Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,338,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I was a kid in the 1980s. Most of the people I knew made their own costumes, but I don't remember there being anywhere near as many mass-marketed costumes of this style geared towards young girls. Or if there were, maybe just none of my friends had parents who would buy them!

I think the I Dream of Jeannie is also different than, say, all the nursery tale characters or even things like bugs, that are not based on a TV show, but were designed intentionally to take a non-sexy (or skanky) costume and turn it totally inside out.

I don't think there's anything new about girls wanting to dress up and wear possibly revealing clothes, but there does seem be something new about the corporate encouragement of such a thing, and the sexualization of almost every outfit, even for those manufactured for kids and younger teens.
I hardly knew anyone who made their own costumes and I am in my 30s. But many, many men found (and still do) that woman, that archetype sexy. Does that mean girls shouldn't dress like that?

Corporate encouragement is the hallmark of this generation. They've never known anything but that and it's certainly not limited to costumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
No, it doesn't mean that girls shouldn't dress like that, but I still think there's a difference (as someone put it earlier) between sexy and skanky; I also think there's an issue of age-appropriateness, too. I don't think it's ethical of these companies to market these costumes like that, and I don't think parents should be allowing their preteen daughters to wear them. Not because I think men will look at them in a sexual way, but because I wonder why any parent would want their daughter to get the message, at that age, that they should be presenting themselves to the world in a way that defines them primarily by how they expose or highlight their bodies? Halloween is all about trying on new identities and yes, sometimes pushing the boundaries, but there seems to be nothing healthy about this message.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I thought flappers were just "modern women". I remember doing a history project about women getting the vote in 1921; I dressed up a Barbie doll in a flapper dress and made a voting booth for her.
Ummmm. Here's a history lesson, flappers were *scandalous*

Flappers in the Roaring Twenties

Quote:
In the 1920s, a new woman was born. She smoked, drank, danced, and voted. She cut her hair, wore make-up, and went to petting parties. She was giddy and took risks. She was a flapper.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
Sl#tty costumes aside, I hate the political correctness of Halloween today.

There's nothing wrong with scary costumes, cowboys with guns, witches, indians, etc.

It made me sick to see kids in elementary school go as bugs. Who really wants to be a bug?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, it doesn't mean that girls shouldn't dress like that, but I still think there's a difference (as someone put it earlier) between sexy and skanky; I also think there's an issue of age-appropriateness, too. I don't think it's ethical of these companies to market these costumes like that, and I don't think parents should be allowing their preteen daughters to wear them. Not because I think men will look at them in a sexual way, but because I wonder why any parent would want their daughter to get the message, at that age, that they should be presenting themselves to the world in a way that defines them primarily by how they expose or highlight their bodies? Halloween is all about trying on new identities and yes, sometimes pushing the boundaries, but there seems to be nothing healthy about this message.
I just don't get why sexy is ok, but skanky isn't. Isn't it in the eye of the beholder?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM

783 posts, read 2,259,888 times
Man... ***** **** skank... it really seems women are their own worse enemies.

The kids in my house know not to use the kind of language you're using right now. Why all the indignance?

Worry about your own kids. Problem solved.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Ummmm. Here's a history lesson, flappers were *scandalous*

Flappers in the Roaring Twenties

LOL - gotta love how she "smoked, drank, danced.....and voted"...

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

There's nothing wrong with scary costumes, cowboys with guns, witches, indians, etc.

It made me sick to see kids in elementary school go as bugs. Who really wants to be a bug?
My granddaughter loves bugs... She's 8, but has loved them since she was 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

My 17 year old sister who is going to be a lady bug.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Man... ***** **** skank... it really seems women are their own worse enemies.

The kids in my house know not to use the kind of language you're using right now. Why all the indignance?

Worry about your own kids. Problem solved.
Agreed. The judgmental crap about how other women dress is wrong, tiresome and contributes to women's social issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting