Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
The texting wouldn't have bothered me. Growing up, we always knew which houses were the best and which to avoid (just word-of-mouth back then).

What surprised me last night was how surprised other people were that my daughter did say thank you without prompting from me. It's sad when people get surprised that someone was polite (instead of the other way around).
I don't mean to be snide, but how do you know other people were surprised you daughter said "thank you"? Did they tell you that? We had kids say thank you all night, some prompted and some not. I never said anything other than "you're welcome".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,775,704 times
Usually it's when someone says 'wow, your child is so polite!' in a really shocked tone.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,252,058 times

Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,997,803 times
The past few years we've just left a big bowl of candy on the front steps, it's easier that way because our dogs go crazy every time the doorbell rings. We know all the kids and families in our neighborhood, a lot of people do the same thing. I could hear one boy rummaging through the candy, and running back to his mother, and she scolded him to return some of the candy to the bowl. We always get younger kids with their parents, the older ones like to go to neighborhoods with homes closer together. They know they get more candy with the least amount of walking that way.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,949,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I admit my reaction to the texting had to do with several things. First I had my yard aerated and reseeded and forgot to put up yellow tape to keep the kids off the lawn. The kids always cross the driveways to get to the next house even tho we have sidewalks. I wasn't surprised that the kids walked on the lawn but the adults did surprise. On any other night would an adult walk in the middle of your yard? OK so I'm sensitive about my yard and planting beds.
I get the lawn thing. I made it a point to walk the kids up and down the driveways between the houses instead of cutting across the lawns (we always tell them not to walk on other peoples lawns), it's just common courtesy. I didn't see any kids cut up our lawn, but I did see quite a few cutting across lawns to get from house to house while we were out.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,948,231 times
Kids have done this since the beginning of halloween. My friends and I sure talked about who was handing out the best stuff and who was handing out apples or bible pamphlets we just didn't have cell phones back then (the 80's).

Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,124,550 times
That didn't happen here. Of course, this is a VERY poor area, so no one really gives out great candy. Most of the kids seemed to be extremely happy just to be getting lots of candy. Also, I saw very, very few store bought costumes. I could see it happening in a more well off area, though, and it would bother me. When we were kids, we didn't tell people the best houses. We just went to every house in our neighborhood once.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:37 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,149,752 times
I think the texting is hilarious, just a sign of the times. We live in a small neighborhood, and got about 30 kids. I always buy full sized bars because we live at the top of a hill, and I figure the kids deserve a reward for the hike. This year I sat on the street though, because the doorbell drives my dogs into a frenzy. It was all over in an hour.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:51 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,179,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Kids have done this since the beginning of halloween. My friends and I sure talked about who was handing out the best stuff and who was handing out apples or bible pamphlets we just didn't have cell phones back then (the 80's).
LOL LOL

Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
That didn't happen here. Of course, this is a VERY poor area, so no one really gives out great candy. Most of the kids seemed to be extremely happy just to be getting lots of candy. Also, I saw very, very few store bought costumes.
I know your town. I lived a couple of towns over for a while. I gave out Jr. Snickers bars and you would think I was handing out twenty dollar bills. The parents would come right up to the door with the kids and if I complimented them on their costumes (yes, homemade) the parents would beam with pride. Halloween was a big deal. I LOVED Halloween there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting