worst hangover ever.

It worked too. Decades later, my siblings and I are still not drinkers.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM

88,631 posts, read 84,895,898 times
My mother could drive the red Chevy station wagon and swing one long arm in a sweep, catching five heads, without swerving, when we wouldn't stop fighting.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother could drive the red Chevy station wagon and swing one long arm in a sweep, catching five heads, without swerving, when we wouldn't stop fighting.

LMAO... I just got a visual...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting