Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times

Advertisements

I can't believe it. I just had some kid, actually pretty young( 9 or 10) text his friends about what kind of candy I gave out for Trick or Treating! And his mother was standing on the front lawn. Now this should go in the "How old is too old for Trick or Treating" thread. The Mother thought it was pretty funny when I commented to her about abusing the spirit of Halloween.

Don't you think any kid who has a cell phone and thinks it's cool to spread the word about the best candy in the neighborhood should be better monitored by his parent? next year I'm gonna give out Sour Patches or the cheapest stuff I can find. I had way more kids this year than in the past and I wonder how wide spread this texting while Trick or Treating is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 08:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can't believe it. I just had some kid, actually pretty young( 9 or 10) text his friends about what kind of candy I gave out for Trick or Treating! And his mother was standing on the front lawn. Now this should go in the "How old is too old for Trick or Treating" thread. The Mother thought it was pretty funny when I commented to her about abusing the spirit of Halloween.

Don't you think any kid who has a cell phone and thinks it's cool to spread the word about the best candy in the neighborhood should be better monitored by his parent? next year I'm gonna give out Sour Patches or the cheapest stuff I can find. I had way more kids this year than in the past and I wonder how wide spread this texting while Trick or Treating is.
I don't see how that's any different from the kids who run into each other in the street and tell each other the "good" houses for trick or treat. We used to do that when I was a kid in the olden days before cell phones. I don't think the kid did anything wrong and I probably would have found it amusing as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:09 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
I think that's pretty sad! Unfortunately, it seems as if that's kind of gotten to be the trend. The kids have a tendency to flock to the houses who give out "full-sized" candy bars and/or sandwich bags full of assorted stuff. Me? I'm not going to spend that kind of money!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

It's really not that big of a deal. When I was a kid we knew who gave out the best and spread the word just the same. Although now its easier but if I was young again I would be waiting for the texts to come in also.

Why do you seem so bothered by it? Seems pretty harmless to me.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,340,636 times
They crack me up. Ding dong. Open door. The requisite "Trick or Treat!" A kid in costume makes eye contact for barely a nanosecond before the eyes flick directly to the candy bowl and fixate. S-T-A-R-I-N-G at the bowl...

You can see the thoughts flashing through their little heads. "Is she gonna give me candy or do I get to reach in and pick my own? Dare I take more than one? Which kind should I pick?" Those thoughts are running rampant in the manic quest for candy.

They utter a quick thank you (perhaps prompted by mom or dad) and then haul off like a bat out of hell to get to the next house to repeat the process.

My favorites are the little ones who just stand there. They don't speak or take candy. They're totally clueless but mesmorized by the experience.

So cute...

no kudzu, what kind of candy did you have? Any left?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Meh....so what?

My experience tonight was this....most every kid of any age was cute and polite. First trick or treater had no costume and did not say trick or treat. Just stood there with his bag open. He was about 5 or 6. When I said "what do you say?" He said "thank you!" I laughed and said "I meant "trick or treat?" but I'll take thank you..." LOL

Another little one, also about 5, grabbed as many pieces of candy as her hand could hold (about 5 "fun sized" candy bars), then left without saying thanks. Her mom was right there and said "aren't they cute?"

Another little girl looked into my bowl of candy bars and said "got any Skittles?" I said no, she settled on a Snickers and sulked away.

The few older kids I had all were in costume, all said thank you and were in small groups and seemed to be having a good time. No idea whether they left my house and texted anything to anyone. <shrugs>

Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't see how that's any different from the kids who run into each other in the street and tell each other the "good" houses for trick or treat. We used to do that when I was a kid in the olden days before cell phones. I don't think the kid did anything wrong and I probably would have found it amusing as well.
I agree w/ Momma_bear. This is nothing new, just getting the word out differently as to the best house. I'm also from the olden days before cell, yet word of mouth worked perfectly for finding the best houses to trick or treat at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Meh....so what?

My experience tonight was this....most every kid of any age was cute and polite. First trick or treater had no costume and did not say trick or treat. Just stood there with his bag open. He was about 5 or 6. When I said "what do you say?" He said "thank you!" I laughed and said "I meant "trick or treat?" but I'll take thank you..." LOL

Another little one, also about 5, grabbed as many pieces of candy as her hand could hold (about 5 "fun sized" candy bars), then left without saying thanks. Her mom was right there and said "aren't they cute?"

Another little girl looked into my bowl of candy bars and said "got any Skittles?" I said no, she settled on a Snickers and sulked away.

The few older kids I had all were in costume, all said thank you and were in small groups and seemed to be having a good time. No idea whether they left my house and texted anything to anyone. <shrugs>
When I have little trick or treaters go to grab and run, I remind them to say thank you. I don't care if the parents are standing there or not. It goes back to that saying, "It takes a village to raise our children", and children I encounter will be reminded of using manners.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I agree w/ Momma_bear. This is nothing new, just getting the word out differently as to the best house. I'm also from the olden days before cell, yet word of mouth worked perfectly for finding the best houses to trick or treat at.

When I have little trick or treaters go to grab and run, I remind them to say thank you. I don't care if the parents are standing there or not. It goes back to that saying, "It takes a village to raise our children", and children I encounter will be reminded of using manners.
Honestly, I was simply shocked. Over the years, I've found 99% of the kids that come to the house to be very polite. We've never had vandalism or rude kids so I just kind of expect a bunch of polite kids. The other kids she was with took 1 or 2 pieces and said thank you. Perhaps she was just caught up in the moment. She wasn't a child I knew and she was in a group...it was just unusual. Which is why it stuck in my mind.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Honestly, I was simply shocked. Over the years, I've found 99% of the kids that come to the house to be very polite. We've never had vandalism or rude kids so I just kind of expect a bunch of polite kids. The other kids she was with took 1 or 2 pieces and said thank you. Perhaps she was just caught up in the moment. She wasn't a child I knew and she was in a group...it was just unusual. Which is why it stuck in my mind.
I know, I still get shocked too when the parents are standing right there and allow a child to be impolite. I always do the handing out to prevent the greedy ones from grabbing too much. I just nicely remind them by saying "say thankyou" and really don't care what the parents think. I really don't understand these parents who fail to teach manners.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,754,589 times
If it was my kid I'd tell him to put the phone away and just enjoy a night outside without it, but then I am probably hopelessly outdated and old-fashioned when it comes to technology. In general, though, the idea doesn't outrage me, although it was certainly tacky to do it right in front of you! He might have thought you'd be proud; being one of the best candy houses in the neighborhood could be seen as an honor!

We didn't encounter any of that tonight, although I did hear one group of girls talk about how great their candy haul from us was; much of that depends on the luck of the draw, though. I started giving out a lot more when it became clear that we'd shut down for the night far before our candy supply ran out. I tried to stay consistent for each group that came through, but other than that it varied throughout the night. Another variable was if my son was "helping" give it out.

Almost all of our visitors tonight were polite. A few forgot to say thank you and were prodded by their parents, and one lunged for the bowl and selected his own candy before invited, but that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting