Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,555,755 times

Advertisements

interesting article

Is Early Potty Training Harmful? - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,162,912 times
I know someone who also wanted their 16 month old out of diapers before the new baby arrived. They put a potty in the living room and made her sit on it while they were all in there. They followed her around continuously asking if she had to go. It seemed really enjoyable for everyone involved. If you don't want 2 children in diapers then space them accordingly.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,898,672 times
My wife had our kids potty trained early. Earliest was 16 months...latest 22 months. Now if we can only get the boys to stop peeing on the seat.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,740,023 times
I only had to push one of my dd's. Dd#1 had to be potty trained to go to preschool at 3 and she, barely, made it under the wire. Fortunately, she didn't have any accidents at preschool. She was 10 before she could make it through the night though.

Dd#2 potty trained herself at 24 months. I got a chuckle about the part of the article talking about being able to sit safely on the seat. She was so little, I thought she was going to fall in. We hadn't planned on potty training her yet so we didn't have a potty seat out. She just toddled to the bathroom one day, climbed up on the toilet and that was that. After that there was no putting a potty seat on the toilet. She wanted to be able to climb up by herself. "Me do it! Me do it!" She never did fall in but she got her butt wet a few times.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,687,974 times
I plan on starting as soon as DD understands what potty means. I swear now a days you cant win for lose they are always changing their minds. Im so sick of following the books. I think im done with that I got her (almost) through the first year following the book from here on out im doing what I (and sometimes you guys when I ask advice ) think is right !!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,555,755 times
One time I was in a group of women discussing potty training when one mother was trying to comfort a distraught mother of a 4 year old still in diapers. she said "Honestly Sue, I've never seen a first grader go to school with a diaper in his back pack." I think we put so much pressure on kids to reach certain milestones and it just makes for stressful Moms and kids.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,691,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One time I was in a group of women discussing potty training when one mother was trying to comfort a distraught mother of a 4 year old still in diapers. she said "Honestly Sue, I've never seen a first grader go to school with a diaper in his back pack." I think we put so much pressure on kids to reach certain milestones and it just makes for stressful Moms and kids.
I've seen kids go to school with pulls-up in their backpack! That mom needs to get busy!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,080,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I only had to push one of my dd's. Dd#1 had to be potty trained to go to preschool at 3 and she, barely, made it under the wire. Fortunately, she didn't have any accidents at preschool. She was 10 before she could make it through the night though.

Dd#2 potty trained herself at 24 months. I got a chuckle about the part of the article talking about being able to sit safely on the seat. She was so little, I thought she was going to fall in. We hadn't planned on potty training her yet so we didn't have a potty seat out. She just toddled to the bathroom one day, climbed up on the toilet and that was that. After that there was no putting a potty seat on the toilet. She wanted to be able to climb up by herself. "Me do it! Me do it!" She never did fall in but she got her butt wet a few times.
That was exactly how it went with my kids, my oldest was 3 and a half before she was trained, and kept having some issues until she was 4. She will still wet her pants if a teacher doesn't let her go when she's been asking for an hour though (at age 10).

My younger daughter is extremely petite for her age. At 24 months she was wearing 9-12 month clothes. She did fall into the toilet a couple of times, got stuck once with her butt in the water and her legs, arms and head sticking straight out of the seat...she was really upset and that was in the apartment where the bathroom had no insulation, so her butt was blue from the icy water even though I rescued her as soon as I heard her cry.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:37 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,922,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree with this. Call me weird, but I just don't understand the competitive rush to train (unless there's something like preschool or daycare that requires it). IMO, there is a large range of normal for when kids are ready, and on a case by case basis, they are ready when they are ready and not a minute before. My son was over 3 and 1/2 before he decided he was ready to use the potty consistently (showed all of the signs of readiness before then, just didn't want to sit on the potty or wear undies). When he decided it was time, it took under a week, and he's been accident-free both day and night ever since. It's not like being potty trained early is correlated with winning Nobel prizes later in life.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I've seen kids go to school with pulls-up in their backpack! That mom needs to get busy!

Potty training is the child's accomplishment, not the parent's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting